Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #41
LongSlenderBody
I just love to Stand and Bang

vCash: 500
6 months or interim belt. Do it. I used to hate interim belts, but I say fuck it now. 6 month or you aint the undisputed champ anymore.

Also, someone make a decent kneebrace mandatory in training.

WAR MENDES!!

Fedor
Hughes
Randy
Chuck
Rampage
McGreGOAT

Last edited by LongSlenderBody; 08-13-2014 at 04:36 PM.
LongSlenderBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #42
fightdonttweet

Black Belt

vCash: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by emax View Post
In other words you are ok with these champs fighting at most once a year? What happens when guys like Aldo, Pettis and Jones go two years without a title defense because there's a pretty good chance that is gonna happen with at least one of these guys. I remember when Khabib said about Pettis, "I don't like to fight the disabled" - yeah, not really something you wanna hear fighters saying about your current freaking UFC champ, is it?
What happens, is an interim belt gets created. It's what happened with GSP and Cruz. Its been 3 and a half months since Jones last fought, cry me a river.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #43
emax

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightdonttweet View Post
What happens, is an interim belt gets created. It's what happened with GSP and Cruz. Its been 3 and a half months since Jones last fought, cry me a river.
But then, at this rate, even those interim belts don't get defended since those champs also will fight at most once a year or not at all and so the sport becomes less and less legit. We are already seeing that happen and it sure looks like it is gonna get worse. Look at Pettis, Cain, Aldo and Jones. If they all continue to fight once a year or go two full years with no title defenses, and the interim champs continue to do the same, are you still gonna be so complacent?

emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #44
fightdonttweet

Black Belt

vCash: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by emax View Post
But then, at this rate, even those interim belts don't get defended since those champs also will fight at most once a year or not at all and so the sport becomes less and less legit. We are already seeing that happen and it sure looks like it is gonna get worse. Look at Pettis, Cain, Aldo and Jones. If they all continue to fight once a year or go two full years with no title defenses, and the interim champs continue to do the same, are you still gonna be so complacent?
I have no idea what you're talking about. The interim belt isn't a permanent thing you realize? Its so they can have a belt while the champ cant fight.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #45
Grimace

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongSlenderBody View Post
6 months or interim belt. Do it. I used to hate interim belts, but I say fuck it now. 6 month or you aint the undisputed champ anymore.
same boat as you. I used to think of an interim belt as gimmicky, and nothing more than a marketing tool to sell "champ vs. champ" cards, but now I see its value. however, I think 6 months is pretty short a time period to strip a champ.

In my opinion, a champ should fight three times a year, or every four months. If he's unable to defend it once due to a legitimate injury, he shouldn't be penalized; but if he's forced to withdraw from two consecutive fights, or a minimum of eight months after his last fight, he should be forced to give up his belt.

I also think this needs to become a standardized procedure so as to make this consistent; it's currently an arbitrary system where Dana and co. decide when an interim belt is necessary (though that's consistent with their matchmaking).

Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #46
vanzella
Brazilian Clean Sweep Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyemilio View Post
Speak for yourself. Every champ should fight a can now and then if no one else is available. Nothing wrong with that in the least... waaaaaaay better than four entire years that consist of fighting JDS, then Bigfoot, then JDS, then Bigfoot, then JDS.
There's a lot wrong with that, the first is the belt being devaluated.

I'm not talking about myself, I'm talking about what happened in those 2 days, bitching about Jones, bitching about MM being the new main event, people wanting that Mcgregor was the main event, and crazy things like that.

If you eat everything the UFC offers you, well, I have nothing more to say,

Faithful Zealot of the Just Bleed God
vanzella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #47
emax

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightdonttweet View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. The interim belt isn't a permanent thing you realize? Its so they can have a belt while the champ cant fight.
I mean that there would just be more and more interim champs popping up since every guy who got the interim belt would just go a year or more without defending it just like the original champs did. The interim belts would become increasingly meaningless.

emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #48
LongSlenderBody
I just love to Stand and Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
same boat as you. I used to think of an interim belt as gimmicky, and nothing more than a marketing tool to sell "champ vs. champ" cards, but now I see its value. however, I think 6 months is pretty short a time period to strip a champ.

In my opinion, a champ should fight three times a year, or every four months. If he's unable to defend it once due to a legitimate injury, he shouldn't be penalized; but if he's forced to withdraw from two consecutive fights, or a minimum of eight months after his last fight, he should be forced to give up his belt.

I also think this needs to become a standardized procedure so as to make this consistent; it's currently an arbitrary system where Dana and co. decide when an interim belt is necessary (though that's consistent with their matchmaking).
Sure, some permeation of that idea works for me.

WAR MENDES!!

Fedor
Hughes
Randy
Chuck
Rampage
McGreGOAT
LongSlenderBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #49
jeremyemilio

Brown Belt

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanzella View Post
There's a lot wrong with that, the first is the belt being devaluated.

I'm not talking about myself, I'm talking about what happened in those 2 days, bitching about Jones, bitching about MM being the new main event, people wanting that Mcgregor was the main event, and crazy things like that.

If you eat everything the UFC offers you, well, I have nothing more to say,
The belt is devalued far more when a champ continually fights the same opponents instead of taking on a variety of fighters with different skill sets. A champ should not be fighting easier opponents when there are better fresh contenders that deserve a shot... but if it's between fighting lesser competition and fighting either fighters he's already beaten handily or no one at all, fighting lesser competition is definitely the preferable route.

jeremyemilio is offline   Reply With Quote