Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Worldwide MMA Discussion

Worldwide MMA Discussion This is the place for all non-UFC/WEC/Pride events, including Strikeforce, Affliction, HDNet Fights, Cage Rage, KOTC, ROTR, Shooto, and the like.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #51
vasililiev

White Belt

vCash: 500

If this OLD and completely out of shape FEDOR can threw Brett Rogers on the ground like a doll...................

.........this Prime Fedor will be for sure able to takedown JDS and GNP him badly.

The only one fighter that have any small chance versus Prime Fedor it is CAIN!

Last edited by vasililiev; 03-12-2014 at 06:57 AM.
vasililiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #52
moreorless87

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRFC53 View Post
Fedor has so many fanboys so its no surprise to see most are going with him but failing to break down the fight.

Realistically tho, JDS is a bad match up for Fedor. JDS has great takedown defence, great hands, great chin and a he is fast and powerful. Cain really struggled to take him down so his strategy revolved around setting a ridiculous pace and pinning him against the cage to tire him; something Fedor wouldn't be able to do.

This fight would more than likely take place on the feet because Fedor would be unable to take him down and keep him there and that is a bad place to be against JDS.
Again though look at what happened vs Cain, JDS didn't lose thoses fights due to grappling, he lost them because he was unable to deal with a quick opponent with dangerous stand-up and a grappling threat pressuring him.

Fedor would more than likely fight JDS in the same way Cain did except he's arguably even more dangerous standing with better defence. Jnr might have a great chin but not so great that he can take bombs whilst backing up or up against the stage showing limited head movement.

Even if he wasn't KOed I think Fedor would likely have beaten the fight out of him standing ten put him way on the ground.

moreorless87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #53
Flash_Monsta

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Now, JDS.

Pride times, Fedor.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #54
RakodaJay**
Banned

Same way Cain beat him. JDS can't fight when someone's in his face. He completely shuts down and just goes back in a straight line with his hands down.

RakodaJay** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #55
Scoop

Brown Belt

Right now? Probably JDS. In 2005? Fedor.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #56
Pancake Sprawl
WAR IGOR!!!11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless87 View Post
Perhaps not as powerful as the really big hitters(Fedor, Crocop, JDS) but I wouldn't say he's too far off and certainly capable of KOing a lot of the division.

Again for me its not offence but defence that's the much bigger question mark standing. Cain didn't really have to show amazing defence to beat Jnr the 2nd and 3rd time, rather he exploited a gapping hole in his opponents standup game.
Like I said, I think he can knock people out, because anyone who is in the HW division has enough weight behind their strikes to take anyone else out, but he never really commits to his power shots and like I said in my earlier post he chooses to use his cardio more than anything. But he'll most likely never KO an elite HW in the 1st rd with 1 punch.

The last time I saw him throw a punch with real heat behind it was against Nogueira with the counter left hook he caught him with and the subsequent follow up punches.

I also think Cain will never really be good defensively because his style lends itself to being hyper aggressive the entire fight, and he's a HW, they aren't really known for being extremely coordinated and nimble. Most HWs don't have good defense, unless you consider being able to take a huge amount of punishment a defensive style.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #57
GearSolidMetal

Black Belt

JDS is one of the Top 5 HWs in the history of the sport. He's especially good against fighter's who are foolish enough to strike with him and stay within his range. Cain in their 2nd and 3rd fights got on JDS's inside and tore him up in striking and takedowns, and let's not pretend that Fedor wouldn't have done at least as good as Cain did.

GearSolidMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #58
MrKilroyT

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasililiev View Post

If this OLD and completely out of shape FEDOR can threw Brett Rogers on the ground like a doll...................

.........this Prime Fedor will be for sure able to takedown JDS and GNP him badly.

The only one fighter that have any small chance versus Prime Fedor it is CAIN!
Using Brett Rogers as an example for anything is just embarrassing. Dude may be the least talented guy to ever fight for a promotion as big as Strikeforce.

MW: Belcher, Mousasi, AS
WW: Condit, Lima, Kampmann
LW:Cerrone, Alvarez
FW: Aldo, KZ, Curran, McGregor
BW: McDonald, Barao, Moraes
FLW: Uncle Creepy
MrKilroyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #59
Pancake Sprawl
WAR IGOR!!!11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRFC53 View Post
Fedor has so many fanboys so its no surprise to see most are going with him but failing to break down the fight.

Realistically tho, JDS is a bad match up for Fedor. JDS has great takedown defence, great hands, great chin and a he is fast and powerful. Cain really struggled to take him down so his strategy revolved around setting a ridiculous pace and pinning him against the cage to tire him; something Fedor wouldn't be able to do.

This fight would more than likely take place on the feet because Fedor would be unable to take him down and keep him there and that is a bad place to be against JDS.
You think because JDS is good at defending single legs that that is what is great takedown defense against a guy who almost solely takes people down from the clinch?

These things you describe are so abstract and generic that it makes me wonder if you even watched Fedor fight before. So much assumptions and no real facts.

Let me show you why most people think Fedor would beat him, and it's not because we're "fanboys".

JDS is great at spinning out of singles and uses his side stance to force people to shoot them. Unfortunately for him Fedor uses body clinch takedowns and trips to get people down.

Cain really struggled to take him down because he didn't setup any of his takedowns with his strikes, because he knew if he started off striking JDS would've timed him and looked to land a KO punch on him. Cain used his takedown attempts to get into JDS' head.

Fedor can set a pretty high pace himself because he did something very similar to what Cain did, to CroCop but he did it without looking as amateurish as Cain did against a guy who had way more tools then JDS has. I know, some people will point out how I said Cain was amateurish and jump in to hate on me because Cain is their hero, but these are facts. He literally flopped on his belly after COMPLETELY missing a takedown in the 2nd fight. I've NEVER seen that in an MMA fight, and especially a title fight.

I doubt Fedor would struggle to take JDS down because he wouldn't hesitate to strike with him in the beginning, where he has much better head movement and counter punching ability then Cain does. If JDS was confused by the initial takedown spam by Cain that largely was ineffective at getting him to the ground and was unable to counter or capitalize on a guy who's making it no secret he's just going to spam takedowns, imagine how confused JDS is going to be when one of Fedor's best punches (right handed casting punch) looks EXACTLY like a clinch attempt.

If the fight goes passed rd 1 JDS is in even bigger trouble. We're talking about a guy who hits so hard that he shattered both of Heath Herring's cheekbones within the 1st 10 minutes of the fight. Cain needed 5 rds to make JDS' face all swollen but no real bone shattering or grotesquely gigantic cuts were opened, I'd put money on that Fedor would have had the fight stopped by a doctor after 3 rds.

Cain is no doubt the best HW there is today, and JDS is 2nd fiddle, but they both aren't the best HWs ever.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #60
prikoke

Purple Belt

Prime Fedor could implement the same gameplan as Cain did. He was not as good a wrestler, but he was good in the clinch due to his sambo/judo background, and his stand-up was better and punches harder than Cain's; he also had a decent chin so he could afford to take a couple of counter shots JDS would sneak in.
IDK how people can say today's HW are more "evolved" than Fedor. I'd favor Fedor over everyone but Cain and even against Cain it's pretty much a toss-up.
Also how can JDS be better than Crocop?

prikoke is offline   Reply With Quote