Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
snoops

White Belt

vCash: 500
best place to begin training in eastern LI?

Im only 17 and live in the Hamptons. most people suggest Serra's but its too far for me to go consistently (would take me over an hour to get there). I dont want a crappy place either, I want the best training possible so i have a chance to get somewhere with mma. thanks

*im looking for muay thai and submission grappling

Last edited by snoops; 03-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.
snoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Tonycpa

Silver Belt

vCash: 783
Here you go kid...

How about Grand Master Francisco Mansor, a 9th degree red belt in Port Jefferson since it's nothing but the best for you?

Kioto Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

631-828-5645 Bring your wallet champ. Leave the pride at the mansion.

Last edited by Tonycpa; 02-24-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Tonycpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
snoops

White Belt

so youre another person who assumes everyone in the hamptons is rich? my family barely gets by fyi. and I never knew there was something wrong with seeking the best training possible.

thanks though. prick.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Joshy6442

Yellow Belt

vCash: 180
lol he sure shut you up Tonyc

And srry ts, I don't have any info, but other people should come along who'll actually help you

Joshy6442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
snoops

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy6442 View Post
lol he sure shut you up Tonyc

And srry ts, I don't have any info, but other people should come along who'll actually help you
thanks lol, ill keep checking daily

Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Verbal Guard

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoops View Post
so youre another person who assumes everyone in the hamptons is rich? my family barely gets by fyi. and I never knew there was something wrong with seeking the best training possible.

thanks though. prick.
I don't think he assumed that at all. I'm guessing he just went from you posting, "I dont want a crappy place either, I want the best training possible..." So he replied sarcastically because you're 17 and can't find a local gym.

But, who knows. I'd look locally (walk around man, ask, drive, look in the newspaper), most schools advertise. As far as the 'best' goes, best at what? You mentioned Serra, so BJJ? How about wrestling? How about karate or MT?

Or just look at what Tony posted. GM Mansor is supposed to be great.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
snoops

White Belt

looking at Vamos Jiu Jitsu in holbrook but its a half hour drive. i dont know if i would be able to consistently go there. any other suggestions?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
neomage2021

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoops View Post
looking at Vamos Jiu Jitsu in holbrook but its a half hour drive. i dont know if i would be able to consistently go there. any other suggestions?
Hour to half hour drive is nothing. While I was a poor broke college student I drove a 150 mile round trip 4 days a week to train up at Jackson's MMA. A little half hour drive shouldn't deter you from training at a great place if you really want to be a fighter.

neomage2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
styleten

Orange Belt

A big grip people have had over the years was having to learn from low ranking teachers. The love the sport, like the trainer but can't help feeling like they would get more out of learning from a black belt. Specially from the beginning of the journey.

You are 15 mins from a black belts school. Coach depo.

He is from the Renzo lineage in NYC though i believe Joe D'Arce. If I'm not mistaken he ran a program at D'arce bjj, now runs BJJ at vertex and LIMMA.

15 mins from you. No excuses. That is the closest black belt to your house.
Good luck

styleten is offline   Reply With Quote