Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #41
theanticool

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by entulado View Post
I think it was fun, I enjoyed it and it seemed to be a good excercise....
but it was a bit more rough than my ideal for a hobby.
I can't afford to break or cause any permanent damage to any bone because of some hobby,
That's fair enough, but a lot of people don't see it like that. They see it as an important part of their lives, even if they don't compete.

theanticool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #42
thewhiteSRR

Brown Belt

because people are competitive, it is fun, it is challenging, you meet new, cool and interesting people, you develop relationships, you have many goals to meet, you are learning how to defend yourself, you are exercising in a way that is fun and also productive and you are(if an MMA fan) able to understand the sport better. So many pros.

The cons
-injury

thewhiteSRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #43
entulado

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteSRR View Post
because people are competitive, it is fun, it is challenging, you meet new, cool and interesting people, you develop relationships, you have many goals to meet, you are learning how to defend yourself, you are exercising in a way that is fun and also productive and you are(if an MMA fan) able to understand the sport better. So many pros.

The cons
-injury
hahhahhahaha
I agree but to me injury is...

+++++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek :INJURY:ee k:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+++++++++++

I like being healthy and doing all sorts of sports and activities.
getting injured because of some crazy pasttime is not an option and would really put me in a bad mood, forcing to kick all the ufc champions little girly asses....

entulado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #44
entulado

Yellow Belt

also you could use for example karate there.
it has all the same pros and it doesn't have the con of so much injury in general.

Quote:
hahhahhahaha
I agree but to me injury is...

+++++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek :INJURY:ee k:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+++++++++++

I like being healthy and doing all sorts of sports and activities.
getting injured because of some crazy pasttime is not an option and would really put me in a bad mood, forcing to kick all the ufc champions little girly asses....

Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #45
mingsy**
Banned

Quote:
I understand that professional mma fighters need to learn bjj, but why so much growth of it as a hobby?
for me a hobby is something that makes you feel good, is good for your mind and your body....

I went to 1 class of bjj and left with pain in a toe, in an elbow, in the throat, in the crotch, in the neck...
I went on to investigate on the internet and in every forum you see people talking about back injuries, rib, neck, waist, elbow, knee.....
all sorts of injuries.

I have nothing against bjj, it is a great fighting technique to be used in mma style competitions.
but why still so much growth as a hobby/sport given all the disadvantages?
is the world just full of frustrated warriors/fighters? is everybody so scared of the world out there that they need to learn fighting techniques such as bjj?
maybe the guys in your gym does not care about you, they just want to hurt other students. I think its a bad gym, go somewhere else. In our judo dojo the instructor does not want injuries so we take care of each other, if we must break someone down it should be in competitions and not the fellow members of our dojo. also our coach instructed us that injuries will not make one a better fighter instead in will just be a hindrance in the training. well how can you continue to train if you have a broken bone? im doing judo and so far no injuries some sort, when I arm bar a fellow student I dont even push it to the limit, i see to it that I control my power..and the coach does not want bullies in his class

also all martial arts have the wrong gym, sensei and fellow students they are the ones that is causing pain and not the art itself.

Last edited by mingsy**; 03-01-2012 at 11:01 PM.
mingsy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #46
DoctorTaco
Breadhead

vCash: 50
I've never been seriously injured in BJJ, and I've been training off and on for 6+ years. I have a lot more fun with boxing and MT but I've noticed it's a lot more rigorous on my body. I look at BJJ as sort of a martial arts retirement plan, when my body can't hang with the boxing and MT work outs, when the young guns beat me more often than not, etc.

~jukai
DoctorTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #47
styleten

Orange Belt

Learning something isn't for you is an important part of life. It isn't for you. You never have to wonder other wise.

styleten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #48
portland

Green Belt

Ive trained for a year and sustained no injuries that have kept me out for more then one class, and that was in a tournament not training. Train smart, it also depends on your gym. My gym is a very very laid back place, never seen someone get seriously hurt or choked out. But i have a couple friends who train at a nearby gym, and they tell me stories of people cranking armbars, and they see people go to sleep every two weeks.

portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #49
entulado

Yellow Belt

yeah, where I went people were like cool but they took it seriously.
most were from blue up and phisically trained.
I'm more like a 9 to 5 skinny guy wanting to do something light once a week

unlike other martial arts it seems most people train bjj seriously so that's why injuries arise.
I guess I need to go to a place where they take it really light or practice some other martial art.

I started investigating a bit more in the internet and the amount of people getting injured is ridiculous.
for some reason that doesn't keep people out of the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland View Post
Ive trained for a year and sustained no injuries that have kept me out for more then one class, and that was in a tournament not training. Train smart, it also depends on your gym. My gym is a very very laid back place, never seen someone get seriously hurt or choked out. But i have a couple friends who train at a nearby gym, and they tell me stories of people cranking armbars, and they see people go to sleep every two weeks.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #50
Moxie

White Belt

To me it sounds like you either want:

A) People to motivate you in some way to continue class by giving you motivation to deal with what might occur, and this you will have to find in yourself.
or
B) You are trying to explain your belief about BJJ and force it upon others which obviously isn't working, is it?

Everyone's experience is different, arguing about football vs BJJ is unrelevant when it comes down to whether you enjoy it or not, PRO vs CONS. I've had brain concussions and smaller injuries during 9 years of wrestling and even playing computer games wrist issues, but I never let injuries stop me. You don't see my trying to say to everyone that is injured and wanna quit that it is worth it to push beyond? That's just silly, because it won't happen, especially given your weak arguments, it's up to each and everyone of us.

Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote