Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #41
BruceLeeOnTRT

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Too small for Jones. Would get ragdolled even in his prime. Would be murder today.

BruceLeeOnTRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #42
QuoQuog
Banned

Both of their shin's would break.

QuoQuog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #43
8limbscientist

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeliankoFan1 View Post
Cheal isnt Jon Jones and Weidman isnt Jones nor are the other wrestlers he has faced. Jones was a very bad matchup for Silva, prime or not.

End of story.

Hendo took Prime Silva down as did many of those same wrestlers and Silva had a big hole in his defensive wrestling. That hole in his defensive wrestling makes him not greater than any wrestlers in his prime. Was Silva a more entertaining fighter than Jones, Yes, I think he was. Is he greater than jones, no, he had too many holes that jones did not have.
All fighters have holes, Jones is NOT a good striker. Prime Andy would catch him, end of story. And how could you possibly make use Hendo as a reference to back your point? Yes he managed to get some lay and pray in at the end of round one but the facts are two fold.
1. Spider made Hendo look like a girl striking in round 1
2. Spider subbed him in round 2

8limbscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #44
EmeliankoFan1

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWanaPlayDaGame View Post
he had a lot of holes, but he didn't allow/guys weren't able to take advantage of them. he achieved more than anybody ever did in the sport, much more than Jones did so far, being a finesse striker and playing with fire every time. it only adds to his greatness.

needed to be said.
Silva is a wonderful fighter and wonderful striker and one of the greatest fighters I have seen in the ring but that does not mean I think he could beat Jones, Cormier, Cain or fighters of that ilk.

But he was a wonderful fighter.

EmeliankoFan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #45
BGDDYKWL

Brown Belt

I actually think he would. Jones has too much respect for Anderson. He would be timid. Weidman is stronger mentally than Jones. Jones struggled so much to take Gus down that also could be a problem. I think Jones still smokes him, but I think he may pay Anderson too much respect. Weidman fought him like he was any ordinary opponent.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #46
8limbscientist

Yellow Belt

This is a little off topic. And let me just say I have never loved Jones, mainly because he took the belt away from Rua and Rua hasn't looked the same since; but honestly I don't hate him. I feel like when Jones is fighting bigger longer guys at heavy weight he will look average at best; how do you guys think he'll do with the big boys?

8limbscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #47
EmeliankoFan1

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8limbscientist View Post
All fighters have holes, Jones is NOT a good striker. Prime Andy would catch him, end of story. And how could you possibly make use Hendo as a reference to back your point? Yes he managed to get some lay and pray in at the end of round one but the facts are two fold.
1. Spider made Hendo look like a girl striking in round 1
2. Spider subbed him in round 2
Some fighters are more wellrounded and can win against more types of fighters than others. That is the difference between jones and Silva.

Hendo is not jones and Silva survived a lay and pray but lost the first round to Hendo and was taken down and held down by Hendo. Under jones he would face a lot more adversity, a bigger fighter with one of the most brutal GNP's in the UFC.

Jones is a better striker than Silva is a wrestler and jones is a good striker, he isnt a great striker. Jones also was competitive standing with a better boxer than Silva is in Gustafsson, bad strikers cant stand with Gus.

I find it hard that Gus could not catch Jones yet Silva will with all his holes and I think Gus is a tougher fight than Silva. I dont even think weidman can beat Gustafsson.

As I said, Silva was a wonderful fighter but I never thought he could beat Jones in his prime or not and had too big a defensive wrestling hole to deal with jones.

Last edited by EmeliankoFan1; 01-04-2014 at 04:56 PM.
EmeliankoFan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #48
Fujita

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
Dunno, Jones might try and prove a point and take out Silva in one round which he could.

I think he could.

Wand
Hendo
Hughes
Nick Diaz
Fujita is offline   Reply With Quote