Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
ThePewp

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Tito the next Shamrock?

Tito is 2-8 out of his last 10 fights. If he didn't have such a spectacular career, and this was his total record he would be regarded as a jobber type who only fights to help up and comers pad their record.

Tito has certainly done a lot and probably has several good fights left in Bellator, and certainly a bright future in MMA.

But should he reconsider his standing as an active fighter?

Has Tito reached the point that Ken Shamrock was at when Tito whooped him 3 times?

Roy Nelson needs to incorporate the Springboard Moonsault off the cage. That would improve his game greatly.
ThePewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
wespaul
The Six-String Slinger

I feel so bad for Tito. I remember being hyped after the two back-to-back Shamrock beatings and excited for the rematch with Chuck Liddell. After that, it was like he fell into some abyss and just never came back. I was on the fence about him beating Chuck to regain his title, but I never would've predicted what he became.

I think you can look at both fighter's career as a whole now. Tito was a big trash talker and had a few title defenses, but I think Shamrock's career will be remembered more fondly as a whole and he will be considered more of a legend in the sport. Ironically, Tito's mouth, which was once a huge draw for him, is now what's killing his career.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
MMehh

Purple Belt

Wrong, BJ is.

MMehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Philtard

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMehh View Post
Wrong, BJ is.
Nowhere near that level.. Yet.

And like shamrock (which I hated seeing) its up to him if he wants to destroy his legacy and live in the past.

Coincidentally they're both character wise they're pretty similar.

Sonnen and Bisping sitting in a tree, banters better than Muhammad Ali.
Philtard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
nostradumbass

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMehh View Post
Wrong, BJ is.
Nah, not at all. I was never a big BJ Penn fan, but he doesn't keep talking like he's about the make his dramatic comeback any day now, and make excuses for loss after loss, and act like he's still right there near the top of the division. After only a few losses, BJ seems to accept that his time is over and isn't fighting being out of the limelight.

nostradumbass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
209Homie

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePewp View Post
Tito is 2-8 out of his last 10 fights. If he didn't have such a spectacular career, and this was his total record he would be regarded as a jobber type who only fights to help up and comers pad their record.

Tito has certainly done a lot and probably has several good fights left in Bellator, and certainly a bright future in MMA.

But should he reconsider his standing as an active fighter?

Has Tito reached the point that Ken Shamrock was at when Tito whooped him 3 times?
naaaa bro he's back!!!!!!

209Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
KojiW

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostradumbass View Post
Nah, not at all. I was never a big BJ Penn fan, but he doesn't keep talking like he's about the make his dramatic comeback any day now, and make excuses for loss after loss, and act like he's still right there near the top of the division. After only a few losses, BJ seems to accept that his time is over and isn't fighting being out of the limelight.
This. There is light at the end of the tunnel for Tito......But I think it is a train

Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Fantasy

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespaul View Post
I feel so bad for Tito. I remember being hyped after the two back-to-back Shamrock beatings and excited for the rematch with Chuck Liddell. After that, it was like he fell into some abyss and just never came back. I was on the fence about him beating Chuck to regain his title, but I never would've predicted what he became.

I think you can look at both fighter's career as a whole now. Tito was a big trash talker and had a few title defenses, but I think Shamrock's career will be remembered more fondly as a whole and he will be considered more of a legend in the sport. Ironically, Tito's mouth, which was once a huge draw for him, is now what's killing his career.
wat. Everyone knows Tito. Only people that followed MMA 15-20 years ago know Ken Shamrock

Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
NYWrestling22

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
wat. Everyone knows Tito. Only people that followed MMA 15-20 years ago know Ken Shamrock
Not sure if serious?

NYWrestling22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Koimpact

Green Belt

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by wespaul View Post

right on the button sir. There was a time when all his trash-talk pulled in viewers for the sport but now it just makes him look bad.