Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Mayberry Lounge

Mayberry Lounge Light-hearted humor and intelligent discussion only. No flaming.

View Poll Results: More likely to exist - God or Aliens?
God 66 12.87%
Aliens 447 87.13%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #121
gotBooched
maximus entertainus

vCash: 500
aliens, no doubt

Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #122
aldeniro78
Belt Purchased at Sears

God. I can't buy the whole Big Bang story. I realize both theories seem like a stretch when you think about it, but I have a much easier time believing that someone with high intelligence created our universe.

Aliens on the other hand...if they existed I believe we would know by now. They would have either shown themselves, or been discovered. There is no evidence that there are other forms of intelligent life out there.

aldeniro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #123
MysticNinjaJay

Silver Belt

Aliens as in intelligent life on other planets?

- Quite probable. Given the vastness of the the Universe which we know contains billions of galaxies which themselves contain billions of stars there is a high probability that there are planets like Earth that provide the conditions for life to evolve. Some of these planets might be teeming with life including life forms that are as intelligent or more intelligent than humans.

Aliens as in extraterrestrial visitors from distant worlds that have made contact with us in secret?

- Very unlikely. Given the large distances it would take to travel from our planet to the nearest star, let alone deep space travel and the fact that we have made no radio contact with any alien civilizations it is highly unlikely that aliens are visiting Earth and somehow escaping detection by people interested in discovering their existence. The government is also not likely to be able to cover up a phenomenon of that magnitude (we can't keep our nuclear research a secret but the government can keep the existence of Alien contact a secret from everyone interested in knowing whether or not we are alone in the universe?). Not to mention if Aliens really did travel to Earth why would they keep their existence a secret any way?

More than likely an intelligent alien species capable of deep space travel would want to do one of two things to us once they came here.

1. Take over the planet (e.g. Independence Day)

2. Cooperate with us (e.g. Earth Final Conflict)

Somehow I don't see Aliens traveling innumerable light years to Earth just to abduct and anal probe a handful of hicks. If they think anything like us they are going to have an agenda that results in them being known and unless they have some kind of cloaking device any spaceship they travel in should be easily detectable to the naked eye.

God as in a sentient entity that created the Universe?

- Undetermined. If such a being exists the first logical questions I would ask about their activity is:

1. Where did they come from?

2. How did they do it?

The laws of nature are so complex that it is hard to believe that everything happens at random and that at one moment energy just exploded out of nothingness and eventually gave rise to galaxies, stars, planets, life forms including intelligent life forms like us. But if some kind of super powerful entity is responsible for this where did they come from and how did they do it?

God as in the Holy Father of the Christian Bible or the Gods of other organized world religions?

- Very Unlikely. I'm more skeptical of the Gods of this nature because for them to exist one must accept the doctrine of the religion that believers in them adhere to.

For instance if you believe in the Christian God of the Holy Bible you have to accept ideas such as a spiritual afterlife, the power of prayer, reward for faith and punishment for disbelief. Where is the evidence that the Christian God exists? The Bible is full of a lot of stories many Christians today believe are historical which anyone in their right mind would consider to be absurd and which Christians find absurd when they hear of similar stories from other religions.

The Christian God is described as being Omnipotent (All-Powerful) and a loving deity who cares about his creation. So why does he allow so many bad things to happen in the world, even to good people? Many bad things that happen are the fault of bad people but if he cares about us why allow evil to exist in the first place? What about natural disasters? Why do innocent people suffer and die on a daily basis including Christians? If it's so important that people accept Jesus Christ as their savior in order to go to Heaven then why rely solely on faith for this? Why not proof? There's no proof that I know of but according to traditional teaching you'd better believe that Jesus died for your sins or you will go straight to hell when you do? Where is heaven and hell by the way? What happens to the followers of other religions? Do they go to hell for not accepting Christianity? What about the ones who have never even heard of Christianity? Are they damned for their ignorance or do they get a pass?

I think that questions like this should be considered by anyone seriously interested in the subject and that evidence trumps any kind of speculation. One interesting thing to consider about the subject of Aliens and Gods is that in the case of Aliens we are never going to know unless we develop the technology to contact or travel to distant planets and find the Aliens ourselves or they come to us. In the case of an Omnipotent God surely if such a being exists it can reveal itself to us at any moment of its own choosing. Why put all the effort in to creating a universe with intelligent beings that you want to worship you and show their gratitude yet not reveal yourself to your creation ending all doubt as to your existence and divinity?

The quest for the answer to the existence of aliens is a real challenge for humanity.

The burden of proof for God's existence should logically fall on that God for which proof should be very easy to provide.

Last edited by MysticNinjaJay; 10-02-2012 at 04:41 AM.
MysticNinjaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #124
iCARNACKi

Green Belt

I mean... Even if there is a micro-organism sitting on a rock somewhere, anywhere, technically that's an alien.

I think it's almost naive to believe that this planet was the only one to spawn life on it.

Great big mystical being in the sky, that created the world? Don't think that's too likely IMO.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #125
Brock2026
Higher Primate

The main arguments for God aren't legit
* To say the world is too complex, that it must have a creator.
- This argument is obviously not thought through. If the universe and life are complex to have been not the work of God. Then what is God? He would have to be much more complex than the universe he created. Therefore God is too complex to not have a creator. Then this logic could go on forever.
Arguments against God are simple
* If the Universe needs a creator than, God should too logically.
* There is no physical evidence of God
* As far as the Judeo-Christian God being the God of the majority of the world is ignorant to the fact that there are 100's maybe 1000's of other Gods in other religions with just as much evidence(if you can call it evidence)
* God is suppost to be all loving and all powerful yet more than 1/3 of the population live in severe poverty and these tend to be the most religious.
* From the oldest fossils found to the newer ones it shows the clear and obvious pattern of evolution.
* Biochemistry/genetic studies show all primates share extremely similar DNA and genetic studies show evolutionary patterns.
* For those who follow the religion of the Bible. The Bible has so many obvious holes in the story, and these significant biblical figures and feats haven't left any evidence what so ever.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S Elliot
Brock2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #126
osudude
Correct nomenclature belt

Aliens if for the sole reason that applying a probability of existence to a being such as god is essentially meaningless (unless that god is a natural god but in that case it's the same thing as an alien).

osudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #127
iCARNACKi

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeniro78 View Post
God. I can't buy the whole Big Bang story. I realize both theories seem like a stretch when you think about it, but I have a much easier time believing that someone with high intelligence created our universe.

Aliens on the other hand...if they existed I believe we would know by now. They would have either shown themselves, or been discovered. There is no evidence that there are other forms of intelligent life out there.
What makes you say that? The universe is fucking GIGANTIC. Assuming that all life hypothetically started at the same point (whether by big bang or God that isn't what I'm arguing) then what makes you think they would be any more scientifically advanced than we are?

What makes you more likely to believe in an intelligent maker, rather than believing in other intelligent life? There is no evidence to support either theory? I mean, you use the evidence angle to support your lack of belief in Aliens but completely ignore the lack of any evidence of there being a maker.

Just asking, I'm not trying to start a fucking war or being a dick.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #128
bigwin80**
Banned

If by god you mean the Judeo-Christian version then no. God doesn't exist. There is absolutely no evidence that he exists or can exist. You can't create the universe in 6 days. No catastrophic global flood or talking snakes. And you won't find god living on a cloud despite what the tower of babel story claims etc.

bigwin80** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #129
Brock2026
Higher Primate

Also for the people criticizing the Big Bang theory as a reason to believe in God aren't really justified to do so. The Big Bang Theory is for one not complete, but all evidence of the universe we have point towards something along the lines of the Big Bang. How do you suppose God appeared, out of nothingness its the same thing as the big bang. Except God is far fetched and has no evidence to support it. Don't you think something with such a significant presence in this universe(apparently) would be somehow detectable or itleast leave some evidence. We know how matter and energy works and if God were real than everything we know about Biology, Cosmology, Physics and Chemistry would be wrong because they don't go together. One more thing.... Is that we know anything with great mass has a gravitational pull, if God were real he would have to be somewhat massive to be looking over everything. Yet space and planets and galaxies and everything is spreading 360 degrees, in other words in every direction. So unless God is somehow outside of space(which is impossible by the way) in a donut shape pulling everything out in every possible direction..... God is not real.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S Elliot
Brock2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #130
Titanium Fist**
Banned

LOL no brainer

Titanium Fist** is offline   Reply With Quote