Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #141
rkquest

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonGodMachin View Post
I know that's not how they determine a 10-8, I'm saying that's how they should determine a 10-8.

The only way that you could not think it was a dominant round to Hendricks is if you were a GSP fan and were bias, because that was clearly a dominant round for Hendricks.
"dominant" means the opponent had nothing. no moments, not a second was he controlling the fight. Watch the final 2 or 3 minutes of round 2 again and tell me what Hendricks was doing other than get jabbed in face.

rkquest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #142
fzoid4454

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonGodMachin View Post
Going by the current way they use the 10 point must system you mean? Surely you would agree that Hendricks was more dominant in that round than GSP was in the first round? (not that I think GSP won that round, but going by the way the judges scored it) and if so Why not score it accordingly?

I'm not wanting to know HOW they should score it based on the current way they use their stupid scoring system, I'm saying how they SHOULD use the system so as to avoid ridiculous decisions that don't properly reflect the way a fight has transpired.
It's not "Well that was a 10-9 round, and anything slightly more definitive is automatically 10-8."

There's a certain threshold to be reached. A 10-8 round is supposed to be a big deal. That round wasn't. Solid, clearly Hendricks, but not by a massive margin.

Does that not fit the MMA format? Perhaps. The 10 point must system was designed for boxing, where championship fights used to be 15 rounds, and are now 12. Perhaps MMA needs a different system, make theirs a five point must (so people don't get it confused with boxing scoring), and give out bigger differentials.

Still, I think that most of the 10-8 arguments stem more from butt-hurt than actual dominance.

fzoid4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #143
RakodaJay
Banned

vCash: 50
Fitch spent 4:30 minutes of a round in mount pounding on Erick Silva and that still was still a 10-9

This point system is just flawed shit, fights should be judged as a whole.

RakodaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #144
Squarechoke

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakodaJay View Post
Fitch spent 4:30 minutes of a round in mount pounding on Erick Silva and that still was still a 10-9

This point system is just flawed shit, fights should be judged as a whole.
What? What you just listed wasn't a problem with the point system at all. It was judges not doing their job. If you dominate like that for so long it's a 10-8.

Squarechoke is offline   Reply With Quote