Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:45 AM   #81
Joe
:)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandergreat3 View Post
By the way, this is why I'm skeptical of the PPV numbers that get reported:

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/30/39...-view-buys-mma
Why is Quinton Jackson on a "Rampage" about leaving UFC? According to the ex-champ, his employer has been lying about how many pay-per-views it sells, either to inflate its position in the media -- or to shortchange its fighters.

"In my opinion, I feel like me and the rest of the UFC fighters are getting taken advantage of. I feel like the UFC is cleaning house. The pay-per-view dollars? They tell me one number, but then they tell the press another. Pay me the numbers that you tell the press! Don't tell me, 'Oh, we only sold this many,' then you tell the press, 'Oh we sold this many!' But then I'm saying, 'Hey, you only told me we sold 800,000 buys but you told the press you sold a million buys.' Then they say 'Oh, we just say that for the press.' No, pay me what you told the press because you lyin' somewhere. You either lyin' to me or you lyin' to the press about the pay-per-view numbers. If they're doing it to me, I'm sure they're doing it to other fighters."
did rampage ever audit? he should have. that's if he is actually being truthful here.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:51 AM   #82
Bigj383

Silver Belt

Quote:
1. Feedback from fans -- determining PPV numbers by feedback from fans?

2. Social media -- determining PPV numbers by seeing how many Twitter messages there are? LOL! WTF?!

3. Google searches -- what is the correlation between Google searches and PPV sales? Has there been any actual research showing that Google searches equal PPV sales? If not, this means nothing.

4. Comparisons with previous events -- this is a circular reasoning.

Q: "How do we know the PPV numbers of this event is accurate"?
A: "We look at the PPV numbers of previous events."

Q: "But how do we know the PPV numbers of previous events are accurate"?
A: "We look at the PPV numbers of events before that!"

LOL!

This is the only thing that matters. Does Meltzer have insider info from the cable company? Unless there are some concrete evidence, we're basically going off of what's being told.

As you said, the WWE has to release their number publicly, so it does not require inside sources to get the accurate number.

Now, hypothetically speaking, let's say that Meltzer does in fact know someone inside the cable company who has access to all the sale number, the logical questions are:

1. How do we know Meltzer is reporting the real numbers without fabrications?
2. Does Meltzer have any incentives to fabricate the PPV numbers?

Hypothetically speaking, what if Meltzer's reports favor Dana, would Dana call him out on them?

If there is only one source reporting the PPV numbers - one source - how do we know he's telling the whole truth?
Meltzer would have no reason to fabricate numbers. Also Dana and Meltzer butt heads all the time. Very often you see Dana pissed at stuff Meltzer wrote.

Kevin Iole has reported numbers as well. He and Meltzer have had similar numbers.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #83
Bigj383

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mencia View Post
did rampage ever audit? he should have. that's if he is actually being truthful here.
He had a right to, if he didn't his management sucks.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:08 AM   #84
JKS

Steel Belt

Could be some good numbers....they really hyped it up

Wand
Shogun
Nog(s)
Anderson
Dos Santos
Sergei
Vitor
Barnett
Aldo
Jacare
Erick Silva
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #85
JJLong

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
As you said, the WWE has to release their number publicly, so it does not require inside sources to get the accurate number.

Now, hypothetically speaking, let's say that Meltzer does in fact know someone inside the cable company who has access to all the sale number, the logical questions are:

1. How do we know Meltzer is reporting the real numbers without fabrications?
2. Does Meltzer have any incentives to fabricate the PPV numbers?
Meltzer releases his WWE PPV numbers months before WWE actually does.

Have you listened to Meltzer? The guy is like a machine, he does not have normal human biases, especially when it comes do data and he does not fabricate it.

He said that UFC 161: Henderson vs Rashad did 140,000 buys on PPV. Don't you think Dana would have called him on a number like that if it wasn't true or close to the true number?

JJLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #86
stav

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLong View Post
Meltzer releases his WWE PPV numbers months before WWE actually does.

Have you listened to Meltzer? The guy is like a machine, he does not have normal human biases, especially when it comes do data and he does not fabricate it.

He said that UFC 161: Henderson vs Rashad did 140,000 buys on PPV. Don't you think Dana would have called him on a number like that if it wasn't true or close to the true number?
Don't worry dude. It like talking to cult members on this forum sometimes.

Fedor doesn't need to walk on Water (22/08/07)

"Oh my goodness!! Did you see that?? He ran up the wall like a Ninja!!" Bonnar WEC 53
stav is offline   Reply With Quote