Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
eatthisjerry

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniswhiz View Post
I don't completely agree. He has a full time job as a BOPE officer. He is also married with twin children.
After he lost to Kampmann and Sanchez, he said he was going to try and put in more time training MMA, but with all his existing commitments, how much could he do?
So what? He spent a lot of time shooting photo sessions in Brazil as BOPE officer, holding guns and shit when he actually needed to focus in the fucking MMA.
Same speech, always "well, I talked to the guys here in BOPE and I'll be free to train". Then when he fails people go like "well, he's a cop afterall".

Quote:
It wasn't just the KO over Kos. The sub over Swick was a big deal too.
A married guy with two kids, and a full time job, KO'ing Kos and subbing Swick, is pretty impressive.

At this point, he's probably not getting any better and should probably retire or fight in a smaller show.
Honestly, there are a ton of fighters with kids and married. Anderson has five lol
His only chance to be a real MMA fighter was to start slowly in UFC. Fighting low-tier guys, with no spotlights on him at all. But he took the other way around.

Quote:
As for making fun of rankings, it's based on what happens. Yea, someone can fall from grace.
Hardy was ranked #4 WW at one point. Swick was #7 or so. Kos was in the Top 10 for a long time.
When Thiago got that ranking he earned it.
When you look in the rearview mirror, you can criticize any rankings that are outdated.
Rearview mirror? I criticized those shitty rankings at the moment I've seen Paulo as #3. It just shows how poor are these rankings criteria. Two straight wins over Swick and Kos are indeed impressive, but coming from Jungle Fight it's a dangerous hype to buy.
I remember people praising his grappling, for not being submitted when he fought DHK and Fitch... he got totally manhandled. It's not like he was sweeping or blocking positions, he was dominated. We can say he survived inside the octagon.

Every single MMA fan with a little of knowledge would see he was clueless in the ground. Against Volkmann (which I agree is a competent grappler) I couldn't even count how many times he gave his back, losing ridiculous positions like a white belt.

New Josť Aldo subtitled interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGY6yxktnzw

MMAStation soon... (@MMAStationBR)
eatthisjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #22
AdrianandAdrien

Purple Belt

WSOF for a rematch with Fitch.

AdrianandAdrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
ironfist05

Brown Belt

hopefully something winnable, he's a good fighter, but he just can't compete with the big dogs anymore. I could see him becoming a respectable gatekeeper

I will be attending Johns Hopkins next year
ironfist05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
MestizoIV

Brown Belt

Either cut or Dan Miller. Their wins & losses in their last 5 fights are identical & they pretty much have the same BJJ based style

WW: Ellenberger
LW: Grant
FW: KZ
BW: Wineland
FLW: Horiguchi
WBW: Miesha
MestizoIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #25
ABSthetics

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by justblaze717 View Post
He looks like he aged quickly just these past 2 or 3 years.
Being a BOPE probably isn't too easy on the nerves and ones stress levels. High stress situations will make anyone look like utter shit in the span of several months.

A Modern Day James Dean in the Same Jeans.

"Off topic, but still important. Your AV's are always P4P the best. No contest."
-MMA Maine-iac
ABSthetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #26
blitzk

Brown Belt

vCash: 904
Quote:
I don't completely agree. He has a full time job as a BOPE officer. He is also married with twin children.
After he lost to Kampmann and Sanchez, he said he was going to try and put in more time training MMA, but with all his existing commitments, how much could he do?

It wasn't just the KO over Kos. The sub over Swick was a big deal too.
A married guy with two kids, and a full time job, KO'ing Kos and subbing Swick, is pretty impressive.

At this point, he's probably not getting any better and should probably retire or fight in a smaller show.

As for making fun of rankings, it's based on what happens. Yea, someone can fall from grace.
Hardy was ranked #4 WW at one point. Swick was #7 or so. Kos was in the Top 10 for a long time.
When Thiago got that ranking he earned it.
When you look in the rearview mirror, you can criticize any rankings that are outdated.
good one.

blitzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
justblaze717

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSthetics View Post
Being a BOPE probably isn't too easy on the nerves and ones stress levels. High stress situations will make anyone look like utter shit in the span of several months.
Word up.

@justbliggity
justblaze717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
dawnignited
such handsome (only face)

vCash: 900
Probably cut, but I hope not. The guy got thrown right into the deep end right from the get go in the UFC. Koscheck, Fitch, Volkmann (originally supposed to fight Alves), Swick, Kampmann, Sanchez. That's crazy. Cut the guy a break for a couple fights.

dawnignited is offline   Reply With Quote