Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Worldwide MMA Discussion

Worldwide MMA Discussion This is the place for all non-UFC/WEC/Pride events, including Strikeforce, Affliction, HDNet Fights, Cage Rage, KOTC, ROTR, Shooto, and the like.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
grooves12

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Will Cris Cyborg ever fight again?

Personally, I think her career is done.

When a male fighter fails a drug test, most people blow it off as, "Well everyone does it, just too bad he got caught." But, for a woman fighter, the advantage is MUCH larger for a PED user, but so are the side effects. So, you end up with a huge disperity in strength and performance.

I think because of that, there will be a MUCH bigger stigma for her to overcome if she ever wants to get back in the ring again. I think she has essentially lost all credibility, and there won't be many people clamoring to see her fight again. Most current contendors probably won't want to fight her, and there will be no stigma against them for "ducking" her.

Zuffa has already said the 145 Women's division is essentially dead because of this, so where will she fight?

grooves12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
mikey diablo

Brown Belt

It's how she comes back. I hate to say it, but it's almost in her best interest to throw a fight with Carano. Either that or blood test the entire time through her next camp and hold tight on the line that someone didn't check a supplement.

If she comes back strong and stomps someone it just looks like she got a better masking agent, and on the other hand if she comes back looking weak all her fights are tainted. She's kind of in a no win situation.

When I grow up I want to be Joe Warren, that guy is my hero.
mikey diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
TardStrong

Purple Belt

Well if she comes back 100% clean she will be smaller and can make 135. I would like to see her compete there for a more level playing field.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
emperor

Red Belt

Probably not in America, since by the time she's off suspension there won't be a 145 division anywhere.

Plus, when you consider how hard it was already for her to find opponents willing to find her, and now that she's been caught cheating...yeah, it's not looking good.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
D3THRONED

Purple Belt

vCash: 542
Yeah she should fight Carano because I want to see a fair fight.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
FILTH PIG

Green Belt

Dont know.
Hope so.

FILTH PIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
58miles

Blue Belt

Before she should ever be allowed to fight again she should either prove that her whole I took a " new supplement" and didn't know what it was story is true or admit to everything from the first day she ever took steroids. Otherwise I don't have any interest in seeing her fight again and very few other people will either.

58miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
MolesyMMA

Silver Belt

She'll pay the fine, serve the time and get back to fighting. I'm sure she still enjoys it and needs to earn money.

Rick Glenn HL - youtu.be/x0HjdQLklAQ
MolesyMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
WimpLo2

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12 View Post
Personally, I think her career is done.

When a male fighter fails a drug test, most people blow it off as, "Well everyone does it, just too bad he got caught." But, for a woman fighter, the advantage is MUCH larger for a PED user, but so are the side effects. So, you end up with a huge disperity in strength and performance.

I think because of that, there will be a MUCH bigger stigma for her to overcome if she ever wants to get back in the ring again. I think she has essentially lost all credibility, and there won't be many people clamoring to see her fight again. Most current contendors probably won't want to fight her, and there will be no stigma against them for "ducking" her.
yup you nailed it. out of all women fighters, cyborg was the only one that had that "steroid" masculine women's body builder look. such a sad day for women's MMA. But this opens more opportunity for legit women fighters.

Kind of makes you wonder if Gina would have won if Cyborg didn't have all that testosterone flowing through her veins.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
MMAbarbie

Orange Belt

Well it shouldnt depend on your gender to be honest, the punishment should be same.

MMAbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote