Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #31
Uncommon Valor

Brown Belt

vCash: 200
Why would it be too early?

"Donít do drugs, donít have unprotected sex, donít be violent. Leave that to me.Ē - Eminem
Uncommon Valor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #32
rudyray

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
If you have cable, ufc is on all the time for free. Fox has made it accessible to everyone. The sport is more mainstream than ever and still growing. I dont really see the issue. These days you can be a hardcore fan without ever purchasing a ppv.

rudyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #33
rudyray

Purple Belt

Back in the day there was no TV outlet that would carry ufc. So they really didnt have a choice, it was poverty or nothing

rudyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #34
DickNiaz1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeMonk View Post
Hey guys,

I've never posted a thread here before, in fact, I tend to read a lot more than I post. This subject has been on my mind for a few weeks now.

I look at the UFC and they say they're the fastest growing sport in the world. It doesn't really mean much as they're still miles from the huge sports. Each of the big sports are easily accessible to current fans and new fans alike and are available to a global audience.

You look at something like football/soccer for instance, the premier league has multiple matches every week and they're either available live or shortly after highlights are released in pretty much every country that's interested. And it's free or is included in your satellite package.

I look at the UFC and wonder how they will continue to gain more exposure. There's no real marquee fighters now that will draw in new fans, especially for the cost of a PPV card.

With boxing you could have Mayweather and Pacman sign a fight contract tomorrow and it would have millions of sales worldwide, this won't happen in the UFC as there's no megastars left and, even before, there's never been anyone with big enough star power to rival the sales.

So my question is - do you think that UFC having so many PPV cards will stunt their growth?

I also realize there's other reasons that may stunt the growth, I do believe this is a going to be a big factor, though.
Welcome to MMA man! It's a great sport with loyal fans (for the most part.) The UFC was started in 1993 and ONLY did PPVs until 2005. The UFC was built on PPVs and is the only reason they are successful today. Your fear of PPV is unfounded and uninformed. The PPV model should be embraced, it's how the UFC and the fighters make their money. Again, welcome to the greatest sport on Earth! Cheers

DickNiaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #35
panamaican

Silver Belt

vCash: 264
No. As everyone else already pointed out. The UFC would never have gotten any exposure except for PPV. It wasn't going to be on free tv, no one wanted it.

So PPV gave MMA a way to reach people who weren't at the live events. It was the best decision possible and now they are moving towards to more free shows.

panamaican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #36
Bigj383

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeMonk View Post
My question wasn't when did it start, it's whether the sport has been held back by so much being PPV.

The marquee fights are PPV and, lets be honest, they don't really sell that many in comparison to other sports.

Would they be selling more now if the sport was more accessible in the first place?
UFC has some of the highest average PPVs buys of any sport. If Floyd Maywhether was a sport then he would win hands down, but he's not. UFC regularly beats non floyd boxing ppvs.

In fact looking at top ppvs last year from all the info I can find stack up like this: (does not include WWE)
#1. Maywhether vs Alvarez
#2. Silva vs Weidman 2
#3. GSP vs Diaz
#4. Maywhether vs Guerrero
#5. GSP vs Hendricks
#6. Silva vs Weidman
#7. Jones vs Sonnen
#8. Paquiao vs Rios
#9. Rousey vs Carmouche
#10. Velasquez vs Bigfoot 2

The rumored waning popularity of the UFC is greatly exaggerated. The loss of GSP and injury of Silva could hurt them in the short run in terms of buys but UFC will build a replacement star as they always have.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #37
maccer349

Blue Belt

i think their viewing options in general are whats holding them back. I love this sport and try to follow it daily. I have changed my TV package several times to follow them from Fuel to FX to FS2 to FS1 (i dont remember the exact chronology) and now Fightpass. To be honest, I dont have too many friends that actually like this stuff, so PPV's are rarely bought. That leaves watching most of these fights on the internet once the PPV is over.

It would make much more sense to view an entire card in one spot. Imagine if the 1st quarter of an NFL game was on Facebook. The second quarter is on FS1 which you might not get. Then you watch the 2nd half on PPV if you have enough people to pitch in for the $60 price tag.

This kind of works for hardcore fans who are willing to jump through these hoops, but how in the hell are new fans supposed to be attracted? Maybe offer a PPV package similar to NFL Redzone or whatever it is.

In short, access to their fights is what is holding them back.

maccer349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #38
GrAtI

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
not really

GrAtI is online now   Reply With Quote