Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Boxing Discussion

Boxing Discussion The Suite of the Sweet Science of Fisticuffs.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
SureDawq

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznCezi187 View Post
An ass whoopin if you're not ready!
I'm sure there will be plenty of ass whoopins that's all a part of the process. I don't plan on sparring until I get a couple months of training in so that I don't get my ass whooped that bad lol :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manziel MVP View Post
I would KO you, don't even try.
Oh, wow, that's impressive. Someone who has been in boxing for perhaps a while being able to KO a total noob who has no experience in a combat sport. Not srs.

SureDawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
MEGAhorse

Green Belt

[QUOTE=SureDawq;98152663]For someone like me who is just looking to train rather than going into amateur/pro boxing, should this be a concern? Is sparring enough to mess with your brain or is brain damage/problems reserved for amateur/pro boxing? Thanks for the response btw.

Yes it is definitely a possibility. Hard sparring can be almost identical to competition and there is no ref to moderate it. Just be choosey with you sparring partners and always set ground rules. There's no shame in it and sparring is your opportunity to learn, not get your head smashed.

For example you could grab someone and ask if they want to just practice the jab for a round, or anything involving the lead hand. Next round you can incorporate the straight or anything involving the rear hand etc. This helps build up the fundamentals while still exposing you to some of the realities you'll face.

Your also going to get a lot of opinions on the boxing forum from people that act like they participate in the sport, but really have trained under a couple months or not at all. The more technical the poster is the more experience they probably have. If they express hardline opinions that are generic they probably don't train, trained a class or two and quit, or are just repeating what they've heard.

'...learn to love death's ink-black shadow as much as you love the light of dawn. '
MEGAhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
VicariousVice

Purple Belt

You didn't already know that Boxing causes brain damage... I mean, seriously?

VicariousVice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
SureDawq

White Belt

[QUOTE=MEGAhorse;98169633]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SureDawq View Post
For someone like me who is just looking to train rather than going into amateur/pro boxing, should this be a concern? Is sparring enough to mess with your brain or is brain damage/problems reserved for amateur/pro boxing? Thanks for the response btw.

Yes it is definitely a possibility. Hard sparring can be almost identical to competition and there is no ref to moderate it. Just be choosey with you sparring partners and always set ground rules. There's no shame in it and sparring is your opportunity to learn, not get your head smashed.

For example you could grab someone and ask if they want to just practice the jab for a round, or anything involving the lead hand. Next round you can incorporate the straight or anything involving the rear hand etc. This helps build up the fundamentals while still exposing you to some of the realities you'll face.

Your also going to get a lot of opinions on the boxing forum from people that act like they participate in the sport, but really have trained under a couple months or not at all. The more technical the poster is the more experience they probably have. If they express hardline opinions that are generic they probably don't train, trained a class or two and quit, or are just repeating what they've heard.
Thanks man! best post ITT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicariousVice View Post
You didn't already know that Boxing causes brain damage... I mean, seriously?
Where did I say that? I know being punch drunk/having brain damage is highly likely as an amateur/pro boxer, but just wasn't sure if it's common for those who just train/spar.

SureDawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
CatchnShoot

White Belt

vCash: 2024
Lots of good info here, and as has been pointed out, there is a spectrum of risk depending on your level of involvement, and location.

For example: I would never advise you to train in Anne Wolfe's gym because even the sparring is guaranteed to shorten your lifespan. I mean, if it's your only way out, sure, but if you have options, choose column B.

Once upon a time the Kronk gym was notorious for brutal gym wars, and that's one thing, but Wolfe's sparring sessions can look like she's trying to train a pit bull to love the taste of blood.

There are also a number of locations that can train both nowadays though, so you may not have to choose one or the other 100%.

Depending on where you live, your options can vary significantly. In some cities you can find all sorts of options, and in others you may have to travel quite a distance to get to a decent set up.
Like the one fellow remarked, you can see if a gym is clean within the first 1/2 an hour, but even the cleanest appearing gyms can have a run of Staph. Shit, even hospitals have to occasional shut a wing down to do decontamination if MRSA etc. gets loose.
So, where you at? Some of these mugs may have some first hand reviews for you.

CatchnShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
CatchnShoot

White Belt

vCash: 2024
Why NOT come back for more? I mean, I assume he'd already have contracted the HIV from you, so what more is there to risk?

CatchnShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #17
MEGAhorse

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manziel MVP View Post
You would never come back to a boxing gym if you sparred me in the streets or the ring!
Lol. You're just playingg around. Right?

'...learn to love death's ink-black shadow as much as you love the light of dawn. '
Old 08-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
MEGAhorse

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by manziel mvp View Post
what? You want some too. I got plenty to go around.
lol

Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #19
Gotosleepho

Green Belt

dementia pugilistica

Gotosleepho is offline   Reply With Quote