Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Robmasterflex

White Belt

vCash: 500
Wrestling Vs. Judo for MMA

Basically I have a time slot open to learn either wrestling or judo in my community. Wrestling I have the option of training 4 times per week and judo twice, however I'd only be doing either of them twice a week because the rest of the days are going toward my boxing and muay thai.

I've checked countless forums and videos and have been doing research for over a month as to which would actually be more beneficial to an aspiring mma trainee and I have noticed pros and cons for both sports and have a really hard time making a decision.

I'm 24 years old, useless as the male nipple and have no experience doing anything so this is all new to me.

One thing I do know is that a grappling art is needed in order to succeed.

I would like to hear some pros and cons from your perspectives based on whatever biases you may have or life experience or whatever.

Robmasterflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
daaak

Green Belt

I'd say wrestling for mma over Judo. Main thing being that judo focuses mainly on techniques using a gi. But if self-defense is also important to you then I don't think there is any better martial art than judo.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Bringin'TheHeat

Blue Belt

Wrestling without a doubt...it flows very nicely into no gi grappling. For mma you need to get used to the techniques, slippery-ness, top control, and over/under hooks...plus it's better cardio.

Bringin'TheHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Nuclear

Yellow Belt

go with wrestling for the top control. i think wrestling takedowns are more functional also. i like muay thai over all other standup and have trained it for years. i also trained bjj for a few years and think that i would take that over wrestling if you can. if not wrestling is great but people who dont grapple for submission are easy prey for someone who does.

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Blazen

Blue Belt

besides techniques involving the Gi (which wouldn't apply for you anyways) wrestling involves everything judo has to offer. However, judo is like very restricted wrestling.
So... like people said, wrestling all the way - assuming both instructors are fairly knowledgeable in their craft

Blazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Te Huna Matata

Brown Belt

I wrestled for half my life. Wrestle

Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Righteous Jon

Orange Belt

My nipples aren't useless and feel good sometimes. Pick wrestling.

Righteous Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
tdluxon

Brown Belt

vCash: 527
Wrestling is a good choice. There is a reason there are so many wrestlers in MMA. That said, if that falls through Judo is cool to, just not quite as applicable to MMA.

Also, wrestling will get you in REALLY good shape... It's unbelievably tiring, when you first start you won't be able to believe you can get so tired so fast.

tdluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Merman

Green Belt

If you go with wrestling you will have to learn some Judo and BJJ...However, you can go with just Judo and be fine.

Wrestling really only works for the timed/judged fights.

Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Reyesnuthugr
belt

Try em both, stick with the one you feel fits you better. Then, after you're solid in that one, move to or add in some stuff from the other. These 2 arts go VERY well together

-Guy at my work
Reyesnuthugr is online now   Reply With Quote