Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #81
respectall**
Banned

vCash: 500
Without the cheating he would have probably pulled out of the fight so instead we get the fight and hunt got more money Bigfoot is the only one who loses here

respectall** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #82
kpt018

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
Because all the people who do have an issue with it are just slowing down progress.

As a long time MMA fan, no one in the Pride era gave a fuck if their fighters were doing steroids because they weren't illegal.

The only reason TRT/steroids is a debate or touchy issue is because there's a stupid rule on it.

That's like saying something is wrong, and when asked why, they explain it with "because it's wrong".

It makes no sense.

You remember back in the day weed was a gateway drug and if you took one puff, you would be giving hand jobs for crack rocks by the end of the night?

Same thing with steroids.

It's not like 1 injection and you turn into the Incredible Hulk and go on a rampage.

As long as a person is educated about it, it's actually good for you. It's a supplement that works very well.

That's a stupid reason to outlaw something: because it works too well.
If this is a conversation about legalization of drugs, there's no need to have it because I think they should be legal (or at least decriminalized). And I have no moral issues with people who use steroids or any other drugs.

I am talking about competitive balance. As long as some guys are using and some aren't, you don't have it. I also don't readily believe that steroids are safe. I understand that they are demonized, but I have spoken to doctors about them and they still believe they can be very dangerous (as used by athletes in large doses for competitive advantages). I'm open to info to the contrary however.

I don't know what you mean by slowing down progress. I guess you're right if you mean artificial lab created progress in PEDs. But does that makes sports better. I don't know.

kpt018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #83
Driven

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt018 View Post
If this is a conversation about legalization of drugs, there's no need to have it because I think they should be legal (or at least decriminalized). And I have no moral issues with people who use steroids or any other drugs.

I am talking about competitive balance. As long as some guys are using and some aren't, you don't have it. I also don't readily believe that steroids are safe. I understand that they are demonized, but I have spoken to doctors about them and they still believe they can be very dangerous (as used by athletes in large doses for competitive advantages). I'm open to info to the contrary however.

I don't know what you mean by slowing down progress. I guess you're right if you mean artificial lab created progress in PEDs. But does that makes sports better. I don't know.

By slowing down the progress I mean the people who latch onto the demonized version of steroids and think it is just absolutely cheating based off of nothing.

Anything can be dangerous if the people going about whatever is in question go about it like an idiot.

It is tricky with MMA because a person should be able to do what they want with their own body, but this is about fucking someone else up.

I would still say they should be legal because we have had a grand total of zero deaths resulting from fighting.

Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #84
Sosua

Brown Belt

TRT only evens the playing field.

You know, like letting guys with missing legs fight with titanium robotic limbs.

Sosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #85
warriorscomeout

Black Belt

Looks more like a medical fuck-up than cheating.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #86
kmasonbx

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelman View Post
Gutted.

Last week I was arguing for Bigfoot-Hunt to win the Fight Of The Year ahead of Jones-Gus or Gil-Sanchez or Johnson-Dodson etc, because I was just blown away by it.

Now we find out it was an unequal, unfair, artificial bout, where one guy wielded an illegal advantage that the other did not have and was wholly unprepared for.

I picked Bigfoot to win beforehand, but I figured he'd get lit up on the feet early by Hunt, realize he had to get it to the ground, secure takedowns on Hunt, and then work his way to a submission victory.

I found myself shocked by how quick Bigfoot seemed in those first two rounds, compared to normal. He was very light on his feet and was really snapping those kicks out and doing extremely well on the feet vs a very good striker.

I was also shocked by the supreme resilience he displayed in the fifth round. At one point Bigfoot looked like he couldn't see out of his right eye due to blood, and Hunt was just cracking him with hook after hook. The amount of clean shots he absorbed in that last round without going down was nothing short of incredible, especially considering it was Mark fucking Hunt throwing them bombs. We all saw Bigfoot fall to pieces when he was hit cleanly by Dan Cormier. How had he gone from that to becoming the Brazilian Roy Nelson!?

Both of these aspects could have been the result of Bigfoot's cheating. I feel so bad for Mark Hunt. He went in there and took punishment from an artificially enhanced competitor, while he himself was natural and clean.

A rematch with Olympic style random blood testing etc all the way up to the fight is called for, so Hunt can deal Silva the knockout defeat he so richly deserves.

ADDITION: I know TRT is not really a 'PED', but I'm writing from the perspective of someone who believes use of TRT in MMA is wrong and should not be permitted.
This just shows that people have no idea how TRT works. The odds are on fight night Hunt's T levels were higher than Big Foot's. When you are taking TRT your T levels cannot go over a certain level which is about in the middle of the "normal range" so somebody not on TRT can have a level at the high end of the normal range and not get flagged.

kmasonbx is offline   Reply With Quote