Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique > Weapons and Tactics

Weapons and Tactics Discuss Weapons.....and Tactics.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
marclasvegas

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
anyone know what self defence weapons a felon can carry?

i was convicted of a felony years ago and can't find any real info about what i can and can't carry and have in my posesion , i read im not even allowed to shot a paintball gun for fun ,im in the prosses of trying to get my gun rights back but even to talk to a good laywer is going to cost alot and going back to curt in the state i was convicted is going to cost even more(i was convicted in virginia and now live in nevada) i have desent self-defense training but even my teachers don't know what i can carry, what if someone trys to rob me and has a gun jiu-jitsu isn't going to help, i think a taser might be ok

Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Ryo

Black Belt

Tasers will be illegal for you to carry. Don't do it. Unfortunately... in the State Of North Carolina (don't know if it's the same in Nevada) a convicted felon can posses a blackpowder rifle or pistol. Why? I have no idea, I guess our all knowing, all seeing, legislature, havn't figured out that you can kill somebody just as dead with a blackpowder gun as you can with a regular gun. Hopefully that all changes in the near future though. Laws change everytime the Supreme court meets, so hopefully they get that one taken care of in the near future.

“Back in the day, a Ninja didn’t have his girlfriend sitting in the tree waiting to kill shit.”
Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
marclasvegas

Yellow Belt

yeah i was trying to read the nevada code but i guess i cant understand it and i know i can't carry a taser or a stun gun i hope i can carry a knife because i always have one for work, i have a meeting with a lawyer to try to get my gun rights back its just going to take a lot of money

Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
davezilla

White Belt

I would recommend mace. I believe that is a legal self defense item in every state no matter if you have a record or not.

davezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
MARINECOP
Banned

Sorry, but your a felon. Any weapon would be considered unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon, which is another felony. I think you might be able to have a BB gun.

MARINECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Byron Pechorin

Silver Belt

Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
ssssmashing

Purple Belt

I would suggest carrying a ballpoint pen - And no I'm not kidding. It is absolutely lethal. It is completely legal. It is concealable. It is a good close range weapon and can never be questioned by law enforcement. You can even carry it on a plane.

Pretty much anything else you have that is not in plain sight could get you pinched for carrying a concealed weapon. Even a lockblade in a case worn in plain sight on your hip can get you in trouble if it is longer than permitted by a particular municipality.

And if someone wants to rob you, give them what they want. Nothing you have in your wallet is worth dying for.

ssssmashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
redjako

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marclasvegas View Post
i was convicted of a felony years ago and can't find any real info about what i can and can't carry and have in my posesion , i read im not even allowed to shot a paintball gun for fun ,im in the prosses of trying to get my gun rights back but even to talk to a good laywer is going to cost alot and going back to curt in the state i was convicted is going to cost even more(i was convicted in virginia and now live in nevada) i have desent self-defense training but even my teachers don't know what i can carry, what if someone trys to rob me and has a gun jiu-jitsu isn't going to help, i think a taser might be ok
HRm.

As a felon, I am still under the impression that I need to "apply" somehow to receive my rights back.

You are not allowed to carry Any weapon.

If I'm checking a weird noise out in the house or outside, I bring a big flashlight. Nice big club, and isn't per se a "weapon"....still fucked if I use it though.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #9
redjako

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssssmashing View Post
I would suggest carrying a ballpoint pen - And no I'm not kidding. It is absolutely lethal. It is completely legal. It is concealable. It is a good close range weapon and can never be questioned by law enforcement. You can even carry it on a plane.

Pretty much anything else you have that is not in plain sight could get you pinched for carrying a concealed weapon. Even a lockblade in a case worn in plain sight on your hip can get you in trouble if it is longer than permitted by a particular municipality.

And if someone wants to rob you, give them what they want. Nothing you have in your wallet is worth dying for.
Indeed. Your little folding knife won't do much anyway, you probably want to carry one to feel safer...

Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
wheelkick

Blue Belt

It's better to be properly armed and break the law than to follow it and die. The old " I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six'" says it all.