Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #31
Cooliox

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
it'll be too much fight-influencing.

that's also part of why they've rephrased it 'performance of the night'. Going forward, keeping "KOTN/SOTN" could perhaps be problematic in the near future.

Cooliox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #32
Bigj383

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senzo Tanaka View Post
Because bonuses don't encourage finishing fights.

There have been plenty of fighters interviewed who state they don't fight for bonuses and just simply consider them perks if they do get a KO or submission.

Most guys are under the mentality that if you get a bonus, great. It's not worth risking trying to finish and getting cut from the company though.

UFC has to change its policy on cutting fighters after X number of losses if they want to have more exciting fights. I think it would take offering huge bonuses for finishing (100k+) and a policy that you can only get cut once your contract is up and is based on a number of things. Not just win/loss record.
I really don't think it's the fear of being cut. Because there are many fighters in absolute no danger of being cut who come out conservative. It has become quite clear pushing the pace and giving your all buys you leeway where playing conservative fight game can guarantee your quick departure no matter how good you are perceived to be.

A good reason people don't take risks is because the show+win structure. Many reach a point where just winning is more valuable than the bonus. Guys on 50+50 would rather guarantee a win bonus than risk the win bonus for a possible performance bonus.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #33
skylolow

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigj383 View Post
I really don't think it's the fear of being cut. Because there are many fighters in absolute no danger of being cut who come out conservative. It has become quite clear pushing the pace and giving your all buys you leeway where playing conservative fight game can guarantee your quick departure no matter how good you are perceived to be.

A good reason people don't take risks is because the show+win structure. Many reach a point where just winning is more valuable than the bonus. Guys on 50+50 would rather guarantee a win bonus than risk the win bonus for a possible performance bonus.
A lot of truth right there.

The UFC's win bonus in the contracts have kind of came full circle to bite them in the ass. They'd be better off instead of 50K/50K style contract to pay a flat fee of 75K with escalators with each win and guarantee all fighters a finish bonus of something like 20K a fight from top to bottom if they finish. Then offer the new performance bonus on top of that to the deserving fighters.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #34
clift

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
I like the way OP thinks... every finish gets a small but significant reward. It would probably make the prelims a lot more exciting at the very least. 10k might not be worth much to GSP but to a guy only making 12k if he wins that 10k is a HUGE incentive to finish as opposed to just winning to stick around.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #35
clift

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigj383 View Post

You hit the nail right on the head.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #36
cjlewis01
Drained Ear Belt/Paper Airplane Champ

They do. An old vlog showed the fighters' meeting and Dana said it. I can't remember which one though. It was a while back

Intimidation Clothing a company that supports local mma, specifically me, and is ran by great people. Seen on Bellator NAAFS, and many more. Cjlewis01 officially liked by about 6/10 posters in the OT.
cjlewis01 is offline   Reply With Quote