Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique > Weapons and Tactics

Weapons and Tactics Discuss Weapons.....and Tactics.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
RevMrBlack
Banned

vCash: 500
My knives

Thought I'd share my blades with you. The first folder I ever bought was a Spyderco Delica (I believe). It served me well for a number of years, but as other knife companies began making folders with pocket clips, I became interested in upgrading. I gave the Spyderco to my cousin, and he only recently had to purchase a new folder. I'll describe the folders going top-to-bottom, left-to-right:

Top left is the Smith & Wesson SWAT Special Tactical. It was my first attempt at replacing the Spyderco. I found it to be too large and too heavy. The frame is all metal with a frame lock, and although, it has a slim profile, the overall size of the knife was too much for what I needed. I needed something a little smaller and less intimidating for a work environment.

Just underneath the S&W is the Colt Cobra. I really liked this knife. It was quick to open with the protruding stud on the spine. You could simply run your forefinger down the spine and voilą! I was always a bit concerned with the strength of the blade. I never felt I could pry with it. Again, this is a frame lock model. The one thing I didn't care for was the point down carry in the pocket.

Still being concerned with the intimidation factor, I downgraded to the Colt Cobra II that you see just beneath. Good knife, and I didn't really worry about damaging it. I used that particular one as my EDC for quite a while.

Beneath that, is the Emerson CQC7 that I purchased at Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Another frame lock tanto with partial serrations. There isn't enough good I could say about this knife. I still carry it from time to time.

Next one down is the Emerson Wave Commander. I ordered it because I loved the CQC7 so much, and I don't regret it at all. It remains the best folder I own. Obviously, it's not an EDC. It's strictly a fighting knife, faster to open than an assisted or automatic. Below, you'll see a picture of the shoulder rig I have for it.

Top middle - As will occasionally happen, one gets the bug for a new knife. That's when I ordered the Benchmade HK 14255S. This is the only folder I own that isn't a frame lock. It utilizes Benchmade's Axis lock system, which I like very well. Steel casing adds to the overall strength. Jimping on the spine gives excellent control for slashing or stabbing. It's just been a great knife. Rides point up in the pocket. I really like everything about it.

Below that is the Meyerco Dirk Pinkerton Wharning. A nice little assisted open blade. Perfect for a backup.

Next is the Gerber 06 FAST, which will be my heavy lifting knife for quite a while. Assisted open, it locks open and closed. Has a glass breaking butt. The handle provides excellent control in any hand position. Plus, it's at a price that you don't worry about prying, pounding, etc.

In the last column are a couple of knives I picked up, not necessarily for utilitarian purposes, but for my own obscene fascination with knives. The top one is a Boker HK X-15-TN. Back when Boker still had the HK contract, I picked this little baby up at Smokey Mountain Knife Works. The thumb stud is an actual magazine release button that are used on some of their firearms.

Below that is the Benchmade HK Snody 14300S. Not much more than a pen knife, but I like the look of it. I thought the neoprene bag with the HK logo was rather amusing.

Next, I'll share my fixed blades with you.

RevMrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Jmarc

Black Belt

You use these for killing people?

Old 09-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
RevMrBlack
Banned

Alright, now for fixed blades:

At the very top is the Emerson-Neely Timberline Specwar. It was hot stuff many years ago. The thing is a hunk of metal for sure, but it feels a bit strange in the hand. Still, I'm sure it would come in handy in a SERE type situation.

Below that, is the Strider BT-SS. I hear a lot of people saying that Strider sucks and then I hear others say they're the best. They seem to be quite polarizing. I've not had any problems with the knife, but I've yet to put it to really hard use.

Below that is your standard Ka-Bar 1214 in black. Good all around knife.

Running down the side is a Boker Applegate-Fairbairn Combat I. A fighting knife all the way, it feels really good in the hand. It's a one purpose knife though.

And below that is an impulse purchase I made, the Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate FB Survival Knife. Humorously, enough, I really like this knife. It feels great to me. It's a nice size and the handle offers great control from a wide variety of grips.

Still looking for the perfect fixed blade though...

Old 09-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
RevMrBlack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarc View Post
You use these for killing people?
No. Just thought I'd share my collection. This is Weapons and Tactics, after all.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Doctorsteel35***
Banned

dang these are pretty sweet. i have a kbar knife i love it but i never use! i got an airforce one and a navy one.

Also had an ontario

i have a # of lockblades but none are to nice. i have a nice winchester border guard i like it at least and usually carry that 1 on me, also i have a gerber freeman fixed hunting blade which i dont use ever.

overall nice collection

Doctorsteel35*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
mediumpimpin

Orange Belt

Nice collection man! I have that same gerber in the first picture I think. Great knife. I used to have a Kbar but I sold it

mediumpimpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
RevMrBlack
Banned

Thanks, guys!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
DeanFilkins

Green Belt

Nice collection, but why do you have so many knives?

DeanFilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
TexasDrugAddict
Banned

Really like.the little one.middle row,middle one.

I have 3 Kershaws that were giving to me as a gift. love them, two have all steel handle and look this, and the other is a tiny key chain size one.

TexasDrugAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
RevMrBlack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFilkins View Post
Nice collection, but why do you have so many knives?
Hobby.