Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #41
KantoTerror

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanri View Post
Yeah Gunnars chin in the ceiling striking is so impressive.
You do realize Gunni has Karate base striking just like wonderboy and machida. Maia wants this fight on the ground asap and in round 1. Damians gas tank has been questionable lately either.

KantoTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #42
flanellograf

Silver Belt

Jesus, people, his striking defense is NOT suspect. Keeping your hands glued to your temples is what is suspect, in mma. Footwork, angles, and positioning is what is far more important. By "traditional" standards, Machidas defense is also bad, in that case (he does have a few flaws, but I'm talking in general here).

MVP
It's Showtime
Hespect Honda Houseys Heputation
Immortal
Thatch
Killashaw
Thug Rose
flanellograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #43
MMAin Event

Yellow Belt

Maia coming off 2 losses and Gunnar coming off 2 wins so I'm sure they won't make the fight but i would love to see it. Huge test and step up for Gunnar.

MMAin Event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #44
MMAin Event

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanellograf View Post
Jesus, people, his striking defense is NOT suspect. Keeping your hands glued to your temples is what is suspect, in mma. Footwork, angles, and positioning is what is far more important. By "traditional" standards, Machidas defense is also bad, in that case (he does have a few flaws, but I'm talking in general here).
I get your point but it's worth noting if Machida had all of the exact same fundamentals and style attributes but kept his hands higher and his chin tucked he would have better defense. It's ALWAYS better to do that. You can still have good defense even without doing that but it will always be even better if you do.

MMAin Event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #45
flanellograf

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAin Event View Post
I get your point but it's worth noting if Machida had all of the exact same fundamentals and style attributes but kept his hands higher and his chin tucked he would have better defense. It's ALWAYS better to do that. You can still have good defense even without doing that but it will always be even better if you do.
It's not always possible, nor is it always conducive to the task at hand, even if I agree that karate/point fighting guys can have bad habits. Usually those habits are more than masked by their skills and explosiveness. There are obviously different ways of keeping your hands up, and Gunnar was raising them in the fight to block hooks. Which is actually a more effective way to block them than the hands to the chin approach, since the gloves don't offer much protection.

MVP
It's Showtime
Hespect Honda Houseys Heputation
Immortal
Thatch
Killashaw
Thug Rose
flanellograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #46
KantoTerror

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAin Event View Post
I get your point that there's always a risk when you have your hands down. But on a karate stance, it's all about the angles of where you are going to strike and makes it unpredictable for your opponent where you're stike will come from. Take note that like wonderboy and Machida, Gunni also has the ability to switch from orthodox to southpaw and then back. Most Karate base fighters rely on footwork and speed as their primary defensive arsenal.

KantoTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #47
FastTracker

Purple Belt

Gunni would be a HUGE underdog due to his size and bjj against a big strong maia.
the winner of Gastelum/Story makes sense.

The more you know who you are and what you want the less you let things upset you
FastTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #48
Shammon

Purple Belt

If Maia had like 2 more minutes of top control in the third round against Rory he probably would have beat him.

I'd have to say Maia would be a sizable favorite.

Shammon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #49
Jyodog

Purple Belt

vCash: 3768
Gunnar vs High/Kampmann/Baczynski
Maia vs Cummings/Marquardt/