Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Champions1966

White Belt

vCash: 500
Bruised forearm from holding pads

Started my first Muay Thai class a few days ago but I've got a question. When I was holding the pads I could feel the guys kicks easily through the pads. They hurt a lot (I know its a contact sport) and I thought the whole point of pads is that they are supposed to take the damage? I now have huge bruises on both forearms and I'm not sure if everyone gets that from holding pads or if I was holding them wrong etc? Thanks

Champions1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
PowerrDouble
Banned

But seriously, you'll get over it. Weird big bruises are common when you're just starting out.

PowerrDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Rear Naked

When the fighter is throwing the kick or strike at your pads, move the pads a little closer to his oncoming kick/punch to come out and "meet" their shin/ hand with your pad. It should help lessen the blow and ease your arms

Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Champions1966

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerrDouble View Post

But seriously, you'll get over it. Weird big bruises are common when you're just starting out.

yer I thought so. So you don't get bruises every time you hold the pads now?

Champions1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
lloydrage
Belt of Reason

vCash: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rear Naked View Post
When the fighter is throwing the kick or strike at your pads, move the pads a little closer to his oncoming kick/punch to come out and "meet" their shin/ hand with your pad. It should help lessen the blow and ease your arms
This, and your skin will toughen up over time

Dont trust Lethal, he promised me the world then took it all away...
lloydrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
M@sato

Green Belt

What was the condition of the pads you were holding? I only ask this because another reason (apart from you being new or not holding them properly etc) is that if the quality of the pad itself is poor or it is in poor shape (foam worn down), then you'll obviously feel the impact more.

The first pair of Thai pads that I bought for my own home gym were Madison, and they were pretty bad. They were curved and looked good, but were hard as rock. Not knowing any better I figured that's how all Thai pads were, and went to town on them. My friend holding them got some pretty nasty bruises down both his forearms. I've since acquired two more pairs (Fairtex & SMA) and it's a world of difference! No more bruising for my training partners, and the pads absorb the force of kicks infinitely better.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Snubnoze707
มวยไทย

I've bruised people's arms through good shape Fairtex pads. A lot of variables come into play. How hard the kicker kicks, how well conditioned your arms are, how well you're catching the kicks, and how good of quality the Thai Pads are.

Snubnoze707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
ghost scribble

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rear Naked View Post
This. Watch any trainer, they don't just hold their arms up limp and take the impact, they give back a little force during contact.

Besides that you'll just have to get used to it.

ghost scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
CosItsFun

Yellow Belt

Yah, my fore arms used to hurt like hell from holding pads when I first began but not anymore

CosItsFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
nomilkforsanta
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champions1966 View Post
Started my first Muay Thai class a few days ago but I've got a question. When I was holding the pads I could feel the guys kicks easily through the pads. They hurt a lot (I know its a contact sport) and I thought the whole point of pads is that they are supposed to take the damage? I now have huge bruises on both forearms and I'm not sure if everyone gets that from holding pads or if I was holding them wrong etc? Thanks
What pads are you using?

I hold thai pads 20+ rounds a week and I recently got bruised using some cheap Everlast MMA thai pads. Three rounds with those pads and I was bruised the next day.