Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #71
JustinvR

Brown Belt

vCash: 19253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortizgnp View Post
Well, I just don't see the greatness in him. His fight IQ is, in fact, ridiculous. His last two fights proves it for me. It's not just a poor gas tank.

Fight IQ
A chin that's terrible (And no, Raziel, I would not want to get hit by a heavyweight myself)
One-fucking-dimensional

I have nothing to say about his kickboxing days. He did well.

But MMA...
Sure, a one-dimensional guy submits Vitor Belfort (and most of his opponents), controls Mir and Bigfoot (both big, strong bjj blackbelts) on the ground effortlessly and wins the K-1 grand prix when it meant something.
Because that is what one dimensional means..

Being good in all striking, clinching ,wrestling and submissions means you are one dimensional.

Stop hating boy.

Benson Henderson vs Anthony Pettis 1 Highlight vid (200k views): /watch?v=MhTD2NhrdYY
Simon Marcus vs Joe Schilling III (Glory LMS) Highlight vid: /watch?v=5nAEJKikYzc
JustinvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #72
RufusShinra

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinvR View Post
Sure, a one-dimensional guy submits Vitor Belfort (and most of his opponents), controls Mir and Bigfoot (both big, strong bjj blackbelts) on the ground effortlessly and wins the K-1 grand prix when it meant something.
Because that is what one dimensional means..

Being good in all striking, clinching ,wrestling and submissions means you are one dimensional.

Stop hating boy.
Given what's been said in this thread, I agree that Overeem is taking some harsh criticism in regards to what he has accomplished in his career (bar his last couple of losses)... but beating a naturally smaller Spong, a one armed Saki, and old Aerts who had just given damn near everything to beat Semmy Schilt? It wasn't exactly the hardest set of brackets.

RufusShinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #73
Non
Burnt Face Top Team

Let Reem and Rumble fight and be done with it.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #74
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortizgnp View Post
Well, I just don't see the greatness in him. His fight IQ is, in fact, ridiculous. His last two fights proves it for me. It's not just a poor gas tank.

Fight IQ
A chin that's terrible (And no, Raziel, I would not want to get hit by a heavyweight myself)
One-fucking-dimensional

I have nothing to say about his kickboxing days. He did well.

But MMA...
I agree with you on his fight IQ but his chin isn't that bad it's his cardio/recovery that blows, it took like 8+ bombs from Bigfoot before he went down. Calling Overeem one dimensional just makes you sound like a moron though, Overeem is the most well rounded HW in the top 10 right now along with Werdum.

MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #75
Nerdslayer
S T N M T N

vCash: 50
Been a Reem fan for prob close to 7 years at this point, used to the constant cyclical bashing/praising of him. That's how MMA fans are anyway. The reason I am a fan is simple...win or lose, he goes out there to finish and fights hard. He has something like a 85% finishing rate. He is a glass cannon I admit (if you can touch him hard and early you have a chance), but most people can't withstand his pressure. The Big Foot fight was slompy, and the Browne fight should of been stopped...but alas I am a little butthurt.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #76
Raziel82

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBiasJustMMA View Post
I agree with you on his fight IQ but his chin isn't that bad it's his cardio/recovery that blows, it took like 8+ bombs from Bigfoot before he went down. Calling Overeem one dimensional just makes you sound like a moron though, Overeem is the most well rounded HW in the top 10 right now along with Werdum.
Think most people judge him on what he's done in the UFC, so I get why he said he's one-dimensional. A little knowledge of the history (which these TUF viewers obviously don't have) and you wouldn't be talking jabberish.

Have go agree on the fight IQ thing, that's why it's good he's at Greg Jackson's now, hope for Reem he finally listens to the coaches and stops being stubborn.

The heavyweight division sucks at the moment so any neutral fan should welcome an Overeem win. ALso Reem haters. Were it not for the fact they can make threads about JDS KO-ing him next. ;)

Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #77
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel82 View Post
Think most people judge him on what he's done in the UFC, so I get why he said he's one-dimensional. A little knowledge of the history (which these TUF viewers obviously don't have) and you wouldn't be talking jabberish.

Have go agree on the fight IQ thing, that's why it's good he's at Greg Jackson's now, hope for Reem he finally listens to the coaches and stops being stubborn.

The heavyweight division sucks at the moment so any neutral fan should welcome an Overeem win. ALso Reem haters. Were it not for the fact they can make threads about JDS KO-ing him next. ;)
Even then it doesn't make sense, he outgrappled Mir and Bigfoot in their fights and took them down pretty easily.

I do think Jackson's is the perfect place for Overeem though as his fight IQ, gameplanning and cardio are his main weaknesses and Jackson is great at that and they are at high altitude.

MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #78
O H
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurabinette View Post

Dream HW champion.
Strikeforce HW champion.
K-1 world champion.
37 wins in MMA.
Active since 1999 and still less than 2 fights away from a title shot in the best MMA organisation in the world today.

If that's "meh", your standards are pretty high.

All of those except the k-1 are meh

Tonight was meh

I correctly predicted his last 4 fights

I feel confident on my scouting of Overeem

Meh

O H is offline   Reply With Quote