Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Worldwide MMA Discussion

Worldwide MMA Discussion This is the place for all non-UFC/WEC/Pride events, including Strikeforce, Affliction, HDNet Fights, Cage Rage, KOTC, ROTR, Shooto, and the like.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
KeeSmyth

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
How Big Of Set Back Is Dantes Loss

Dantes and Bellator staff must be devastated right now, this will highly likely last time we ever see a Bellator champ not compete in there cage, I hope Dantes can bounce back from this

Old 08-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
jodka
Regional Manager

It will be bad from a rankings standpoint, but nobody knew who he was anyway, so it won't effect Bellator much.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
YoungScholar

Purple Belt

Pretty big deal IMO, and this might change the way they structure contracts/handle champs fighting non title fights. Not a commercial fiasko or anything that will hurt them much financially (if at all) since they aren't doing PPV's but "selling"/hyping Galvao vs. Dantas will be a tough job.

Here's a YT video of the fight if anyone missed it:

At this point Bellator should surely try to sign Tyson Nam to their BW roster. If Galvao wins have him fight in the next BW tournament, and if Dantas wins have give the champ a chance to redeem his loss with an instant title-rematch against Dantas. That's my take on the whole thing anyways.

Last edited by YoungScholar; 08-25-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: EDIT: embedded YT vid
YoungScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Kuato Lives

Purple Belt

vCash: 3705
For Dantes? Yeah kinda sucks for him in the ratings. For Bellator? Nah they'll be fine. The vast majority of people tuning in are casuals who will have never heard anything about him and just want to get drunk and watch people punch each other.

Kuato Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Kingz

Black Belt

It's not a setback to Bellator from a growth standpoint but it's pretty bad. Considering he got KO'd.

They'll have to get this Tyson Nam guy and set up a rematch but it definitely shatters Dantas standing as one of the best..as well it should. Maybe it means there needs to be a look given to Tyson Nam.

Dantas is still an amazing talent. I don't know what exacly went down in this fight but shit happen. Dantas is a young guy,

Probably won't see anymore champions fighting outside the banner. It leaves the promotion open for egg in the face and the champions probably think they are getting a scrub to fight.

Kingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Amerikuracana

The rankings are already pro zuffa as if is, so losing one of their recognized top 10 fighters is not a great thing.

But I think it's good for the sport in a way, guys lose, it's mma. Dante's has looked great every time I have seen him, this does not erase that. We have another guy to watch for now, good for that guy. And goo for bellator giving their fighters the freedom to fight and stay busy. Bellator NOT having a knee jerk reaction to this is good for the sport IMO.. But of course, they are not happy.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
MolesyMMA

Silver Belt

Dantas will bounce back from this big upset and win but Galvao is no joke. I don't think they'll let champions fight outside anymore though, a loss really hurts Bellators credibility.

I think Dantas would win a rematch. Tyson has a Bellator contract so hopefully he can get through to tourney to Dantas.

Rick Glenn HL - youtu.be/x0HjdQLklAQ
MolesyMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Kingz

Black Belt

Tyson Nam has a Bellator contract? If thats true, that lessens the blow big time.

Kingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
MolesyMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
Tyson Nam has a Bellator contract? If thats true, that lessens the blow big time.
According to Matheus Aquino, who is an mma promoter and manager for pitbull bros and more.

Rick Glenn HL - youtu.be/x0HjdQLklAQ
MolesyMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
5H3RD0G

Red Belt

I guess Dantas has chinny chin chin music blues. He is a good young upcoming fighter. He can bounce back but I think he needs to get things on the ground as I feel that is when he is at his best. He needs better defense, that was an odd KO.

5H3RD0G is offline   Reply With Quote