Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #91
Maripucci

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
I think wrestlers have a strong work ethic are mentally tough and are used to grueling conditioning. They make great fighters.

Maripucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #92
aRtFuL

Purple Belt

Wrestling of all forms has been the dominant martial arts since the dawn of history.

All of the most basic ancient martial arts starts from wrestling (sumo, mongolian wrestling, greco-roman, chinese Shuai jiao, Turkish wrestling, etc).

Almost all cultures has wrestling art, while striking and submission is only refined by a few cultures because it is a lot more advanced and complex in terms of the theory and science of it.

Because humans are bipedal beings wrestling makes sense being the most dominant and ancient martial arts because if you can't stand, you reduces your chances of winning a fight.

aRtFuL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #93
JoseAldoKillaBe

Black Belt

Wrestling is the best base, but everyone knows that wrestling alone gets raped by Jiu-jitsu.

So the dominant art is the one called well-rounded.

JoseAldoKillaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #94
JonJonesIsGOAT
Banned

If Sambo was easy it would be called Jiu-Jitsu.

JonJonesIsGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #95
RemoWilliams1a
Banned

Here was my answer to that continually said dumb comment that 'wrestling is the best base'.
Quote:
honestly that is just some a dumb and tiring statement.

Did Chad Mendez control where the fight went against Aldo?

The best fighter controls where the fight goes, period. Sometimes that is a wrestler and sometime it is not.

Now before you try and point out examples and say Aldo is a rarity, swing yourself over to the thread naming all the Olympians in this sport. Realize how many more top level wrestlers there are in this sport then any other discipline and understand that is why wrestlers have traditional had such standing in this sport. MMA is drawing more of the best of the best wrestlers and many from BJJ now too, but none of the best strikers.

If and when top strikers come into this sport in similar numbers you will find the proportions sway quite a bit, and until then no one can say wrestling is best.

RemoWilliams1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #96
devaughnb

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams1a View Post
honestly that is just some a dumb and tiring statement.

Did Chad Mendez control where the fight went against Aldo?

The best fighter controls where the fight goes, period. Sometimes that is a wrestler and sometime it is not.

Now before you try and point out examples and say Aldo is a rarity, swing yourself over to the thread naming all the Olympians in this sport. Realize how many more top level wrestlers there are in this sport then any other discipline and understand that is why wrestlers have traditional had such standing in this sport. MMA is drawing more of the best of the best wrestlers and many from BJJ now too, but none of the best strikers.

If and when top strikers come into this sport in similar numbers you will find the proportions sway quite a bit, and until then no one can say wrestling is best.
I think this is right. Striking is very poor in the UFC. Even Silva and Aldo would not necessarily be considered world class strikers.

The way i look at it is that BJJ and TDD are table stakes now. You have to have some knowledge of those two things to stay alive. Offensively you then need takedowns or striking. The guys who know the takedowns inherently are better defensively. The strikers have much more to learn. But take a decent striker (by boxing or muay thai standards) and give them solid defense and they become extremely tough to beat. I think the last big leap in MMA will be the rise of striking. More and more high school martial artists and wrestlers are training MMA. This should give them much better striking by the time they turn pro. And hopefully we might finally see some muay thai guys give mma a go.

devaughnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #97
shin_shinobi

Yellow Belt

It is in the UFC and with the rules they implement.

It was not the dominant MMA art in the past with other organizations.

shin_shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #98
Charlitos1988

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangrabbit View Post
Not true at all. I am a wrestler myself and have shot on concrete plenty of times. It literally will do nothing to your knee of the concrete is smooth other than very minor bruising. If it is rough u can scrape your knee. I have a video on YouTube if you really don't believe me
ok show me...

Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #99
SewerPirate

Brown Belt

Finally, it's official. Thanks TS.