Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > The War Room

The War Room Gun-toting neocon? Tree-hugging lib? Duke it out in the War Room.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #111
Ruprecht
1Down5Up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks1 View Post
NOW WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is really the money question right here.

How many rounds does a reasonable hunter need? How many rounds does a person need for home defense?

My personal opinion:

If you are hunting, you should not need more than 1-2 rounds. A bolt action rifle or a pump action shotgun is more than suitable for 99.99% of all hunting activities.
Not all hunting is merely sporting. There's the elimination of feral pests. For which 2 rounds is NOT enough. I'm unconvinced that semi-auto makes a huge difference, except to the degree of effort involved.

Quote:
Realistically, you would need to design the guns so that there were no magazines, and every round needed to be individually inserted into the weapon. IE old school.

In short, the more time and trouble it takes to shoot and reload a weapon, the more difficult it is for that weapon be used for something other than it's intended purpose.
It's also more difficult to use for it's intended purpose, and almost all forms of sports shooting are about a combination of speed and accuracy.

Even so, loading 2 rounds into a lever action shotgun can still be done fast enough to massacre 5 year old kids and primary school teachers.

^ Admittedly I find this video hilarious for other reasons...

Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #112
Dochter
Minerals, not rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalInsanity View Post
I do watch my fair share of movies..but have you seen what a bullet does to flesh and bone?

A 9mm, hell, even a .22 in the knee will drop a man....

correct me if I'm wrong or share a story you have seen that many prove my statement wrong. Thanks.
I certainly don't doubt that a shot to the knee will drop someone. I find it a laughable and movie based assessment of what is likely for someone to be able to do in real life.

Dochter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #113
cooks1
No matter where you go-there you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post
Not all hunting is merely sporting. There's the elimination of feral pests. For which 2 rounds is NOT enough. I'm unconvinced that semi-auto makes a huge difference, except to the degree of effort involved.

It's also more difficult to use for it's intended purpose, and almost all forms of sports shooting are about a combination of speed and accuracy.

Even so, loading 2 rounds into a lever action shotgun can still be done fast enough to massacre 5 year old kids and primary school teachers.

^ Admittedly I find this video hilarious for other reasons...
That is a funny video. And I would like to point out that the dude in it was a 'champion gunfighter' or whatever the fuck that is.

I personally think the video amply proves my point. Guns are plenty deadly without having to make them 30 round semi-automatic weapons.

The advert for the Bushmaster weapon could be like, 'Now, even the stupidest of dipshits can kill people just as effectively as world champion gunfighters!!!!!!!!!.'

Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #114
LogicalInsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan52 View Post
People want what sounds easy right now, they jump to quick emotional reactions BAN GUNS! MORE REGULATION! what happens when this happens again after there is more regulation? more regulation?

I wouldn't mind seeing something set up to where if you have mental health issues and you see or saw a doctor your files are to be submitted to wherever and it be included in a background check.

There is no doubt tons of money going somewhere else for some useless shit that could be going to states to create security for schools, in no way should it be one national thing like the TSA.

I don't have all the answers and neither does anyone else, this will happen again at some time in the future no matter what the regulations are on getting guns.

Lastly I would like to say anti gun people have to get educated, they need to handle and fire guns. They sound absolutely ridiculous most of the time and people who know better don't even take them seriously, this does not help your cause one bit. It actually hurts it because well you're uneducated on many things and it shows. Maybe if everyone was a bit more educated and familiar with weapons we could come up with better rational ideas for safety rather than irrational emotional ones. I think some may fear they will come to like guns and not want to ban them if they become more familiar with them.
Great points...

It's odd because every gun owner I know (personally) are some of the most responsible, careful individuals out there...

My position on gun control is this...

if you are a law abiding citizen, with no issues of mental health, you should own whatever fire arm you want...

if you have a criminal history, mental health issues, the government should make it as difficult as possible for you to acquire any firearm.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #115
Denter

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochter View Post
I certainly don't doubt that a shot to the knee will drop someone. I find it a laughable and movie based assessment of what is likely for someone to be able to do in real life.
Right, someone who could drop a charging dude (moving target) and shoot only the knee would have to be 1) very, very well trained and 2) have ice water running through his veins.

KAZUO "The Children's Hitman" MISAKI #2 Fan
Denter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #116
Bloody Pulp

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalInsanity View Post
I do watch my fair share of movies..but have you seen what a bullet does to flesh and bone?

A 9mm, hell, even a .22 in the knee will drop a man....

correct me if I'm wrong or share a story you have seen that many prove my statement wrong. Thanks.

I'd invite you to go to a gun range, put a "knee" stationary target 10-15 feet from you and shoot at it. Then try it on a moving target, then low light, then after you run 50 yards to get your heart beat up.

The point is hitting a moving target that small is ridiculously difficult. You will miss most of your shots aimed center mass in a situation like that, let alone trying to aim for a friggin knee cap.

And do the Derp guy, not everyone breaking into your house wants your belongings. Sometimes they just want to rape your wife, or kill you. Cause there was some crazy mf'ers out there. If your comfortable with having only 3-4 chances to stop that from happening, more power to ya.

"I choose to live and to
Lie, kill and give and to
Die, learn and love and to
Do what it takes to step through."
Bloody Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #117
Detroit Devil
Corrupt Mayor of the OT

Location: In city hall stealing every thing that is not bolted down
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks1 View Post
That is a funny video. And I would like to point out that the dude in it was a 'champion gunfighter' or whatever the fuck that is.

I personally think the video amply proves my point. Guns are plenty deadly without having to make them 30 round semi-automatic weapons.

The advert for the Bushmaster weapon could be like, 'Now, even the stupidest of dipshits can kill people just as effectively as world champion gunfighters!!!!!!!!!.'
You are so clueless there is a reason that 90% of the people on this thread disagree with you. so when your argument makes you look like a fool you call them a troll. try to go buy a fully auto rifle and see how easy it is you need a class3 ffl witch costs a lot of money and has to come threw the ATF,

Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #118
LogicalInsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Pulp View Post
I'd invite you to go to a gun range, put a "knee" stationary target 10-15 feet from you and shoot at it. Then try it on a moving target, then low light, then after you run 50 yards to get your heart beat up.

The point is hitting a moving target that small is ridiculously difficult. You will miss most of your shots aimed center mass in a situation like that, let alone trying to aim for a friggin knee cap.

And do the Derp guy, not everyone breaking into your house wants your belongings. Sometimes they just want to rape your wife, or kill you. Cause there was some crazy mf'ers out there. If your comfortable with having only 3-4 chances to stop that from happening, more power to ya.
Whoa, I'm not arguing about shooting and the difficulties making an accurate gun shot...

I know it's difficult as all hell...and I won't lie to you...I couldn't make a knee cap shot on a stationary target, let alone a moving one.

i was just disputing someones claim about how many shots an intoxicated man can take from a 9mm...

Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #119
texas1willy2
Banned

Back in the 80's I had a friend that's brother went nuts, he had been on angel dust, pcp, something for a couple days. He went to the house were his family lived and started beating on the door. They wouldn't open it so he went to the garage and got an ax, then proceeded to bust the door down. When the door finally came open my friend was standing at the other side of the room with a semi-auto pistol. (9mm I think but I don't really remember) The guy started across the room with the ax still in his hand, my friend unloaded the pistol in his brother. He made it all the way across the room taking every shot in upper torso.
It was just like in the movies but I promise that story is 100% true, would the guy have been stopped with a 5 shot revolver, who knows?

texas1willy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #120
cooks1
No matter where you go-there you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Devil View Post
You are so clueless there is a reason that 90% of the people on this thread disagree with you. so when your argument makes you look like a fool you call them a troll. try to go buy a fully auto rifle and see how easy it is you need a class3 ffl witch costs a lot of money and has to come threw the ATF,
The Bushmaster Lanza used is not a fully automatic Rifle. It is a semi-automatic with a 30 round magazine and you do not need a class 3 FFL to buy it. You can get similar semi-automatic rifles at Walmart.

Last edited by cooks1; 12-17-2012 at 12:23 PM.
cooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote