Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #61
BigMuffler

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid3yo View Post
OK tell me then. What skills to heavyweights have (other than size) that makes them the"best" for mixed martial arts competition?

Seeing how Brock came in and won with little-no MMA training, shouldn't that tell you all you need to know about what little MMA skills are required? You think that happens in ANY other division in MMA?
Another 'skill' elitist who doesn't understand differences between body types... yawn.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #62
flanellograf

Silver Belt

Well, based strictly on math, i.e. elo, his wins were good enough to get him the nr 2 spot after Cain.
His strength of schedule has been the 5th highest in the HW division.
His points would also have him currently listed at #6 LHW (but there are some issues with moving divisions and ranking in elo).
And elo is usually slow moving, so that means something.

MVP
It's Showtime
Hespect Honda Houseys Heputation
Immortal
Thatch
Killashaw
Thug Rose
flanellograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #63
Mikeyz

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereUatGeorge View Post
There's a big possibility that Cormier is the best fighter in MMA.

cute and yet sexy

fun but not crazy

sexy but not slutty

tough but not butchy

Gina FTMFW.
Mikeyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #64
Just a username

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid3yo View Post
OK tell me then. What skills to heavyweights have (other than size) that makes them the"best" for mixed martial arts competition?

Seeing how Brock came in and won with little-no MMA training, shouldn't that tell you all you need to know about what little MMA skills are required? You think that happens in ANY other division in MMA?
Brock had actually trained MMA for almost 2 years before he stepped into the octagon. And it's not like he lacked a base given his high level wrestling background.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #65
spid3yo

vCash: 5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanNervPinch View Post
LMAO.

"Without mentioning the thing(s) that prove my argument wrong, please try and prove me wrong."

If you had them fight against fighters from other divisions, they would dominate most fights and the best would end up being a HW.
Everyone knows this - it's why they have weight classes in the first place - because the smaller fighters can't compete with the big ones.
Winning at the form of competition in question is what determines "best".
You don't understand the spirit of the argument. Size does not = skill in MMA. Just because a bigger guy would beat up a smaller one, does not make him a more skillful martial artist.

If Royce Gracie fought a 400 lb sumo wrestler, the sumo would crush him....does that mean the Sumo is a better mixed martial artist?

Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #66
MCS
needle movement expert

I'd prefer him win a fight against a contender, preferably a new one like Davis to show if his drop showcases similar results as at HW, where his competition consisted of a tough schedule for a relative rookie.

Monson wasn't an easy fights for a rookie, while Bigfoot & Barnett were tall orders. Mir & Nelson were a step down from those, but still dangerous, credible fights for him.

He has a better recent track record at HW than Browne & Werdum, and the winner of those is next in line for Cain. DC hasn't lost a round in his career. Think about that. Not one round.

MCS is online now   Reply With Quote