Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Navi16**
Banned

vCash: 500
How Long Should I wait For an Ammy Fight (Ive Only Trained A Month)

How long shoud i wait for an ammy fight, should i take one now or should i keep improving for a couple months or a year then have one?

Navi16** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
T Hab

Orange Belt

There are many schools of thought on this, but if you are training three times per week, in good shape, and working hard, my opinion is that one year is about right. Turn up the intensity considerably for two full months before you fight.

I know some people think 6 months is enough, but I've seen better results from people who were more properly prepared.

edit: If you've done a lot of boxing or kick boxing, you can adjust downwards. Even TKD or Karate might take some time off of how soon you will be ready.

T Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Navi16**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Hab View Post
There are many schools of thought on this, but if you are training three times per week, in good shape, and working hard, my opinion is that one year is about right. Turn up the intensity considerably for two full months before you fight.

I know some people think 6 months is enough, but I've seen better results from people who were more properly prepared.

edit: If you've done a lot of boxing or kick boxing, you can adjust downwards. Even TKD or Karate might take some time off of how soon you will be ready.
Tanks for the tips
I train muay thai and kickboxing 3 days a week then the other 3 days I train BJJ and take a break for 1 day

Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Mignanelli

White Belt

My school says they refuse
To put the reputation of
There name & gym without at least 6 months of training. And that's with previous experience aka wrestling & very very naturally talented.

Mignanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
T Hab

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi16 View Post
Tanks for the tips
I train muay thai and kickboxing 3 days a week then the other 3 days I train BJJ and take a break for 1 day
It sounds like a great regimen, but it won't really help you be ready more quickly unfortunately.

Unless you have a desperate reason to fight earlier, I would train for at least 3 months before sparring, 6 months before sparring more intensely, start looking for a fight after 8 months, then turn up the intensity on cardio 3 months out and on sparring and pad work 2 months out. If all goes well and you don't suffer an unfortunate injury in the process, you will be ready to show your best work possible for your first fight (which of course will not be as good as your second and third when your nerves are better off).

Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Navi16**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Hab View Post
It sounds like a great regimen, but it won't really help you be ready more quickly unfortunately.

Unless you have a desperate reason to fight earlier, I would train for at least 3 months before sparring, 6 months before sparring more intensely, start looking for a fight after 8 months, then turn up the intensity on cardio 3 months out and on sparring and pad work 2 months out. If all goes well and you don't suffer an unfortunate injury in the process, you will be ready to show your best work possible for your first fight (which of course will not be as good as your second and third when your nerves are better off).
My cardio is okay but im going to start cardio exersizing everyday, i train bjj for a hour and a half for the days i do it and mt and kickxing for a hour and a half

Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
T Hab

Orange Belt

Quote:
My cardio is okay but im going to start cardio exersizing everyday, i train bjj for a hour and a half for the days i do it and mt and kickxing for a hour and a half

As far as general training goes, that sounds pretty good, but you will need to cut back on BJJ and increase MT/cardio for a few months before you actually take on a fight. Even if your school only offers you the chance to do MT 3 days a week, you can always borrow pads and do extra sessions with people from your school and hit the bags, or, in an absolute worst case scenario, shadow box a lot for extra sessions.

I know that if you want to do MMA in the end, you probably won't want to cut back on BJJ, but I am of the old-school opinion that if you want to be a generalist, you should be really good at the individual components, and that means occasionally focusing on one over the others (ie MT for a few months before a fight and BJJ before a tournament). Although don't take any BJJ advice from me, I'm rubbish.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
styleten

Orange Belt

Quote:
How long shoud i wait for an ammy fight, should i take one now or should i keep improving for a couple months or a year then have one?
What ever you can get from fighting can be gained in sparing at this point. Why fight a guy mis representing himself to get a cheap win off a new fighter when you can submit those beating to your team members. Making them and your self better in house.

Don't hand someone highlights. Someone will get a fake ego and you could embarrass yourself.

styleten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
JonKD

White Belt

If you have an honest coach he will tell you when you are ready and work with the promoter to match you well. But if not be careful. Ive seen dishonest promoters and coaches advertise a fighter as 0-0 who in reality was highly experienced with multiple fights. Another way is to gauge how well you do against other fighters at your gym. If you are hanging with the higher level ams then you are probably ready. But dont rush it. Not a lot of things can discourage you more than going into a fight and getting pawned due to a mismatch. Also, look into smokers. Basically a fight, but with a very limited audience and more padding. Plus they dont count towards a record.
Best of luck.

JonKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
garnerboy2007

vCash:
Its according to who you are fighting IMHO.