Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #301
kflo

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
again, here it is.

watch the view from behind. i find it very hard to describe what he's doing in reaction to an incoming kick as "aggressive" or aggressive technique or counter attack or whatever. everything about his reaction is defensive, which is fine, he did what he was supposed to, and wanted to do. his first reaction is with his upper body, completely defensive. his hands, his head. his leg is still reacting, instinctively and defensively reacting to an incoming kick. there's no spike, no early anticipation and precise planned placement. he checks an inside leg kick.

kflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #302
kflo

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLan View Post
No. But it does nothing to refute my argument lol.
yes, no matter how someone gets injured and is unable to continue, if nothing illegal has happened, you win.

kflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #303
MontrealMauler

Gold Belt

Until you can start "checking" people's shins before they even throw a kick, it's a defensive move.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #304
fightfan84

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLan View Post
Kicking the ball away is offense AND defense. Why is it defense? Because it prevents the ball from going into his net. Why is it offense? Because the ball goes into the opponent net.
It could've been a block (although a bit unrealistic). Doesn't matter. If it produces offense, it's offensive as well. And the goal would show up in offense statistics regardless of whether it was a block or a kick.

No one is saying it's not. But if it produces offense, it's offensive too.

It might help you to envision one of them ol' Tekken games. If you shrink the other guy's life bar (read: hurt him), you're producing offense. A proper leg check will always hurt your opponent. Knowing that, wouldn't you design the game so that a leg check shrinks the other guy's life bar while preserving your own? Sure you would. Ergo it's both defensive and offensive.

Sure, the Tekken example might seem ridiculous at surface level, but it's really not. It's just a way to reframe your thinking.
Love the tekken analogy actually, way more then the soccer one
and I feel my point was missed, I do understand it can cuse pain resulting in the defending party coming out the winner, I thought I was just arguing its originality of being a defensive move or an offensive move
But the tekken analogy made my day and Im more then likely going home to bust out my old Nintendo, cheers

fightfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #305
MikeyLan

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflo View Post
yes, no matter how someone gets injured and is unable to continue, if nothing illegal has happened, you win.
You asked "if there wasn't a break, you'd score all those blocks the same as the landed kicks though, right?"

The answer is no. Unless I'm misreading you?

MikeyLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #306
MikeyLan

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightfan84 View Post
Love the tekken analogy actually, way more then the soccer one
and I feel my point was missed, I do understand it can cuse pain resulting in the defending party coming out the winner, I thought I was just arguing its originality of being a defensive move or an offensive move
But the tekken analogy made my day and Im more then likely going home to bust out my old Nintendo, cheers
hah :-)

Cheers.

MikeyLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #307
sololist

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieknowsore View Post
some new thing that is not offensive or defensive buddy, get with the times!
counter? as in "it is counter, isn't is obvious?" not really like "what is counter?"

sololist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #308
crash087

White Belt

depends how you check it, if you check it with your shin, defensive, put your knee into their shin defensive but kinda like a counter cuz now their shin hurts like hell and they wont wanna throw again

crash087 is offline   Reply With Quote