Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Gear & Equipment Discussion > Gear & Equipment Reviews

Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
ThirdArmJJ

White Belt

vCash: 500
Review: KI International Double Weave Judo Gi

I searched high and low for a review of KI International double weave Judo gi and couldn’t find any longer than a few sentences. After taking the plunge and purchasing one, I decided to write a detailed review for my first post.

I’ve owned two KI Judo single weaves in the past. While well made and good for the price ($46 for a size 4), they were rough, and the pants sucked; essentially karate pants with reinforced knees, typical of the cheaper Judo gis.

My order was shipped the day of purchase and arrived two days later. I ordered a size 4 (for reference, I’m 5’9” and 140 pounds). Shipping weight was billed at seven pounds.

KI has vastly improved the quality of their products. The jacket is a little thicker than my Howard Combat double weave and very well constructed. The outside is rough not but overly abrasive, while the inside is soft. The skirt is also nice and heavy. Almost all of the seams inside the jacket are taped, even the edges of the underarm reinforcements. The collar is a little stiffer than that on my Atama single weave. As far as I can tell, this gi conforms to IJF regulations.

The jacket fabric weight is listed as 32 ounces on the KI website, but also as 900 grams. 32 oz sq/yd is 1087 grams, so I wasn’t sure which is correct. I contacted them and they said 32 ounces – heavy. In case you’re wondering, the jacket can stand on its own.

I bought this gi expecting to replace the pants with a quality pair. The pants provided have been improved over previous models – thicker fabric (a little heavier than my Fuji single weave pants), improved reinforcements, two drawstring loops in the front and knee reinforcements from about mid thigh to the cuff. Very nice.

After being washed cold and hang dried, the gi fits me well. (I didn’t bother taking any pictures of the gi before washing, as I figured most people are gonna wash their gi at least once.) Sleeve width is right around 8”. The pants fit right to my ankles. My biggest complain is that the drawstring loops are too far apart; the drawstring always ends up resting a few inches above the pants.

When air dryed, the gi isn’t stiff and doesn’t feel like sandpaper as the older KI gis did. In fact, I noticed a slight blue tint to the gi top after taking it out of the washer – a sign of good quality cotton.

Most who know of KI International considered their gis good for the price. With the improvements they’ve made, I can say this is probably the best deal on a gi out there. The quality looks and feels equal to Mizuno gis that cost twice as much. At $69 for a size 4, you really can’t go wrong.

Pictures and measurements will be in the next post.

ThirdArmJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
ThirdArmJJ

White Belt

Prewash measurements:
Sleeve width: 8.5”
Sleeve length (outer edge of collar to cuff): 26.5”
Collar width: 1.75”
Gi length: 32”
Gi width: 23.5”
Wingspan (cuff to cuff): 62.5”
Pants length: 39”
Pants width: 9.5”

Cold wash/hang dry measurements:
Sleeve width: 8.25”
Sleeve length: 26”
Gi length: 32”
Gi width: 23.25”
Wingspan (cuff to cuff): 60.5”
Pants length: 37.5”
Pants width: 9”

Pictures were taking after cold wash.

Sleeve width.

Sleeve length.

Collar width.

Gi length (or height).

Gi width.

Width of the back seam.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
ThirdArmJJ

White Belt

Cuff to cuff (wingspan, if you will).

Pants length.

Pants cuff width.

Here are the measurements after a warm wash and run through the dryer on medium heat:
Sleeve width: 8”
Sleeve length: 25.25”
Gi length: 31.25”
Gi width: 22”
Wingspan (cuff to cuff): 58.25”
Pants length: 36”
Pants width: 8.75”

Detailed pictures:

Gi skirt slit reinforcement – a big improvement over previous models (used to be just a little triangle patch, like that on the crotch of most gi pants).

Where the skirt meets the… top portion. Note that even the edge of the double layer chest patches are taped over.

Back seam.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
ThirdArmJJ

White Belt

Armpit reinforcement.

Jacket sleeve cuff.

Close up of the weave – nice and tight.

Pants crotch reinforcement.

Slit reinforcement. Again, improved over prior models.

Pants cuff reinforcement.

If you have any questions, feel free to post and I’ll do my best to answer.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 AM   #5
StoicDude

Blue Belt

Nice review!
Thank you for that. I can't believe this gi is thicker than Howard's double weave.

How does it compare to Howard's double?

StoicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
ThirdArmJJ

White Belt

It doesn't feel too much heavier than the Howard, but there is a difference. Indeed, the Howard double is made from 26 ounce fabric compared to the 32 ounce of the KI. Fabric of the KI feels a little softer too. While heavy, it isn't overly stiff like my DAX Moskito double (had to pull that gi out of the washer mid-cycle and flip it around to wash the entire thing... what a pain). The collar on the KI is nice and stiff, though the Howard is undeniably thicker. The back seam on the KI is smaller to conform to IJF regs.

The sleeves are little wider and the skirt is longer on the KI gi compared to the Howard double, but they're very similar. I like the fit of the Howard and the low price of the KI. My next gi will probably be another KI double.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
Valetudo025

Orange Belt

any updates on this Gi? how is it after training? thanks for the review, i just ordered one myself.

mission statement: exhaust the body, proceed the mind, cultivate the spirit.
since ever since - Fokai
Valetudo025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Valetudo025

Orange Belt

trained once with this Gi, seems to be pretty nice. Heavy but some what soft and doesn't feel like sandpaper! i like it so far. pants seem pretty good also. I like the plain look of it also this is my first double weave, my other ones are single weave. I think I will ask my girl to get me the blue one for christmas!

mission statement: exhaust the body, proceed the mind, cultivate the spirit.
since ever since - Fokai
Valetudo025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
cuality

Blue Belt

Bought the size 4 double last christmas, but only have been wearing it regularly to judo for the past three months. Has held up well. Really like the quality of the top. The top takes some getting used to due to its thickness/bulkiness compared to a single. This is more of a slim fitting gi in the waist compared to other judo gi's.

Overall great gi for someone on a budget. Especially during their holiday sales.

Last edited by cuality; 01-13-2011 at 12:04 AM.
cuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Spoonman7

Red Belt

how much for the double weave, gi looks nice

Burritos are my life-BJ Penn

The Very essence of martial arts is the thirst for knowledge and the truth about ourselves - Frank Shamrock
Spoonman7 is offline   Reply With Quote