Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Broad Blade

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
PPV Numbers can be deceiving.

If you look at the various functions and capability in how to watch the event live, or even after, PPV numbers may just be half of the story. Or is it?

If you purchase your ppv event through UFC's website, or on youtube(and whatever distributional channel they carry; including the replays) how much of that do you think plays a factor in how much money they make for these ppv events?

Although the PPV numbers may seem particularly low to some people, maybe that's just half of the story.

Broad Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Broad Blade

Brown Belt

Percentage wise, I guesstimate it's 65% through TV, and 35% through other media channels...

Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Broad Blade

Brown Belt

Btw, I don't think they count the other channels as ppv numbers...

Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
pv3Hpv3p

Purple Belt

PPV numbers are mostly just educated guesses. Zuffa does not have to and generally does not release the ppv #s, so they are always going to be more of a guideline or litmus stick as oppose to hard and fast data.

pv3Hpv3p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Broad Blade

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv3Hpv3p View Post
PPV numbers are mostly just educated guesses. Zuffa does not have to and generally does not release the ppv #s, so they are always going to be more of a guideline or litmus stick as oppose to hard and fast data.
I understand that, but I was talking about the "alleged" numbers that get dispursed here and there that doesn't count all the other channels for a ppv event... (live and replays)

Old 01-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
jewelsjr05

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv3hpv3p View Post
ppv numbers are mostly just educated guesses. Zuffa does not have to and generally does not release the ppv #s, so they are always going to be more of a guideline or litmus stick as oppose to hard and fast data.
id agree there

jewelsjr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
INTERL0PER

Orange Belt

I often wonder about this myself.

Of course, there is no way to accurately gauge these kinds of things, but I pretty much ALWAYS go to a local bar to watch the events. I don't have the ability to pay for the PPV (don't have a tv hooked up) and the one time I tried using UFC.tv, it fucked me over royally -- I paid for UFC 162 on ufc.tv, pre-ordered but ended up trying to watch it after the event, so I started it and for some goddamn fucking reason it thought the best thing to play was the slow mo replay of the main event. Literally the first thing I saw was Weidman playing basketball with Silva's head. So, instead of watching the biggest upset of the year, I got it ruined for me.

Anyway, that rant aside, I always notice a huge influx of people for the "big" ppv's (148, 167, 168 etc) at the bar and I always wonder if those people would usually be ordering ppv's, or if they're casuals who only watch the big shows.

Then there is streaming etc.

The amount of PPV buys =/= the amount of viewers, that's for damn sure.

Cain-JDS-Bones-Spider-GSP-NBK-Ares-Diaz-Cowboy-Showtime-Aldo-Zombie-Conor-Pickett
INTERL0PER is offline   Reply With Quote