Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Worldwide MMA Discussion

Worldwide MMA Discussion This is the place for all non-UFC/WEC/Pride events, including Strikeforce, Affliction, HDNet Fights, Cage Rage, KOTC, ROTR, Shooto, and the like.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #51
kflo

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyYeahYeah View Post
Except in boxing, you can fight for every belt and not be a part of one of the big promotions.
and yet every belt has completely different rankings. and the big promotions always fight against each other (they don't).

kflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #52
Palpatine
Athleticism Expert, Religious Historian, Sommelier

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJustGotChaeld View Post
So Olympic gold medalists are not world class ... even though they are the best in the world?

Not sure I follow.
Of course you don't follow.

With the amount of pseudo sports in the Olympics, being an Olympic Gold medalist means absolutely nothing. Riding a horse, shooting a rifle, and vigorously rubbing ice are all Olympic Sports.

Leave the analysis to the experts.

Vaya con Dios.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #53
Alex84

Blue Belt

Most of the UFC champs are considered the best in their overall mma divs the only exceptions would probably be at LW and BW and maybe depending on who you talk to at FW.

Alex84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #54
Lead Salad
White Striped Belt

vCash: 507
"Real sport"

Lol, stfu

R.I.P. The White Stripes (1997-2011)

Sherdog logic
If you lose, you're a can
If you win, you're a can crusher
Lead Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #55
Lead Salad
White Striped Belt

vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex84 View Post
Most of the UFC champs are considered the best in their overall mma divs the only exceptions would probably be at LW and BW and maybe depending on who you talk to at FW.
Lighter classes likely will always have some talent spread in different divisions just because of how deep it gets. There are just so many fighters that you have to pick and choose when scouting.

R.I.P. The White Stripes (1997-2011)

Sherdog logic
If you lose, you're a can
If you win, you're a can crusher
Lead Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #56
lapollarecords

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpatine View Post
Of course you don't follow.

With the amount of pseudo sports in the Olympics, being an Olympic Gold medalist means absolutely nothing. Riding a horse, shooting a rifle, and vigorously rubbing ice are all Olympic Sports.

Leave the analysis to the experts.
give your definition of sport

lapollarecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #57
TylerDrew

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izakengineer View Post
The way I see it top organizations have taken the business model of Brand Recognition over treating the fighters as a top priority. No shame there really, but there is only one (a few is stretching it) brand. This leads to the interests of the brand being the only real priority, fighters take it or leave it.

Lots of people have suggested a fighter's union to balance things out. In reality though, Individual fighters are constantly subject to multiple variables that make this a pipe dream almost immediately. Unpredictable realities like injury, popularity contests, hundreds of factors beyond their own personal control make it doomed from the beginning. It's hard to bargain when you have no chips thanks to a broken leg. It's also easy to say F everybody else if there is a good offer and you are personally healthy.

In most other other sporting franchises (read Teams) each team (red sox or Phillies) are their own brand. Jon Jones's brand will always be more fragile than say the brand of Jackson-Winklejon MMA, which at this point is infinitely more fragile but less so than a fighting organization, lets just say the UFC.

Now I know that I am venturing firmly into the territory of conjecture, but lets dream for a second.

Wouldn't a fight team's union be more feasible than a fighter's union, at least at first? For instance an alliance made up of AKA, TAM, Jacksons, Tristar, Alliance MMA Et. All? It would be cross platform, in that it would have an effect on almost all Organizations and promoters (assuming they ever took your advice and branched off). Oh, you want to treat our fighters like crap? Try going up against all the top gyms.
A Fight Team Union is a novel idea and one I like.

www.mmatrivia.com
TylerDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #58
Mr Boogaloo

Red Belt

bah, real sport has nothing to do with rankings

Old 06-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #59
Durruti

Blue Belt

I agree bro.
Although if you mention two 36 years old released fighters, one of them coming from a loopside loss against Lombard. You could also mention that japanese top ten fighter who recently beat Lombard and was released at 32 years old. The Okami cut is the most BS ever in UFC

Durruti is offline   Reply With Quote