Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
ilfirin

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
There have been plenty of Asian fighters in the top 5 over the years, especially in the lighter weight classes. Just not necessarily in the UFC, and to some people that means they don't exist. The UFC have always been talking shit about everyone who aren't signed in their lil organisation.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #22
ilfirin

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless King View Post
Um, what?

I was replying to your dumb comment about the west and their tough combative sports and asians dancing around in the pajamas punching air.
Do not feed the troll.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #23
ocfightfan

Red Belt

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerToGod View Post
Dana's a racist
Clearly.

They keep losing fights because Dana is racist. It has nothing to do with their skills, it's the dark force of white privilege at work.

Just because you see the lions teeth, it doesn't mean he's smiling.
ocfightfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #24
Cuauhtemoc

Brown Belt

Not many asians actually train UFC, I mean MMA in top camps like Brazilians or Americans.
Most camps in Japan are weak compared to USA/Brazil/Europe, they cut less weight and most likely don't use as much drugs
The guys that come over are either old pride veterans, can crushers and a few are actually legit and are doing alright like Stun Gun, KZ, Okami(yes, he was cut) etc

Cuauhtemoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
jayBMX

Purple Belt

vCash: 106
A lot of Korean prospects are sticking to their teams in Korea instead of branching out.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #26
rolln808

Blue Belt

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjames1233 View Post
Well one problem is the jet lag. Going west to east isnt so bad but the opposite way is tough. Ive done it a few times.
Another is the size. East asians in general are smaller than western fighters and they dont typically cut as much weight so they are usually the smaller guy. Okami was an exception to that rule and thats one reason he did so well. On top of that there isnt as big a talet pool to select from in the higher weight classes which always received more spotlight in the west than the smaller ones.
Also these days Japanese mma, which is where most east asian mma talent has traditionally come from, is not as big as it used to be. Pride is gone and Dream is bankrupt. Former top fighters like Sakuraba, Kawajiri, Uno, and others are all past their prime.
Korea is on the up so expect more great fighters from them soon. They are taller than Japanese and Chinese and mma is growing there. When I lived in Busan (city in south Korea) there were only about 4 bjj/mma gyms when I got there. After one year there was 6. And I'm sure plenty more popped up in Seoul.

I think now that the UFC has the 125, 135, and 145 weight classes more and more east asian fighters will start having success in the UFC.
This. Try getting up or sleeping when your used to doing the opposite and the sun is telling you the same thing. Now try training or fighting at the equivalent of 3 am your time and see if your performance is the same.. it's also the reason that a lot of American fighters who didn't reside in Asia met similar consequences.

Plus there are only a few Asian fighters in the UFC who aren't there on name alone.. Most are severely past their prime by the time they make it to the show

rolln808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #27
LiverpunchKO

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
they are behind on training and stuff.

"God, please grant me the serenity to accept the things that i can not change"
LiverpunchKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #28
muaythaibeast

Purple Belt

Sakuraba, okami, Korean zombie, hatsu hioki, shinya aoki, there's been a few.

muaythaibeast is offline   Reply With Quote