Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique > Weapons and Tactics

Weapons and Tactics Discuss Weapons.....and Tactics.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #21
supernova
光縁 LIGHTBRINGER 起物

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughbelly View Post
I'm not deaf. I heard his credentials the first time, before I made my post. I just don't think they mean much.

I like what those ARMA guys do. I think if you give those guys real swords versus any modern Japanese weapons art practitioner, the ARMA guy wins. That entire Western martial arts reconstruction community is very impressive.

That said, this "experience" doesn't mean much to me when the talk turns to using bladed weapons outside of the historical context. None of these guys have ever cut or stabbed someone in anger and have probably never been there first hand to see the incident or deal with the aftermath of the wounds.

I think these guys might have better ideas about how it would work in a real life situation than the average Joe, but I don't think they actually have much first hand knowledge about killing and nor much knowledge of what it actually takes to kill a person with an edged weapon. If these guys had any idea of what it takes to chop through a man's natural defensive posture when he's being hacked on by a sharp machete, they'd know exactly how absurd this "weapon" is for some of their potential purposes they themselves bring up in the video.

And no, taking some stabs and hacking at sides of hanging sides of beef doesn't count. If that's as close as they've gotten and are extrapolating from that, as I've seen many of these knife/bladed weapons "experts" do, then they really have no clue.

Seriously, SWAT? Is that a joke?
While what you said is true to a point there are actual kenjutsu students and schools who produce actual skilled swordsmen that have much higher skills than that guy ever could possess.

Isao Machii and his Water Gull School produce legit swordfighters that train and spar with live swords.

The Maeda family in Japan still trains in there traditional style in the traditional ways. I would know that is where I learned.

I have studied under them for 20 years learning kenjutsu and jujutsu. I have sparred Olympic medalists in fencing, Kendo champions, and any fanboi with a love for western rapiers and handily won every time. And the two people who trained me are much better than I am.

So I agree in principle that the ARMA guy would fare very well against a kendo or iaido student and even against a lot of modern kenjutsu students but there are real legit japanese swordfighters out there. Very rare, but still there.

Also if you go to the 'Official show your shit' thread on the last page you can see some of my antique swords I own.

Wandering stars, for whom it is reserved--
The blackness of darkness forever.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #22
SweetDaddySiki

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
While what you said is true to a point there are actual kenjutsu students and schools who produce actual skilled swordsmen that have much higher skills than that guy ever could possess.

Isao Machii and his Water Gull School produce legit swordfighters that train and spar with live swords.

The Maeda family in Japan still trains in there traditional style in the traditional ways. I would know that is where I learned.

I have studied under them for 20 years learning kenjutsu and jujutsu. I have sparred Olympic medalists in fencing, Kendo champions, and any fanboi with a love for western rapiers and handily won every time. And the two people who trained me are much better than I am.
I was under the impression that Kenjutsu practitioners are generally discouraged from sparring.

SweetDaddySiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #23
supernova
光縁 LIGHTBRINGER 起物

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDaddySiki View Post
I was under the impression that Kenjutsu practitioners are generally discouraged from sparring.
Maybe in some schools but we spar full speed with chainmail/bamboo slat armor and wooden swords as well as armored with shinken.

I would not go to or recommend a ryu where you are discouraged from sparring. Kata only gets you prepared for so much before you need to practice against a real opponent.

Kenjutsu in its purest form is combat meant to kill.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #24
SweetDaddySiki

Yellow Belt

Where is your Dojo?

There are not many Kenjutsu masters in japan that I know of who encourage sparring, as they see it as a game that can distort the art away from its intent.

Which olympic medallist fencers did you spar with?

SweetDaddySiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #25
supernova
光縁 LIGHTBRINGER 起物

Outside of Komatsu in Ishikawa. I am fortunate enough to have trained in other places including America.

The few koryu schools I have experienced all sparred. Not just kumitachi but bogu and hatsuwari, gekikin, and full-on bokuto and bogu. My ryuha and two others also sparred with shinken-- slashes only and chainmail (I think its called bushin reisen chimata?). I don't know how many kenjutsu masters you know or what you think I mean by 'sparring' but to be effective you must train as close as possible to being in a real fight to truly learn the essence of the art. Sword arts at their purist form are meant to kill and a two person choreographed dance with swords does not do that.

Daniel Strigel and Alex Weber. Verd Kothny beat me pretty easily with saber rules. The whole right of way thing that encourages fencing matches to go back and forth was weird to me.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #26
teamcarvalho

Green Belt

Okay who made this guy an Expert of edged weapons

“Competition Jiu-Jitsu represents only 30% of real Jiu-Jitsu."
teamcarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #27
RAZOR1
Blue Collar

my ADHD kicks in hardcore when people are going through their street credz...

good video!