Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Video Game Forum

Old 04-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
ToastFaceKilla

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Who else thinks next gen consles will crash and burn?

will all these rumors about no more disc based games, constant internet conection required, will all these steps to prevent the purchase of used games or pirated games fuck over the next gen systems? I think it will, plus they might potentially fuck over gamestop, one of the biggest retailer of games in the united states.

another thing I've noticed, is gamestop is selling purchase codes for downloadable games now, is this them testing out how selling downloadable games in stores will work?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Tbonetron2.0
Banned

vCash: 30915
If the rumours are true, then the strategy of Microsoft and Sony going forward is going to be quite shrewd.

Will it backfire on them? Possibly. Though it depends what the average consumer is willing to accept or not. Keep in mind that for every sherdogger saying "No used games? Well fuck that!" or "Constant internet connection required? WTF is this shit!?" there are many consumers that are probably willing to just go ahead nonetheless and accept those terms.

Time will tell.

Tbonetron2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
thoughtsone

Red Belt

They will do fine, gamers bitch, but pay. They always have.

I am a PC gamer, but I will eventually pick up both a Xbox 720 and PS4 and Wii-U. I like to have access to every game if I want to play it.

There is nothing "deal" breaking about the features I see. No used games? And? I can understand that to some people this is a HUGE deal, but to me not so much, I never buy used games, and I understand them not wanting to allow that as the publisher gets paid 1x, and then Gamestop or whatever gets paid as many times as they resell them. Pay a percentage to the publisher and I promise this feature will be added.

I am always connected online and a lot of game platforms (ala Origin, Steam) need online access in order to play. Its a natural progression.

Watch, on launch day they will have such aggressive marketing out that everyone who bitched will buy one anyway, or will wait and buy one then. For all the complaining gamers do, they still consume like no other.

Free album Ft Rakaa, Akrobatik and more http://www.destructivelove.com
Fedor supporter regardless!
thoughtsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
ToastFaceKilla

Purple Belt

it's risky, but with the popularity of nextflix... it MIGHT work, but then again, you pay 8.99 a month for a wide selection of movies. It might cut some of the production costs of packaging and shipping a game... but I don't know, there's nothing like getting a hard copy of a game, opening the package in the car and flipping through the instruction manual several hundred times before time you get home, it's something I've done since I was a small child.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
echohead

Brown Belt

I think that it all hinges of what PC devs do next. The Wii-u would seem to be the only console actually underway at the moment so that leaves some time still before the next consoles. If PC game makers can continue making installations easier, keep game prices down, and fucking advertize for a change then this is their chance to just come in and seize a major portion of the market.
Most consumers are clueless and spend more than enough cash on a shitty bestbuy or walmart computer that could have made a great gaming computer. And I haven't had any driver issues with PC games for awhile. PC devs need to make this happen.

echohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
ToastFaceKilla

Purple Belt

is the Wii-U gonna be DL only?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Foghorn Leghorn

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastFaceKilla View Post
it's risky, but with the popularity of nextflix... it MIGHT work, but then again, you pay 8.99 a month for a wide selection of movies. It might cut some of the production costs of packaging and shipping a game... but I don't know, there's nothing like getting a hard copy of a game, opening the package in the car and flipping through the instruction manual several hundred times before time you get home, it's something I've done since I was a small child.
Instruction books have changed massively though. A lot of games now come with barely any instructions, probably half the games I have (especially the newer ones) for Ps3 have like 2 or 3 pages worth of instruction.

I miss the old booklets

Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Kwon
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastFaceKilla View Post
Who else thinks the next gen consoles will crash and burn?
Well, as long as you have an extinguisher close, you should be in no harms way.

☻/
/▌
/ \
Kwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
ToastFaceKilla

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn Leghorn View Post
Instruction books have changed massively though. A lot of games now come with barely any instructions, probably half the games I have (especially the newer ones) for Ps3 have like 2 or 3 pages worth of instruction.

I miss the old booklets
It's habit and I still do it.

Even if it is like 2 or three pages long, I study the fuck out of those booklets.

every time I get a new game, I make my wife drive home so I can read that shit lol.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
KlNG
En konge skal stige.....

vCash: 50
If the shit about ps4 and xbox 720 are true then yeah it will be for me...i don't think i will even buy a wii-u

Brendan Schuab-"Best boxer in MMA my ass," he says of Dos Santos. "Iíll f--- that guy up."

Current activity: Black guy stuff.....
KlNG is offline   Reply With Quote