Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
TKDBJJ

White Belt

vCash: 500
deviated septum?

I went to the Nose and Throat Doctor and he said I have the worst deviated septum he has ever seen. Essentially, the left nasal passage is 99% blocked. It has gotten to where I can barely breathe with a mouthpiece in.

Doctor recommends surgery. No training for at least 3 weeks. I am over 40 now so I only train/spar with competitors now.

Has anyone had this surgery and would you recommend it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TKDBJJ; 03-25-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling
TKDBJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Pilgrim35

Blue Belt

I have a deviated septum, but I'm not currently fighting or scheduled to have surgery to correct it...so, there's that to consider.

I would recommend it if you can't breathe with a mouthpiece and you want to keep sparring/training/fighting in any serious capacity though.

Also, I would recommend it to Dana White...honestly, the guy either has the worst perpetually congested nose or has a seriously deviated septum. I can't stand hearing him talk because of the way it makes his voice sound, all nasal and stuffed up.

Ring > Cage
Pilgrim35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
urFriesMustard

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDBJJ View Post
I went to the Nose and Throat Doctor and he said I have the worst deviated septum he has ever seen. Essentially, the left nasal passage is 99% blocked. It has gotten to where I can barely breathe with a mouthpiece in.

Doctor recommends surgery. No training for at least 3 weeks. I am over 40 now so I only train/spar with competitors now.

Read Joe Rogans Blog entry here. He had the same thing and he describes, vividly, what he went through. It is a hysterical read.
Demon loads, nose rape and the West Palm Beach Improv Comedian Joe Rogan

urFriesMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
fredrik1982**
Banned

Get the surgery dude, the little bit of time off will seem like nothing when you're sparring and able to breath at the same time.

fredrik1982** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Valhalla44

White Belt

I've had it done, not fun, but well worth it, not just for sport, but for sleep at night. The worst part is when they have to pull the gauze out....I still shudder at that.

Valhalla44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
maxm2000

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDBJJ View Post

I had it done 10 years ago. It's not much fun for the first weeks but it's absolutely worth it.

maxm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Gawd

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla44 View Post
I've had it done, not fun, but well worth it, not just for sport, but for sleep at night. The worst part is when they have to pull the gauze out....I still shudder at that.
Yea, they use an amazing amount of gauze...

TS: you have obviously broken your nose in the past and the surgery consists essentially of rebreaking it and straightening it. I'm sure there is quite a lot of information on the internet. The not sparring period is of course there to avoid breaking it yet again while it's healing up.

Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
ArchAngelos

Blue Belt

I had a septoplasty a few years ago. Took me about a three weeks before I could work out again and about six weeks before I could get any sparring in. Nose kept bleeding. My first bout afterward, I took one shot to the top of my head and all of the blood clotting shot out of my nostrils. Regardless, the improvement it makes to your breathing is well worth it. Even the tampon nunchuks that they stick up your nostrils to absorb the blood after surgery and pull out before they send you home was worth it. It sucked royally but it was definitely worth it.

ArchAngelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
fshrmn

White Belt

Deviated Septum

I had the surgury 5 years ago (Dr also said mine was VERY BAD). I didn't much like waking up to having a tampon cramed up each nostril very much. It took me about 3 weeks to heal up, but I also had my tonsils and adinoids taken out so it added to it.

My nose was very tender for months after and when I was headbutted (accidently) it took it awhile to heal up.

As far as sparing, there are always going to be times when you will re-injure it from just slight contact, my nose still makes sounds like the cartilige is grinding when moved around but I'll tell ya what, It is so nice to breath again!!!

Hope this helps you out and good luck.

Jim

fshrmn is offline   Reply With Quote