Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > General Discussion > Video Game Forum

Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Kimura Vizion

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Dwarf fortress

Has anyone heard of or played this? looks cool just looking for some feedback before i check it out...

Here is a link with some info

Elaborate, Sprawling Freeware Dwarf Fortress Updated | GameLife | Wired.com

Kimura Vizion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
MMA RLZ
Banned

Looks like one of those badass games like Armageddon.

MMA RLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Blitz55
WILLOW

Location: My Bodys in Washington, My Hearts in Texas and my Brain is in Middle Earth
I looked it up and looking at the screen shots a thought cloud appeared above my head with "WTF?" in it.

Dallas Cowboy Fans Everywhere

Online Older brother to Linkuei (OLB)
Blitz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
MMA RLZ
Banned

Or Ragnarok, my bad. You should check that out.

MMA RLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Kimura Vizion

Orange Belt

Its pretty crazy i just went to the site and it looks kinda complex but i want to know what the deal is

Kimura Vizion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Zer

Red Belt

I started playing this a few days ago. I'm still learning the ropes but it's surprisingly simple to get the hang of if you have a good tutorial. First time I booted up I was like 'Fuck this, what the hell?', but I actually picked it up in no time and given 15 minutes the game really isn't so daunting. Plus it works fine on my stone age work PC!

I've been using this tutorial:

The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress – Part 1: “WTF?” After Action Reporter

It's for an older build of the game, which is linked in the article, but it's a good starting point as it has the tutorial map with it and also a graphics pack or something to make everything clearer, it's not all ASCII

Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
NormanBates***
Banned

The little Ive played, it is frustrating!
I chop down some trees, collect berries and what not. Built some breweries but I always end up with too little food, even though I plant seeds. My poor alcoholic dwarfs always end up starving to death

NormanBates*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
echohead

Brown Belt

Been checking this game out a bit and the thing that strikes me is how amazng in depth and ambitious it is. If this game had....A UI and more modern game it would a really amazing game.

The thing that I like the most is how each world you create generates thousands of years of history and how the characters all interact.

echohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Zer

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by echohead View Post
Been checking this game out a bit and the thing that strikes me is how amazng in depth and ambitious it is. If this game had....A UI and more modern game it would a really amazing game.

The thing that I like the most is how each world you create generates thousands of years of history and how the characters all interact.
Towns is basically the same thing with friendlier graphics, but last time I played it (When it was released on Steam last year) it was still in early development and far away from DF's level. Worth keeping an eye on it though, see if it matches up in the end. I should see what it's like now in fact.

Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
seatea

Black Belt

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by echohead View Post

Down load the 'Lazy Newb Pack'. It has various mods, some different tile sets which make the game easier to decypher visually but best of all is the dwarf therapist which makes organizing jobs for your dwarves a million times easier.

typical euro trash seatea scum d*ck sucker gobbling ass bitch - Kophens.
seatea is offline   Reply With Quote