Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Gear & Equipment Discussion > Gear & Equipment Reviews

Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Blair Dennett
Professional Fighter

vCash: 772
Prelim Review: Ringside Heritage Sparring Gloves w/pics

Alright so I know you want pics, scroll down and check them out then come back and read my review lol!!

This is a preliminary review for Ringsides brand new Heritage Sparring gloves in 16oz lace-up. So far Iíve given these 18 rounds of sparring, but I wanted to make a post to show some pictures and give some feedback to those who are looking at these gloves and wondering if anyone was going to give them a try.

Before I talk about what these gloves are, let me tell you what they arenít. These gloves are not for people who donít care what gear they use. They are not for people who are starting their first week of training, or for people who buy the cheapest gloves they can find from K-mart or a sporting goods store because they donít know that better gear exists.

But, by the same token, these gloves are not just for amateur fighters. They are not just for pro fighters. Hereís the reasons why:

There are 5 things I look for in a quality glove. They are protection, comfort, durability, design and value for money.

You need a protective glove so that you and your sparring partners can train safely without a high risk of injury. Because if you hurt yourself, you cant fight. And if you hurt your sparring partner, you might have no one else to train with!

You need comfortable gloves, because you should be spending as much time as possible in them!

You need durable gloves, because itís a waste of time and money to be replacing gloves all the time because they wear out too quick.

You need a well designed glove that is suitable for itís purpose. From the stitching to the padding to the laces, everything should be where itís supposed to be.

Lastly, you need a glove that is worth the price tag. For me personally, if a glove meets all the other criteria, I donít care about the price. Which is why I like Winning gear. But the truth is, if 2 different pairs of gloves are equally as good, but one is cheaper, obviously we would all pick the cheaper gloves, because they represent better value.

So with that said, how do these gloves stack up?

Protection

By far the most important quality of a glove to me is protection. In my opinion, IMF padding is on par with Winning as the most protective padding you can buy. Itís by far better value for money too.

The new IMF padding really shines, itís a little firmer than the old padding (maybe 5-10% firmer as Darrin from Ringside rightly estimated) and itís just superb for training. This is where itís at folks, IMF is the staple for sparring gloves as far as Iím concerned.

Comfort

These are easily the most comfortable gloves Iíve ever used. The fit is perfect, they are incredibly light and the lining is heaven on your hands. You could spar all day in these and your hands wouldnít feel a thing.

I want to just reiterate how light these gloves are as well. They are really really light and easy to punch with.

They breathe much better than the old elastic sleeve IMF gloves which only makes them more comfortable as well.

Durability

These are brand new, but the Ringside guys assured me that whatever I could throw at them, they would survive.

So thatís precisely my plan, Iím going to throw these babies at everything- mitts, heavy bag, sparring, DE even the old sand filled thai bags we have at the gym. My mother in law is also coming for Christmas again, so I plan to see if I can remove a few pounds of her leathery dragon flesh from her ugly mug too.

Design

These gloves are simply beautiful. Everything from the stitching, the lining, the padding is immaculate.

The leather is gorgeous, and the aesthetics are clean and simple. The word ďHeritageĒ is really fitting here because the gloves are a throwback to the golden age of boxing with the use of the brown leather. Words and pictures cannot describe how stunning these gloves look.

My boxing coach has spent 30 years coaching and his jaw dropped when he saw these, I owe the guys at Ringside a thanks for the smile it put on his face (and mine).

The best part of these gloves I believe is the lacing system. Itís perfect! I was a bit worried the new fancy concoction lacing system would be all sizzle and no steak but Iím pleased to say thatís not the case. They take literally less than 5 seconds per glove to tie. Superb.

Value for money

This is an individual decision, but in my opinion, given how long these gloves look to last and how well they perform, they are worth every penny. Once you get a pair I doubt youíll even remember the price tag.

I will post a follow up review in the new year, but for now if anyone has any questions please go ahead and ask and Iíll do my best to answer them.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Blair Dennett
Professional Fighter

Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Blair Dennett
Professional Fighter

Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
mark9fiji

White Belt

vCash: 500
How did you pick these up?! I've been waiting for them to come out!

mark9fiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
mark9fiji

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Dennett View Post
These are easily the most comfortable gloves I’ve ever used. The fit is perfect, they are incredibly light and the lining is heaven on your hands. You could spar all day in these and your hands wouldn’t feel a thing.
Do your hands get hot in them? And how're they compared to winnings?

mark9fiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
SkribbLe

Orange Belt

awesome review. I also am interested in how they stack up with winnings.

SkribbLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Blair Dennett
Professional Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9fiji View Post
Do your hands get hot in them? And how're they compared to winnings?
They are well ventilated despite the nice thick leather. I would imagine the lace-up version is a bit more breathable than Ringsides other elastic cover gloves.

The lining does a great job of dissipating the heat, and they dry quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkribbLe View Post
awesome review. I also am interested in how they stack up with winnings.
I'd have them just about equal. But for the price, these are $199 compared to $350 + shipping for Winning.

I also like the classic look of these a bit more than Winning (which have a nice clean look as well).

Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
Minowafanatic

Brown Belt

Blair is the man!

Minowafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Minowafanatic

Brown Belt

let us know how they perform on your mother-in-law!

Ringside should be really proud of themselves cos it looks like they really did make a new world class boxing glove

edit: so purely in terms of quality of materials and craftmanship, and at this early juncture, how do you feel they stack up to Cletos, Grants and Winnings?

Minowafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Blair Dennett
Professional Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minowafanatic View Post
edit: so purely in terms of quality of materials and craftmanship, and at this early juncture, how do you feel they stack up to Cletos, Grants and Winnings?
I'd rate them as good as the big 3. The materials and craftmanship on these is world class.

It's obvious the leather is supreme quality when part of the price includes leather oil as well to condition it with.