Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
PrettyBoyF

White Belt

vCash: 500
Partial Bicep Tendon Tear

Anybody ever recovered from this without surgery ? I have recently being injured and saw a doc, said it was a tendon tear but it isn't major. However he said it will never be back to its original state, and Im really worried. He said that I also could not compete at Olympics or pro. of course im not aiming that high , but what Im worrying about is that what he means is that I'll only ever compete at recreational level?

Boxing is a tough sport that really puts a lot of stress on the body. I don't know how to take this. Hopefully there is someone else on here that has experienced this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Also, sorry for double posting, I posted this in the Standup forum too. Trying to get to more people)

PrettyBoyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
handspeed

Orange Belt

I feel for you man, I do. I wouldn't want to see anyone come across an obstacle that could possibly prevent them from doing the things they want to do.

I would ask a bunch of questions, but I am no doctor. All I can say is where there's a will there's a way. I wouldn't doubt surgery and rehabilitation afterwards would bring you back closest to the state you want to be.

Best of luck TS, and may your recovery be quick. Hope all goes well for you in the future.

Showtime Pettis
Mighty Mouse Johnson

Grew up watching: Fedor, Cro Cop, IceMan, Rampage, Wand, Hughes, Penn
handspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #3
mmashotokan

Orange Belt

My read of the medical sites is that a partial biceps tendon tear can be often managed without surgery if a full return to strength in the arm is not required. But if a full return to strength is required (e.g., competitive athlete), surgery is necessary.

I agree with previous post. Consult as widely as you can, whether it's with another doc, or with a physical therapist who has sports expertise (preferably more than one). Have a conversation about your prognosis and your athletic goals, so you're armed with the info you need to make the best decision you can given the circumstances.

Good luck to you. I've been battling neck, shoulder, and knee injuries for years while trying to keep active in martial arts -- it's tough going sometimes

Last edited by mmashotokan; 04-05-2014 at 02:39 AM. Reason: typo
mmashotokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:22 AM   #4
PrettyBoyF

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by handspeed View Post
I feel for you man, I do. I wouldn't want to see anyone come across an obstacle that could possibly prevent them from doing the things they want to do.

I would ask a bunch of questions, but I am no doctor. All I can say is where there's a will there's a way. I wouldn't doubt surgery and rehabilitation afterwards would bring you back closest to the state you want to be.

Best of luck TS, and may your recovery be quick. Hope all goes well for you in the future.
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmashotokan View Post
My read of the medical sites is that a partial biceps tendon tear can be often managed without surgery if a full return to strength in the arm is not required. But if a full return to strength is required (e.g., competitive athlete), surgery is necessary.

I agree with previous post. Consult as widely as you can, whether it's with another doc, or with a physical therapist who has sports expertise (preferably more than one). Have a conversation about your prognosis and your athletic goals, so you're armed with the info you need to make the best decision you can given the circumstances.

Good luck to you. I've been battling neck, shoulder, and knee injuries for years while trying to keep active in martial arts -- it's tough going sometimes
The problem with surgery is that it is kind of a big operation, (at least thats what the doc said) and he said that it is not very effective. I also worry about the cost. I don't earn a single cent from boxing, it is just my passion. I only fought two times and this is really a joke. If I got this injury at the end of my career I wouldnt be so bummed about it.
It's really such a joke. Just a week ago I was wondering if I had what it takes to be good, now Im wondering if Im even ever gonna train at 100% again.

PrettyBoyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
Cid6000

White Belt

What's the degree of tear? What's left can heal and you can resume range of motion, but if it is something like a 50% tear, you now have half the muscle fibers to bear the load you put on them than you did before the injury (which means you should really consider the surgery).

A coach of mine tore his bicep ~60% and it needed surgery. He got it and, after about four to five months, he was mostly back.

I tore my calf doing a squat wrong once (it felt/sounded like a shirt tearing against my skin), but it was very minor and I was told by a PA on base I could resume light lifting after five to seven days and then heavy lifting three to four days later. I have a divot on my calf where to torn part reattached higher up, but it is very small and I didn't notice any changes in strength - it would not have made sense for me to have surgery.

So it really comes down to the amount of tear that occurred and what sort of insurance you have (I.e. Can you afford it).

Off.

- Rousimar Palhares
Cid6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Cid6000

White Belt

My coach was north of 45 when he had the surgery, so when I say mostly back, I think age played a factor in that.

Off.

- Rousimar Palhares
Cid6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
PivotPunch

Brown Belt

vCash: 1580
If money isn't the issue get surgery if the doctor says it wouldn't be very effective look for another doctor if possible someone who works with athletes (if you have enough money). I have seen ton of athletes with damaged biceps so I guess it's because of a biceps tear I have never ehard of that being a career ender even for elite athletes. I have no knowledge on the medical aspect but seriously how many fighters have you seen with deformed biceps? Robbie Lawlor, Hendricks fought with a damaged biceps against Lawlor and only got surgergy afterwards and ton of other MMA fighters and boxers have torn their biceps and I have never heard of that being any reason why they experienced a decline. Just from my experience as a fan bicep tears are really common in fighters and it shouldn't make a noticeable difference after surgery.
If money is the issue that's another problem but if you have the money and you should be back 100% if pro fighters have no trouble coming back you won't have it. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are 100 things that could be worse than a biceps tendon tear I don't think there's any pro fighter in MMA or boxing who eevr had to end his career because of that or even experienced a noticeable decline.

I have no medical knowledge so correct me if I'm wrong

PivotPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
containerman1

White Belt

Tear

As long as its not unattached from underneath your arm pit it will heal up on its own. Give it 6 weeks rest. I have had a torn Bicep, Torn Pec and torn Thigh ( Which I have right now and it sucks but my Dr said rest and its been 5 weeks its almost ready to get back after it. )

containerman1 is offline   Reply With Quote