Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
ViktorElias

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
I'm in a beginners class in a small town in the north of sweden and pay about 135$ (900SEK) per semester. For that I can train ALL classes, MMA, BJJ, Thai etc. If you train in the bigger cities in Sweden you have to pay about 150-300$ a month for MMA alone. So far I have only invested in a mouthguard and a "cup", about 30$.

Some of the guys do amateur MMA and shootfight, and they have to pay to compete. Though, Sweden is no mecca for MMA. Yet.

ViktorElias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
rhay777

Black Belt

dont forget managers and trainers generally get a nice chunk too... whatever percentage you have discussed with them. i dont know industry standard for mma, but alot of sports it is between 25-35% on avg.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
BJ@LW&WW

Silver Belt

vCash: 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhay777 View Post
dont forget managers and trainers generally get a nice chunk too... whatever percentage you have discussed with them. i dont know industry standard for mma, but alot of sports it is between 25-35% on avg.
I think at the level people are talking about here, most don't have managers or paid training partners.

BJ@LW&WW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
~TheSickness~

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhay777 View Post
LOL 25-35%? Thats horrible wrong. Standard manager/agent fee is 10%.

~TheSickness~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
method115

Gold Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogiforme View Post
A few hundred if your lucky, tbh. At the am level you may not even get paid. Some promoters will give you tickets to sell and you can make a few bucks off that. Which only works if the fight is in your hometown or relatively close to it. Different states are different as well. In AZ its not too hard to become pro and start making a few hundo a fight. Making anywhere near a thousand dollars for your first fight or the few after that for a regional promotion is damn near impossible I would say. You lose money no matter what. Even if you make 3 hundred that is only 3 months of gym membership. Not including travel, food, lodging if your out of town although some promoters will cover things like this. Needless to say you need to plan to spend a lot more than your gonna make for quite awhile and more likely forever. The chances of making it to where you can actually make a living off of it are pretty slim. Well, hope this sheds a little light on it.
Yea my cousins is an ammy and fights for a pretty big org here in Texas and doesn't get paid.

method115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
SHARK SHARK

White Belt

Don't forget the $$$ you'll have to invest in cool tattoos.

SHARK SHARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
TexasP

Green Belt

i fought in a 1 day tourny and went 2/2. it was amateur and got paid a goose egg. training was free with other fighters in my team plus supplements and gear i'd say about a 1k wasted...
i was invited to fight at texas rage in a cage and they wanted certified trainer to sign off on my training and i think winner takes home something like 600....

Penn
Gil Melendez
Aldo
Barao
McCall
TexasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
Andre Xiong
Professional Fighter

Traveling to crappy town of Superior, Wisconsin: losing $40 in gas money
Winning professional mma bout: winning $200 in straight cash homie
Achieving dream to fight mma: priceless

I couldn't do it for a living though, not even if it were entry level run of the mill UFC salary of $5000 a fight. The time investment and sacrifices of a fighter is insane and I wish them the best.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Andre Xiong
Professional Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ@LW&WW View Post
I think at the level people are talking about here, most don't have managers or paid training partners.
lol spot on, my cornermen were my beloved trainer and my wife.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Alan Shore

Orange Belt

i am only training for a little over a year did 2 amateur fights in my homegym ( audience sits on the mats ). no money but i see it more as training than actual fighting ( money wise ). was at some event with my gym and my trainer offered me to fight 150/150 after ~8 months of training martial arts. and that's in germany where mma isn't big.

edit: i didn't do it. because i didn't feel ready. that was also with a cage in the middle bar around and a few hundred people on chairs around and some rather ugly ring girls which i would still have nailed

Alan Shore is offline   Reply With Quote