Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Worldwide MMA Discussion

Worldwide MMA Discussion This is the place for all non-UFC/WEC/Pride events, including Strikeforce, Affliction, HDNet Fights, Cage Rage, KOTC, ROTR, Shooto, and the like.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #91
Sano1

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor View Post
I watched her really struggle to make two throws and then turned off the video. It's obvious that the guy could have stopped those throws with even minimal resistance.

Anyone who has trained with women knows how GIGANTIC the strength difference is (for example, among female collegiate athletes, a bench press of 180 is considered fantastic). I stick by my comment that an average male could beat women mixed martial artists in the same weight class.
I completely disagree with you. I know there is a big strenght difference between well trained male and female athletes. That however is beside the point of this discussion.

Look at the origins of BJJ. How come the Gracies won all the fights back in the day, even though they often times were alot smaller and weaker then their opponents? Technique. Why did the Gracies pick Royce Gracie to represent them at UFC? Because he was the younger and smaller of the brothers and they wanted to show that technique beats strenght. And they did.

This has nothing to do with how much you benchpress. And an average untrained male doesn't even benchpress that much. Especially not in the 145lbs category. Are you claiming that the average joe weighing 140-160 lbs could beat Ronda Rousey up? That is really hard for me to comprehend. I train at a gym. Sometimes these huge bodybuilder types come around. Then they get ragdolled by guys weighing 150-160lbs and they never come back lol.

Hell, when I started I was 245lbs and I still got humiliated by guys half my size.

What do you think when you see that? Don't worry, you won't have to watch the entire video like last time, which you couldn't even do but still commented on it. This one is just one throw.

Sano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #92
Dreago

Black Belt

I don't want to see women fighting on UFC cards. Waste of a slot IMO.

Mauriciooooo Shogun!
www.dailymotion.com/video/x28q3a_grand-theft-title-saitama-city_extreme
Dreago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #93
spinitch

Blue Belt

give the gals a chance

Most Women's sports are not very popular, but wish they would give the gals a chance perhaps on under-cards, reserve bouts and/or free streams. It would be some decent PR for MMA in general and help bring in more women, as spectators too. Of course, would need to come close to breaking even, suggesting base pay pretty low, but with bonus potential and sponsorships might be able make a modest living.

Since Women's talent pool so small, these events would be infrequent until and if ever grows but even occasional super-bouts sharing women from other promo orgs would be something.

I am not aware of any professional ladies hockey anymore but there are a fair amount of women who do play, and thus do help support the industry, buying gear, icetime, and attending/watching other events.

Realize a lot of folks do not care to see even two men bash each other let alone women. Still there is opportunity to improve attitudes, while I am less interested but do have some interest and would watch and think the broader the involvement the better.

spinitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #94
Luiz Eduardo777

White Belt

Well well well, Ronda, pretty, sexy, tough, talented and got brains. Very good idea, girl, I love you more and more each day (As a fan, respectfully...). Perfect! Dana, listen to the girl. Let's flood Dana's twitter supporting the idea! What u guys think?

Luiz Eduardo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #95
Maximum007
Not A Can Crusher

vCash: 50
Flood Dana's twitter? I think you've lost your mind.

Rousey and Tate just seem sexy to most guys because of the the standard of looks in women's MMA which is really low. Rousey has an extremely large forehead. I don't find her attractive at all. Tate is decent. Realistically, outside of the MMA, they are just average looking women.

Gina Carano and Michelle Waterson are the only two beautiful women that's ever stepped foot in MMA.

Last edited by Maximum007; 11-26-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Maximum007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #96
Arkain2K
Si vis pacem, para bellum

vCash: 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan View Post
Most of those ladies will end up in Bellator anyways when Strikeforce folds.
I'm afraid that may be the case.

I Survived "TPF 10: Let the Stream Fail".
Arkain2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #97
Janderson Jilva

Green Belt

I think the UFC is a male league just like most other major pro sports organizations and should stay that way.

What they should do is make Strikeforce a woman's league.

Janderson Jilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #98
EzFlyer

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by omesa View Post
Speaking for myself, I'd rather not see WMMA on a UFC PPV card.
yea, i'm sorry, but i don't either. i just don't.

rousey seems awesome. cyborg's great.

that's fucking IT.

2011: +97u
2010: +94u
EzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #99
JJLong

Purple Belt

vCash: 650
If Rousey was able to run the gauntlet of Kaufman, Tate, and then Cyborg...

I think you could do a PPV match with Rousey vs Gina Carano, providing Carano gets a few more wins under he belt.

Doesn't have to be UFC branded, but it could be something similar to what the Aldo vs Faber PPV was.

JJLong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #100
Natural11

Blue Belt

I have no interest in watching female athletics, particularly MMA. I'm not sure what the appeal is in watching slower, weaker, smaller fighters. Even beyond the pure athletic side, it just feels wrong to me watching women fight. If that's sexist, so be it. I like women and don't get off on seeing them fight. It's just my opinion.

I'm not saying they shouldn't fight. They can do whatever they want. But if it's taking up slots on a UFC PPV, that'll be a card I'm probably not buying unless it's otherwise stacked.

Natural11 is offline   Reply With Quote