Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #41
sxbca

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Anyone else read that with GSP's accent?

Missing PB's Trolljobs ... he always swallowed
sxbca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #42
Mikeyz

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGene View Post
I still have a bad taste in my mouth with all this GSP shit. He is a great fighter, he was the champ, and he was the guy that I liked to root against. I hate this lack of closure. It all still feels highly anti-climactic.

After getting punched in the face and in my oppinion getting a bad decision win over Hendricks was not the time to announce he was stepping away from the sport. Could have been something he or his retainers announced before the fight or in the post fight press conference.
Give the guy a break.

When you are a champion as long as he was, that stress had to take it's toll on him.

He deserves this break and if he retires, that's fine too.

Jesus Christ, you guys are really starting to turn me into a fan of his.

cute and yet sexy

fun but not crazy

sexy but not slutty

tough but not butchy

Gina FTMFW.
Mikeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #43
Mikeyz

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxbca View Post
Anyone else read that with GSP's accent?
LOL, I did!

cute and yet sexy

fun but not crazy

sexy but not slutty

tough but not butchy

Gina FTMFW.
Mikeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #44
leolozon

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyz View Post
Give the guy a break.

When you are a champion as long as he was, that stress had to take it's toll on him.

He deserves this break and if he retires, that's fine too.

Jesus Christ, you guys are really starting to turn me into a fan of his.
Yeah, everyone wants another fight with Hendricks, but if not for the fans, GSP would have left before. Like he said, he had been thinking about taking a break for a while, but there was always another guy to fight. After Hendricks, he thought that would be enough, unfortunately the fight didn t go as planned.

There s always an other fighter coming up, early retirement can never be perfect. That must be why a lot of guys come back, sometimes for the worst (Ali, Favre, Jordans last stint, etc.).

leolozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #45
esum80

Purple Belt

as a gsp fan, i am glad he walked away.

i couldn't even watch after condit knocked him down with that combo.

"i trainy, i eaty, and i sleepy." - shogun.
esum80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #46
Credo
Punishment Belt

Location: In Sweden on the wrong path so donīt you damn laugh.
War GSP!!

Old 02-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #47
eddymotto

Black Belt

great find. thanks TS

eddymotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #48
GoatGoat

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyreborn View Post
I think he had to get away from the relentless training, and pressure of being champ.

I think he really cares about the future of MMA, so he's sharing his opinions. He's actually vocal now instead of being the PC robot he was while fighting.

I think this contrasts to e.g. Fedor who only fought for money. IMO, I don't believe Fedor will follow MMA closely in the future. And IMO I don't think he cares whether MMA remains popular or loses popularity.

I think GSP will continue following the sport, and I think he cares very much that the sport remains popular.

I believe the sport meant something more to GSP than money. GSP would probably still have been involved with combat sports even if the money was much less. Whereas for Fedor it was just a job (IMO).
Thanks for the thoughtful answer. Not sure I agree entirely with your assessment about Fedor, but it certainly helps me understand GSP's mindset.

Fortitudine Vincimus
GoatGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #49
CerebralKnievel

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFightFan View Post
someone once said that fighters have a 9 year prime. i have no idea where they got that idea, but empirical evidence seems to suggest they might be on to something:

Hughes: 1998-2006
GSP: 2004-2013
A Silva: 2004-2012
Fedor: 2000-2009
BJ Penn: 2001-2008

a few fighters don't stay on top for that length of time and/or aren't fighting top competition the whole time. and/or, as Hughes said after UFC46, "it's harder being on top always with a target on your back". Randy, Hendo, Barnett & Vitor come to mind. so their 15 year career is different than those mentioned above.

so the fact that GSP "burned out" (for lack of a better term) at 32 could have more to do with this (as-yet-undefined in my mind) law than the laws of physiology.

ya i'm just thinking out loud here. if anyone wanted to pick up on this and continue, i'd be happy to engage this thought further, just not sure where to take it from here.....
9 years is comically precise. I've always felt that MMA careers are generally 10 years, within the fighter's peak performance.

This is something people consistently overlook when they yammer ignorantly about how the younger guys like Jones or Max Holloway still have years of growing before they even reach their peak. They don't, because the reality is that they'll have accrued injuries and fatigue that will prevent them from competing full time once they're into their 30s.

There's certainly no mystifying enigma to it. Once you begin to train full time, you're going to be subjecting your body to a regimen that can't be sustained forever.

CerebralKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #50
GSP_37

Red Belt

vCash: 608

GSP_37 is offline   Reply With Quote