Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #71
BigGulp
Banned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaylor22 View Post
Is there an argument otherwise?
idk, you might be able to give Mousasi 2 rounds if you're feeling generous, but i thought Machida was no doubt winning the majority of it

BigGulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #72
Fahrenheit1221
Just Bleed Belt

Mousasi needed to pull the trigger more. Very technical fight. Very entertaining.

2007 - UFC 77
2010 - Bellator 23
2011 - Strikeforce: Feijao/Henderson
2011 - Strikeforce: HWGP Semi-Finals
2012 - Strikeforce: Rousey/Tate
2014 - UFN 40
Fahrenheit1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #73
Hendo101

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateKickbox22 View Post
Lyoto won every round against Mousasi. It is one of my favorite fights to rewatch. It was definetly a competitive fight, but the closest round was the fourth, and I had Machida winning that round.

Thoughts?
That's why I don't ever want to see a Lyoto/Mousasi re-match.

Dan Henderson
Junior dos Santos
Hendo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #74
Helmut Zemo

Blue Belt

I only had Mousasi winning the 2nd round. The 3rd (Mousasi's low kicks which if he threw more during the fight despite Machida's checks which really only happened in the 1st iirc, along with push kicks and more feints when he cut off Machida, the fight would have looked different instead of Mousasi looking a step behind like he said) and 4th were very close rounds but at best for Mousasi, they were 10-10 rounds. I had Machida winning the ground battle in the 4th based on his active and aggressive guard, despite Mousasi's top control. He threw up several submission attempts and forced Mousasi to retreat as a result, plus Machida was the one who got the TD in the first place.

Machida adapted very well to Mousasi's attempts to cut him off, but he just didn't punish Machida well with the techniques that were working, seemed too set on landing the jabs and same combinations when he got Machida into that position. Machida never had a good boxing game but you could tell he really planned well for this one and incorporated some new stuff as responses to Mousasi's cage cutting and work in the pocket, with his own jabs, counter hooks, lead uppercuts, and hand fighting by harassing Mousasi's lead hand and moving outside when Mousasi had it extended.

I thought it was a pretty good fight overall. Both guys looked good but Mousasi definitely could have done more to make it a better fight than it was. Machida clearly won at the very least 3 rounds, but I had it 4-1 last time I scored it.

Hunt|Barnet|Maia|Gus
APetis|DJ|Wrdum|Gegrd|MenaceJ|WnderB

Rsuncao|Thominas|Kabib|TJD|PatC|RDA|AlI|EdAl|Rukus

Boku|NBK|Story|Fe|Masvi|Saf|Guchi|Guni
Helmut Zemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #75
TheRassler
---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateKickbox22 View Post
He does fight to finish.

He was already winning the fight at the end of the fifth round, he could have just coasted to the win, but instead he charged Gegard and pulled out a flying dive punch on him and hit him until the bell sounded while Mousasi turtled up on the ground.
And I bet you truly believe everyone in my sig fights to finish too huh? Gtfo.

He only did that to try and steal the round. Wrasslers do the same exact thing too, except it's usually a takedown. He was clearly only trying to secure the round, not go for the finish. He had 25 minutes to try to finish, and failed.

3. Lay "The Carpet" Guida
4. King "Sized Blanket" Mo
5. Ryan "Maybe Later" Bader
TheRassler is offline   Reply With Quote