Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #101
TheonGreyJoy

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Speeit View Post
Oh, a Jones fan wanting two contenders to knock one another off.

Gus fights winner of Jones/Glover (probably Jones), DC fights winner of Davis/Rumble, winner gets shitle tot

Makes the most sense for the time table and division. Jones should go back to "I'll fight anyone I want to be the greatest" instead of this Machiavellian bullshit he's trying.
^This.

TS makes no sense.

If you make DC and Gus fight and Jones gets the winner, who is left in the LHW division after?

Oh wait, I guess if you are afraid of seeing Jones fight top comp you hope to see them knock one another off and then for Jones to fight lesser guys.

TheonGreyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #102
Jonny Bones

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Speeit View Post
Not when there is a clear contender in Gus and a pretty fucking no-brainer fight in DC vs Jones.

If, say, Melendez dropped to LW and won a fight at 145 impressively (albeit against an unranked opponent), and wanted to fight the winner of Aldo/Mendes (lets say it's happening) with Swanson looming, wouldn't it make more sense just to give Swanson his shot and let Melendez fight say the winner of a Porier/(insert contender) fight for a shot?

That would garuantee a lot of great fights and fit a time table.

Aldo fighting Mendes, then the winner of Melendez/Swanson limits the amount of fights we're going to see and stretches the time table.

Apply that to Gus, DC and Jones and it gets even more complicated, becuase those two JUST fought and Jones is fighting soon, plus the winner of Rumble/Davis would have to fight someone coming off of a loss, or the champ himself.

Look at how complicated this post is. That's why this fight would be an issue. Instead of scratching our heads and trying to do the math of who should fight who, we should just stick to the script and give Gus the fucking shot and set up Cormier number 1 contender match in the summer so Jones/Gus/Glover can have an opponent in the 4th quarter. That's simple as fuck to everyone besides Jones and his fans.
You're making sense, I just disagree. I think fans try to matchmake too much and should just let contenders fight to see who fights the champ rather than lining up opponent for Jones. And since Gus and Cormier are coming off of wins over unranked (or lowly ranked in Manuwa's case) opponent they could probably both use another win before fighting for the title, or at least Cormier could use another.

Jonny Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #103
hfajardoe

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheonGreyJoy View Post
^This.

TS makes no sense.

If you make DC and Gus fight and Jones gets the winner, who is left in the LHW division after?

Oh wait, I guess if you are afraid of seeing Jones fight top comp you hope to see them knock one another off and then for Jones to fight lesser guys.

Thats just dumb. If Jones is fighting the WINNER of Gus DC he is facing top competition!!! pffff

Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #104
Strychnyne

Red Belt

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgalb View Post
Why?

Gus is unquestioned at #1 contender.

DC needs to prove himself still and has a title eliminator waiting in either Evans of Davis/AJ.

Why do you want the title shelved for an unnecessary eliminator?
It's not being shelved..

GlovTex Vs. JBJ Then...

DC Vs. Gust= Winner get title shot.

Winner of Evans/Davis/Rumble gets the next shot.

- P.O.D. "If it wasn't for you"
Strychnyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #105
soohrednaB

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
If I was Gus I'd be all like "Cormier needs to face a legit contender before fighting me".

Bitches
I'm with you there....

DC doesn't deserve a title shot.
Sonnen didn't deserve to get fired.
soohrednaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #106
TheonGreyJoy

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfajardoe View Post
[/B]

Thats just dumb. If Jones is fighting the WINNER of Gus DC he is facing top competition!!! pffff
Nothing dumb about it.

If you have only two (or three) guys who are both at the top of the division and both considered stylistically interesting matchups for Jones and below those guys everyone is seen as a few rungs below and you make those two guys fight one another you are eliminating one top opponent for Jones (what a lot of Jones fans seem to suddenly want).

Gus deserves his rematch with Jones and Cormier should fight one other top guy and with a win get his shot after.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #107
TheonGreyJoy

Brown Belt

^^^and the above makes me very sad as this is what we saw with Anderson fans after Chael almost beat him in the first fight.

Instead of that good but close win making Anderson fans believe in Anderson more and wanting to see him versus top comp it seemed to scare the crap out of them and they argued against every top matchup that posed even a mild stylistic threat to him.

It makes me terrible sad when fans think their favorite champ 'is the best' but then are afraid to see that tested and would instead prefer to steer his career to safer paths and just declare he would beat every body.

To me that was arguably a shameful view by way too many Anderson fans that blemished the end of his run and I guess looking at what happened with Weidman, I can now understand why. But still I would prefer to see my favorite fighter, fight top guys or retire, not avoid them.