Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #31
rjmbrd

Black Belt

vCash: 500
I'm fairly confident in Barao's ability to not just beat but absolutely torch just about everyone in the division, so a second loss to TJ wouldn't be that big of a deal. He's 27, worst case scenario it takes him a year and change to put together three big wins to get another shot.

rjmbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #32
BigGulp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie "Shadow" Munro View Post
I agree with MM here, I think Barao can still win the rematch but it would have been much smarter to take 1 other fight or have it booked later in the year.

This kinda reminds me of Velasquez Dos Santos 3.
That Hunt Fight and spin head kick as impressive as it was, didn't show the skills necessary to deal with Cain's style.
that's a little different. Hunt is a counter puncher, he's going to struggle against guys like JDS and Miocic b/c he loses out on the athleticism. Anyone that can fight well from the outside, getting in and out will give Hunt problems.

All that did was increase JDS's confidence, which ultimately didn't help him.

the only thing that can be said for Barao is that he may have been taken off guard by TJ's Cruz impersonation. he looked completely bewildered during the first round.

Barao is also a counter puncher, and I seriously doubt anything is going to change in this fight. His counter punching style can't deal with the kind of in and out movement that TJ or Cruz brings. If Barao tries to pull a BJ Peen and change up his style to try and deal with the movement, it will probably end worse for him.

BigGulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #33
JKS

Titanium Belt

I think barao will be fine! I think he had a bad night and just fought like shit. This time he says he's feeling better and will better prepared. He's still got another 6 weeks as well. I think barao is better then he showed us and doesn't really need to improve much,just more fight like himself. Everyone has a off night or camp here and there.

Wand
Shogun
Nog(s)
Anderson
Dos Santos
Sergei
Vitor
Barnett
Aldo
Jacare
Erick Silva
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #34
LutkusManagemen

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmbrd View Post
I'm fairly confident in Barao's ability to not just beat but absolutely torch just about everyone in the division, so a second loss to TJ wouldn't be that big of a deal. He's 27, worst case scenario it takes him a year and change to put together three big wins to get another shot.
U are right. They are both super young and the division isn't that deep. They will probably fight more in the future (if one of then doesn't chance weight classes)

LutkusManagemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #35
Geordie "Shadow" Munro
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGulp View Post
that's a little different. Hunt is a counter puncher, he's going to struggle against guys like JDS and Miocic b/c he loses out on the athleticism. Anyone that can fight well from the outside, getting in and out will give Hunt problems.

All that did was increase JDS's confidence, which ultimately didn't help him.

the only thing that can be said for Barao is that he may have been taken off guard by TJ's Cruz impersonation. he looked completely bewildered during the first round.

Barao is also a counter puncher, and I seriously doubt anything is going to change in this fight. His counter punching style can't deal with the kind of in and out movement that TJ or Cruz brings. If Barao tries to pull a BJ Peen and change up his style to try and deal with the movement, it will probably end worse for him.
You missed the point of the post... big time.
I'm not comparing styles or athleticism of bantamweights to heavyweights.

I'm saying that when one guy clearly poses stylistic problems to the other, having a quick turn around without adequate time to develop, isn't the best choice.

Also its going to be much harder from a marketing stand point to get a 3rd fight with TJ (should Barao lose again).

Last edited by Geordie "Shadow" Munro; 07-17-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Geordie "Shadow" Munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #36
Lanshire

Silver Belt

He's right. I do think Barao has a good shot of winning the rematch, but I'd pick TJ as a slight favorite.