Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Video Game Forum

Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Big Nic

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Why I don't play computer games anymore...

I used to play a lot of computer games back in the day. RPG's in particular are much better suited to computers then other systems, and strategy games as well.

However, these days it's fucking ridiculous how difficult it is to get a PC that will play most computer games. Unless you have some super gaming PC, you pretty much need to research a whole bunch of things just to know if you can play a game. Then, even if you can play the game, half the time you will suffer from horrendous lag issues or a ton of crashes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that it is possible to find computers that can play most games with ease, but these either don't come cheap or if you want them for a reasonable price, you would have to assemble them yourself.

Maybe this is just the price for technological advancement, but for a lot of games I would prefer to play them on a PC, and it just isn't possible anymore without spending a lot of cash. Is anybody else with me on this?

Big Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Polish Machine

vCash: 145
I prefer consoles because I rather sit on my couch than sitting at my computer desk.

Polish Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
TheHegemon1
Say something clever

Im pretty much with you OP, I enjoy the strategy games and RPGs on PC but I think overall I prefer the faster pace of console gaming.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Lady of Rage

Blue Belt

i've always been the opposite. i perfer console games. i also perfer the controller, even with RPG's. i do agree that strategy games are better for the PC though. top end PC's cost too damn much though. if u wanna play crysis in itss highest settings, you need a $4000 alienware or something equal. for me its better to get a 300 dolla ps3 or 360. most of the best games are on those systems anyway.

Lady of Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
RackemWillie

Green Belt

This has been my rationale for going with console over PC. For $450 for an Xbox 360(thats how much I paid a few years ago)....I will be able to play games for at least the next 4 years or until the next gen system comes out. With the PC, you have to keep on upgrading just stay current with the constantly improving graphics. I cannot argue that the console experience is better than the PC, but from an economic standpoint, the console is the way to go. If money was not an issue, it would be PC all day.....but I am just a poor college student.

"When in doubt, shout FHRITP!"
RackemWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Big Nic

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHegemon1 View Post
Im pretty much with you OP, I enjoy the strategy games and RPGs on PC but I think overall I prefer the faster pace of console gaming.
Computers and consoles have different strengths, and I like both. I guess I just miss some of the better RPG's that just don't work that well on consoles. For example, I think Dragon's Age would be much better on computer in terms of controls, kind of like a Neverwinter Nights with a better story. I can't play Neverwinter Nights 2 on my computer due to the graphics requirements.

But think of a game like Baldur's Gate 2. I can't fathom how that would work with an Xbox control scheme, I just don't think it would translate. Another game like that is Fallout 2. Don't get me wrong, Fallout 3 is amazing, but I also love the fallout 2 type of RPG's, which don't have the first person perspective.

Big Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Tbonetron2.0
Banned

vCash: 30915
I started out a console gamer for a short while. From 1989-1992 I used to play my NES. Then my parents took it away for some reason, I think my older brother who would have been in like grade 6 at the time was playing too much and they were worried it would affect his schooling.

My other older brother who was in university at the time introduced me to games like Doom, Heretic and Descent around 93/94 for PC and I thought "Holy shit, these blow NES, SNES and Sega Genesis out of the water!". Around Christmas 1995 my family got a PC capable of playing more 'modern' PC games, so I was able to play Doom etc. for myself, and as the years went by Duke Nukem 3d, the Quake games, Half-Life, Starcraft, Diablo etc.

Fast forward to Christmas 2007, my brother in law buys a PS3 so he doesn't want his Xbox anymore, so he gives it to me. By this point they've been discontinued so I'm able to buy up any game from EB Games for like under $5. Despite being a little older, I really enjoy them.

Move to April 2009, my laptop breaks so I buy a new one, capable of playing games like Bioshock, Dead Space etc. After loving PC games for so many years, I just don't find the enjoyment there as much.

Then comes this past Christmas, 2009. I get an 360 from my fiance for Christmas. I love it. As a dedicated PC gamer through most of the 90's and early 2000's, it's come as quite a shock to me, but ultimately I find I like console games more.

Why? The comfort and casualness of it. Instead of hunched over a keyboard in another room, I can sit back and relax on my couch and play, while my fiance does whatever. Hell, if I we want, I can give her a control and we can play co-op Lego Starwars or Batman, or even Special Ops missions on MW2.

I've been back and forth for 20 years, but ultimately I think I like console gaming more than PC gaming.

Tbonetron2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
WorldofWarcraft
Holy Paladin

FPS and strategy games are just made for PCs. Also, the PC graphics are above and beyond what the consoles can push out.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Respekt

vCash:
100% agree. I bought my laptop a few years ago (senior year of hs) and kept in mind games like WoW and FPS games like CS. It ran pretty well for the first year or so and then it hit a brick wall.

With my PS3, I never have to worry about any sort of technical issues unless its a fault with the game itself. computers are just too frustrating. I never enjoyed FPS games on the console cause of its awkwardness compared to the PC, but not anymore.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
markulous

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldofWarcraft View Post
FPS and strategy games are just made for PCs. Also, the PC graphics are above and beyond what the consoles can push out.
This.

Plus all of the mods PC games have. There's way more versatility and potential in a PC than a console.