Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Gear & Equipment Discussion > Gear & Equipment Reviews

Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
risingD

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
SCRAMBLE Kamon Shorts - thegrapplingaddict

It’s been almost 3 years now (I think) that SCRAMBLE was detected on the radar of the grappling scene for the first time. The brand from the great nation of Great Britain got a foothold with fresh designs inspired by Japanese art and lifestyle.

These are the Kamon shorts they are already the 3rd generation of SCRAMBLE shorts. While the other two former shorts were pretty much identical in construction is this pair an enhanced version of both.

First Impression

As I have reviewed the SCRAMBLE Crossed Sword Shorts before this is why I immediately noticed that the thickness of the fabric had been increased. Additionally an aspect that I have addressed in my Crossed Sword Shorts’ review the split seams of the shorts were closed with a piece of stretch material.

Overall my first impression was very positive.

Fit

I wear 34 (Medium) in these shorts. Useful for comparison my actual waistsize is 92 cm. However I need to admit that the shorts were a bit tight when wearing them for the first time on the mat but due to the elastic waistband they are pretty forgiving so you can get at least one inch more out of them.

The shorts close up above the kneecaps so they might be a bit shorter when you order one size down. Personally I like it when shorts aren’t that baggy and long in this way the shorts won’t bother you when rolling and no one has the possibility to tangle up himself.

Construction

As I have already mentioned many things were changed for this batch of shorts.

Most relevant is the thickness of the shorts’ fabric. When you sometimes had the feeling that the Crossed Sword shorts or Bushido Athletics shorts were too thin I am sure that you are going to love the thickness of this new version.

Since I can’t measure the thickness I would compare them to SPRAWL shorts in thickness (compared pair FUSION S)

The only aspect that I have criticised in the review of the Crossed Sword shorts were the split seams. My reason was that I don’t like split seams on my grappling shorts… why? Because I am a picky doofus. So I am very lucky that SCRAMBLE made that change and closed the split seams. However they solved this “problem” very intelligently. They simply closed the split seams with the same stretch material like located in the crotch. This means, though, there are no split seams you still have the same flexibility like before with them (picture below).

In addition to the stretch fabric used for the split seams there is also some stretch fabric in the crotch which is rather a certain standard nowadays.

The waistband pretty basic but it works what else do you want? Simply jump into the pants and adjust them with the drawstring. I can tell you it works like a charm you should try it out.

All prints on the shorts are sublimated and you guys all know if it is not embroidered it at least needs to be sublimated.

Sublimation assures that none of the printings peel off. So it doesn’t matter how much you like to butt scoot, don’t worry at the very least your shorts will forgive you.

Design

There are so many things to be found on the shorts if it is the pattern that consists of different Japanese crests or the tag inside the waistband that says a smart quote.

Very nice are the printings on the left leg. As far as I know it is a hand drawn stamp that says SCRAMBLE in Japanese and hand drawn kanjis that say Jiu Jitsu.

Conclusion

The SCRAMBLE Kamon shorts are a solid pair of shorts. Sublimation and the love of making complete products made this new SCRAMBLE product a real nice piece of training gear.

I really do love how they solved that thing with the split seams and the improved thickness. I hope they will more or less stick to this construction when they plan to release new designs of shorts.

Pros

+ stretch fabric instead of split seams

+ tailored (in that certain size)

+ sublimated printings

+ reasonable price (you get a solid pair of shorts for around £39)

Cons

-

More pictures as usual:

SCRAMBLE Kamon Shorts – thegrapplingaddict.com