Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #11
Overnoww

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Fairly certain it has to do with the costs associated with testing.

Overnoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #12
loisestrad

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overnoww View Post
Fairly certain it has to do with the costs associated with testing.

It's not that expensive. Fairly sure it's got something to do with no one really being interested in neither A) more fighters testing positive, or B)Fighters not performing as well, cause they would have to stay off the PED's

loisestrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
shredded95
Banned

Why are fans of sports so stupid for? It's nearly impossible to properly regulate drug testing in sports. Hence, stop crying about drug use.

Bottom line is; if there's money involved, people will do anything to get the most of it. Failure to understand that reveals how far behind you are.

shredded95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
fracnoc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisestrad View Post
Why not do it as they do in cycling? You have to fill out whereabouts, basically submitting your schedule to the governing bodies saying "april 5th I'm gonna be at this place, april 6th you can find me here" and so on.
Hey why don't we just make them take every shit in a bag to send in for analysis.

Because that's going too far just like having to submit your whereabouts 24/7. What is this the damn NSA!

fracnoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
Groundmaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracnoc View Post
Hey why don't we just make them take every shit in a bag to send in for analysis.

Because that's going too far just like having to submit your whereabouts 24/7. What is this the damn NSA!
So you are against WADA style testing?

Groundmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
loisestrad

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracnoc View Post

No, it's not going too far if you're actually serious about not wanting to have athletes using PED's.

loisestrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
MontrealMauler

Gold Belt

My solution which everyone will hate is to do like Pride. They tell you you're going to fight like a month or less in advance and you find out who your opponent is a few days before when you get there. Does away with two things 1) cycling (needles, not wheels) and 2) excessive gameplanning (guys will just have to train for everything or specialize, their choice). I think number 2 will lead to way more finishes because guys are spending half their camp on neutralizing their opponents biggest weapons.

The #1 and #2 matches on the card could still be announced as normal. This would be required to promote the card. No one is flying out to vegas or pay for tickets otherwise. You then do random drug testing for those guys. Their revenue warrants the cost and it removes the complaint Zuffa has about the excessive costs and crazy logistics of random testing their whole roster (and they are right). Also one would assume that if they got through climbing the ranks on short notice fights without getting pinched, then they are very probably clean.

Guys could be allowed to opt out of being on the roster and remain on contract. Could be for injury, personal reasons or just not wanting a fight. But if you put yourself on the roster and you're not at or near the top in your division, then expect a call anytime.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
spid3yo

vCash: 5000
Impossible and impracticable to attempt monthly drug testing.

spid3yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #19
shredded95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealMauler View Post
My solution which everyone will hate is to do like Pride. They tell you you're going to fight like a month or less in advance and you find out who your opponent is a few days before when you get there. Does away with two things 1) cycling (needles, not wheels) and 2) excessive gameplanning (guys will just have to train for everything or specialize, their choice). I think number 2 will lead to way more finishes because guys are spending half their camp on neutralizing their opponents biggest weapons.

The #1 and #2 matches on the card could still be announced as normal. This would be required to promote the card. No one is flying out to vegas or pay for tickets otherwise. You then do random drug testing for those guys. Their revenue warrants the cost and it removes the complaint Zuffa has about the excessive costs and crazy logistics of random testing their whole roster (and they are right). Also one would assume that if they got through climbing the ranks on short notice fights without getting pinched, then they are very probably clean.

Guys could be allowed to opt out of being on the roster and remain on contract. Could be for injury, personal reasons or just not wanting a fight. But if you put yourself on the roster and you're not at or near the top in your division, then expect a call anytime.
lol at you thinking they tested in Pride. There's more than one reason why most pride fighters failed in the UFC even though they were young when they migrated to it.

shredded95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
MontrealMauler

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredded95 View Post
lol at you thinking they tested in Pride. There's more than one reason why most pride fighters failed in the UFC even though they were young when they migrated to it.
Not only do I not think they tested there, I think they encouraged it. Maybe even supplied it.

However I do think there is a few things we can pick up from their system that could be used to actually make the sport cleaner.