Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Worldwide MMA Discussion

Worldwide MMA Discussion This is the place for all non-UFC/WEC/Pride events, including Strikeforce, Affliction, HDNet Fights, Cage Rage, KOTC, ROTR, Shooto, and the like.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:37 AM   #1
The Giff

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Ultimate Fitness Center,Wichita

Has anyone here trained at the Ultimate Fitness Center in Wichtita? If so how is it?

The Giff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:58 AM   #2
AndSoEyeKnow

Brown Belt

This is the first I've heard of it. I just looked it up and it looks pretty cool. There is also a kickboxing gym on South Oliver that I've heard good things about.

AndSoEyeKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
The Giff

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndSoEyeKnow
This is the first I've heard of it. I just looked it up and it looks pretty cool. There is also a kickboxing gym on South Oliver that I've heard good things about.
Do they have a website? I could not find anything.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
ketamine

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giff
Do they have a website? I could not find anything.
Gym website:
www.ultimatefitnesscenters.com/

BJJ class website:
www.stompingass.com
This website needs some work but take a look anyway.

I started training there a few months ago. I am very happy there. Large BJJ mat and full boxing ring. New weight area though the number of machines is limited. Machines that they have are first class though. It is mostly a BJJ and boxing gym though MMA classes are on Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Overall the guys that train there are cool. They weed out the assholes so keep that in mind if you are looking at joining. ;) I wouldn't expect any huge things in the MMA world from this gym, but time will tell. At least a couple of guys are looking to go to some shows and see how they do. The last I heard Matt Hughes is coming for a seminar early next year which is pretty cool. Come check it out.

Last edited by ketamine; 12-05-2006 at 12:55 PM.
ketamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
The Giff

Orange Belt

Who is the BB in the picture with John?
I used to train with them about a year ago when I was still living in Wichita but I am living in Wyoming right now. Hopefully I will be back in a month or so.
Is anyone there looking to compete?

Old 12-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
ketamine

Orange Belt

John with Roberto Tozi is likely the picture you are talking about. Tozzi is looking into MMA in the US so likely be seeing him here more often.

Also another BJJ BB in town Marcio Laselva that has classes at Genesis (I think) but also works with John from time to time.

I think a few guys are looking to fight in MMA events but still too early to say where that goes.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
The Giff

Orange Belt

I got to roll with Marcio right before I moved. He is the real deal no doubt. I just don't want to be associated with Genesis.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
ketamine

Orange Belt

Quote:
I got to roll with Marcio right before I moved. He is the real deal no doubt. I just don't want to be associated with Genesis.
I haven't meet him yet, but hear he is good.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
The Giff

Orange Belt

The place looks nice.
Have you tired Janjira Muay Thai? They used to have a website but I can't find it anymore.
They have some guys fighting now and just put on a show at the Cotillion. One of their guys (Doug Edwards) is fighting Mark Hominick this week in ROF.
I will look into those two places when I move back. Either one sounds good.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
ketamine

Orange Belt

Quote:
The place looks nice.
Have you tired Janjira Muay Thai? They used to have a website but I can't find it anymore.
They have some guys fighting now and just put on a show at the Cotillion. One of their guys (Doug Edwards) is fighting Mark Hominick this week in ROF.
I will look into those two places when I move back. Either one sounds good.
No I haven't looked into the other place. I got started too late in the game to really be serious about MMA so my main focus is straight BJJ, even though I don't even have enough time for that. At least that is something I can compete in and not worry about messing up my livelihood or worry about my family.

I was busy the weekend that there was a show at the Cotillion. Heard is was below average from the guys that were at our gym. Heard there was little technique and a lot of brawling, but who knows.

Like I said, Iím not sure if our gym is the best place to be if you are interested in competing in MMA though I could be wrong. I used to go to the MMA classes, but found I was much more interested in straight BJJ so I have focused my time there. With that said, maybe things have changed since I have been there so don't take my word for it. Without a doubt you will learn the ground game at our gym, (as you know) but think the MMA striking game is lacking right now. Check it out when you are back and see what you think though.