Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Gear & Equipment Discussion > Gear & Equipment Reviews

Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Ballistics

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCP84 View Post
That is why I was like, "wtf, cotton twill pants wit ripstop Gi?". A lot of companies are coming out with ripstop Gis, but the jacket and pants are ripstop.
The gi comes out literally average to most other gis with the pants. The jacket itself is an oz or 2 lighter than the gameness air jacket which says something. The pants are amazing though, I think it's a pretty balanced gi. But you are right, it's definitely an unusual combination.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
fightersmarket

White Belt

Hey guys, I would like to shed some light on the decision of producing the Rip Stop model with Cotton twill instead of rip stop (polyester/cotton), rip stop (100% cotton) or canvas pants.

When we received our first sample of the RS gi we had 2 pant samples which were both rip stop. One was the same as the 420 Light gi pants (blend of polyester/cotton) and the other was made 100% cotton 420gms rip stop fabric (same material as the gi top).

We had the idea of making this gi model our most comfortable one and for this reason we dropped the 420gms pants which are way too heavy and not very comfortable. The other model of pants were light but not nearly as comfortable as the pants we had received on our COMP 550 model (cotton twill). Thay aren't as light but after a couple of washes these pants feel and perform amazingly well.

We receive a lot of feedback from gis from all of the brands we retail and the feedback on rip stop polyester/cotton pants ranges from loving to hating the polyester on the pants. For this reason we opted or the comfort and tradition of cotton for this model.

Thank you all for the contructive feedback we have received so far!

Regards, Bruno
Fightersmarket.com

Last edited by fightersmarket; 01-05-2012 at 10:26 PM.
fightersmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #13
Nickynoneck

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightersmarket View Post
Hey guys, I would like to shed some light on the decision of producing the Rip Stop model with Cotton twill instead of rip stop (polyester/cotton), rip stop (100% cotton) or canvas pants.

When we received our first sample of the RS gi we had 2 pant samples which were both rip stop. One was the same as the 420 Light gi pants (blend of polyester/cotton) and the other was made 100% cotton 420gms rip stop fabric (same material as the gi top).

We had the idea of making this gi model our most comfortable one and for this reason we dropped the 420gms pants which are way too heavy and not very comfortable. The other model of pants were light but not nearly as comfortable as the pants we had received on our COMP 550 model (cotton twill). Thay aren't as light but after a couple of washes these pants feel and perform amazingly well.

We receive a lot of feedback from gis from all of the brands we retail and the feedback on rip stop polyester/cotton pants ranges from loving to hating the polyester on the pants. For this reason we opted or the comfort and tradition of cotton for this model.

Thank you all for the contructive feedback we have received so far!

Regards, Bruno
Fightersmarket.com
I have never been a fan of ripstop pants its just a preference but i just find them restrictive .

Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
Amave

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickynoneck View Post
I have never been a fan of ripstop pants its just a preference but i just find them restrictive .

imo they can be restrictive IF they are fitted. The baggier rip stop pants i own are not restrictive

Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #15
seammagear

Blue Belt

To be honest, I didn't see this ripstop gi as a lightweight model. That's what the Light is for. Saw it more for the different feel in the gi top, I'm guessing some will prefer this to a single/pearl/gold/double/whathaveyou weave.

Kauai isn't exactly comparable because they use a different material for their ripstop. So once again it's a preference thing. If I had to choose though between ripstop materials though, I'd go cotton ripstop for top, the canvassy polyester blend ripstop for pants. Don't like the Kauai top, but generally love my ripstop pants.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
Nickynoneck

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by seammagear View Post
To be honest, I didn't see this ripstop gi as a lightweight model. That's what the Light is for. Saw it more for the different feel in the gi top, I'm guessing some will prefer this to a single/pearl/gold/double/whathaveyou weave.

Kauai isn't exactly comparable because they use a different material for their ripstop. So once again it's a preference thing. If I had to choose though between ripstop materials though, I'd go cotton ripstop for top, the canvassy polyester blend ripstop for pants. Don't like the Kauai top, but generally love my ripstop pants.
I have only tried ground controls ripstop and jjpgs rip stop , they felt great standing , fit great but as soon as i tried to play guard , i couldnt lift my legs passed my hip they would just stop . i couldnt roll into inverted or anything , now the jjpg comp pants and any other twill pants work fine . if a gi has rip stop pants I am now and forever paranoid i would have this problem so i dont buy them .

Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
BigCP84**
Banned

Well if it wasn't meant to be a light weight Gi, the reason other companies use ripstop, how stiff is the collar? And how stiff is the weave? Because I can see it being a pain in the ass to break grips on that jacket; that is the one thing I like about my Mundial 9, its super hard for people to get good grips.

Last edited by BigCP84**; 01-06-2012 at 09:44 AM.
BigCP84** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Julianfolkbjj

Yellow Belt

haha 420

Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #19
seammagear

Blue Belt

>Nick
I guess that's why they put the crotch panel? Might help.

>Big
I'd think it's about the same as a pearl, maybe a little less stiff? I'm not the best guy with regard to this, but the roughness of the gi makes it quite painful for the guy who gets his grip broken.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #20
slideyfoot
Artemis BJJ Co-Founder

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add my review in here. I'm wearing a white A1: for reference, I'm 5'7" and about 145lbs.

(Full size pic of the weave on the Kingz 420gsm top compared to that on the Gorilla 250gsm top here)

Short Review: If you want an ultra lightweight gi, but don't feel comfortable with the extremely thin ripstops like Gorilla and Kauai, then the Kingz Ripstop serves as a happy medium. It is still ripstop, and therefore lightweight and quick-drying, but at 420gsm it is also much thicker than either the Gorilla or Kauai. In addition, the trousers are not ripstop, but sturdy standard cotton, with the same unusual flexible crotch panel as other models in the current Kingz product line.

Full review with more pics here.