Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion > The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion Discuss The Ultimate Fighter reality show and Spike-related topics here.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
pudgelarson36

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotalDisorder View Post
yeah but you didn't watch so you don't actually know.....
I suppose I have been defeated once again.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
PivotalDisorder
Banned

vCash: 33989
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgelarson36 View Post
I suppose I have been defeated once again.
Dana was the most enthusiastically effeminate

PivotalDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
DrStrong

Green Belt

I don't have a problem with TUF, I've always enjoyed them. I somewhat enjoy the "Real World" type stuff in the house because I used to watch The Real World back in the day.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
PivotalDisorder
Banned

vCash: 33989
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrong View Post
I don't have a problem with TUF, I've always enjoyed them. I somewhat enjoy the "Real World" type stuff in the house because I used to watch The Real World back in the day.
the real world sucked before the internet and reality tv

PivotalDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
DrStrong

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotalDisorder View Post
the real world sucked before the internet and reality tv
I'm talking about in the late 90's.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #16
Bloodworth

Black Belt

I thought it was fine...Fun show, everyone seems normal...WTF is wrong with everyone...A mma show and in todays world people find something to complain about, no matter what.............What show is on TV now that is more watchable then Tuf???

Bloodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
Stuhby

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrong View Post
First of all, don't watch if you don't like...

Secondly, I don't see what the problem is. The first episode was filled with elimination fights, like all other seasons. There were exciting fights both with the men and women, finishes and subs. I remember when the complaints use to be not enough finishes, only decisions.

Besides that, the production value is awesome, not as good as the Sonnen/Jones season, IMO, but still awesome. I do understand the dislike towards Tate/Rousey, though, the previews seem like it's going to be filled with a lot of bitchy attitude and bickering.

Bottom line is that besides the coaches, the fighters seem interesting enough.
I'll try to help.

Think of a venn diagram. On one side, you have people who thoroughly enjoy reality-based competition shows (Big Brother/Survivor/Real World). The opposite side, you have big fans of Fighting. The people in the middle are few and far between.

------
Now, on to your points.
-Yes. The first episode -was- filled with elimination fights. Less than half (6 of 16) of said fights were shown in their entirety. For the other ten, more time was spent giving introductions to fighters than their actual fights. In some instances, this would be great. Heavyweights season? Fast-forward through all of it. But a lot of the fights they "Performance Highlight"ed were what looked to be great fights (Chris Beal/The family-of-fighters black gal/La Rosa v Moras).

-You over generalize when you say "Too many decisions", as many people will tell you - decisions can be way more entertaining than finishes are. The "I talk like Anderson Silva" vs "My mustache gives me confidence" fight is a prime example. Decision, but thoroughly entertaining. I can't say for sure, but of the fights they -didn't- fastforward through, at least two - maybe half - of which were decisions. The complaint I have with this season specifically is with the way that was handled.

-The production value is fairly secondary to me. Jones/Sonnen was a great season because they showed minimal house activity, and lots of gym activity. They abandoned that for more ratings, instead of quality.

-I (and I certainly only speak for myself) don't care what the personalities of these fighters are or how interesting they appear to be. -ESPECIALLY- not during the premier episode where half of them are going to disappear off the face of the MMA planet and never be heard from again. The ones who -do- make it to the house? You hear their backstory again every time they fight. It makes no sense to cut out the Fighting from the Ultimate Fighter to give a little personal airtime to people who didn't make pre-pre-pre-prelims. If it's a show about a competition, you would think the actual competition would get full airtime.

Lastly; Yeah, it's just the premier episode, and we can't deduce how they'll handle the rest of the season. But if they continue to "Coming up, after the break!" the fights, I can't imagine people sticking around. If the point of watching the Ultimate Fighter -isn't- watching young (sorry LaRosa), hungry fighters competing for a contract, I'm not sure what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodworth View Post
I thought it was fine...Fun show, everyone seems normal...WTF is wrong with everyone...A mma show and in todays world people find something to complain about, no matter what.............What show is on TV now that is more watchable then Tuf???
It is looking like it's as much an MMA show as "Survivor" is a show about an island (...they were on an island at one point right? FIIK, stick with me). It's setting, at best. It's not what the show is shaping up to be about. But the first episode is hardly an end-all-be-all.

Lots of shows are more watchable than TUF. But I'll just let your hyperbole sit there.

Last edited by Stuhby; 09-07-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Stuhby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Ippy

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
A stark contrast from previous seasons like Rampage vs Rashad.
Boom. Headshot.

I don't know if the double standards are intentional or accidental, but damn are they prevalent.

Ippy is offline   Reply With Quote