Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Gear & Equipment Discussion > Gear & Equipment Reviews

Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
koreankid6413

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Fairtex Pro Sparring Gloves-BGV5

Here's my very first review so be gentle. I'm doing my on the popular Fairtex BGV5's or as they are more commonly known as the Pro Sparring Gloves.

I recieved these gloves around January after they were backordered for a while. I ordered the 16oz gloves and use them only for sparring. Right away when opening these gloves, I knew that I had made a very nice investment. Straight away you can tell these gloves are built very solidly and have very good overall protection and fit and feel. The look of the smooth black leather and the smell of the new gloves was beautiful.

It only took me about 3 weeks to really break in the gloves using only sparring sessions. I wouldn't waste these gloves on pad or bag work because they will wear down so much quicker plus the wrist support is more geared towards sparring and not pad/bag work. They are a great sparring glove. The padding is forgiving unlike the stiff dense padding in Windy's but they aren't pillows such as had been said about Winning gloves. The wrist support is pretty good. I think Windy's have some of the best wrist support but for sparring I personally like a little movement in my wrist for clinching and what not and these gloves are just perfect for it. The head of the glove where your fingers go have a little pocket which allow you to make a tighter fist which I love with these gloves.

The glove provides good protection along the whole area that it covers. Good for blocking punches and kicks. I also like that the gloves are a bit sleeker than the thai gloves providing a little less bulk however the glove overall is still pretty large but not out of the ordinary.

Overall I give these gloves an 8.5 out of 10

Pros
Great Feel
Good wrist support
Quality Construction
Forgiving Padding

Cons
Large Hand compartment
Wrist support may not be as high as some want

koreankid6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
koreankid6413

Brown Belt

Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
koreankid6413

Brown Belt

Old 05-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
nickyrr

Blue Belt

Awesome looking gloves man. I'm a big fan of fairtex... then again whose not?

nickyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
lublin82

Green Belt

How are the holding up..

lublin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
kicker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreankid6413 View Post
Cons
Large Hand compartment
Larger than twins?

kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
koreankid6413

Brown Belt

Sorry guys, haven't checked this review in ages. Umm, I normally don't wear twins but I know that their 16oz are like boats! The hand compartment is large but it would be hard to say they're larger than twins.
I've had them about a year and a half now and they are still as good as new but I strictly use these only for sparring. The padding is nice and soft for your sparring partners but the other day while boxing I did end up jamming my thumb. I've read complaints about fairtex's thumb protection but honestly, it was my own fault throwing a looping punch that caught my thumb. This is the first trouble I've ever had with them and would not use it to not buy them again.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #8
Arkitekt

Green Belt

Just recently ordered these Fairtex BGV5's. I was lucky enough to find a great deal that was too hard to pass up. Should have them in about a week.

koreankid6413, how are your BGV5's holding up? Does anyone else have these gloves to chime in on them and how they're keeping up with regular use? Thanks!

I support: DATSUSARA, CAGESIDE, FighterWarehouse, WorldFightShop, SiriusGis (RIP)
Arkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Mark Limbaga
Amateur Fighter

I agree the padding is good enough although I have felt that I can knuckle through them sometimes but these are a much better choice than the BGV1s

Old 01-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Arkitekt

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Limbaga View Post
I agree the padding is good enough although I have felt that I can knuckle through them sometimes but these are a much better choice than the BGV1s
Thanks for the input Mark. Why do you feel that the BGV5's much better than the BGV1's? Aren't the BGV1's just an all-around training glove while the BGV5's are just sparring-exclusive?

I support: DATSUSARA, CAGESIDE, FighterWarehouse, WorldFightShop, SiriusGis (RIP)
Arkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote